PDA

View Full Version : Great Movie Ride...needing a few newer movies?

KevMcNJ
02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Its still a mandatory ride, but Im thinking it hasnt changed in 20 years.

someone under 40 years old has no idea what half those characters or movies are.
I do know that last year we were talking to a very nice young couple in a line and they didnt like the Great Movie Ride becasue they didnt know any of the movies. Never heard of most of the movies included in the ride

Im thinking if they want to stay with the mobster theme, they could go with "Goodfellas"

Tarzan? Im 43 and a movie geek and I have never seen a Tarzan film. Totally lost on half the riders I bet.

The 1930s musical in the beginning? I bet 95% of the guests werent alive when that was released.

Theres been some real good westerns made over tha past 20 years that younger guests could relate to better than a 40 year old spaghetti western. "Young Guns" "Unforgiven" etc

May be blasphemy to some, but I think its time for a refurb to lose some of the dead wood and throw in some movies that were made in the 80s or 90s.
My wife suggested having a scene from "Back to the Future" included.

I have no idea how Move rights are handled of course so I dont know what movie could or could not be used

Its still a fun ride but its out of date and needing a facelift

JMHO.

thoughts?

mom2morgan
02-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Its still a mandatory ride, but Im thinking it hasnt changed in 20 years.

someone under 40 years old has no idea what half those characters or movies are.
I do know that last year we were talking to a very nice young couple in a line and they didnt like the Great Movie Ride becasue they didnt know any of the movies. Never heard of most of the movies included in the ride

Im thinking if they want to stay with the mobster theme, they could go with "Goodfellas"

Tarzan? Im 43 and a movie geek and I have never seen a Tarzan film. Totally lost on half the riders I bet.

The 1930s musical in the beginning? I bet 95% of the guests werent alive when that was released.

Theres been some real good westerns made over tha past 20 years that younger guests could relate to better than a 40 year old spaghetti western. "Young Guns" "Unforgiven" etc

May be blasphemy to some, but I think its time for a refurb to lose some of the dead wood and throw in some movies that were made in the 80s or 90s.
My wife suggested having a scene from "Back to the Future" included.

I have no idea how Move rights are handled of course so I dont know what movie could or could not be used

JMHO.

thoughts?

I like them keeping with the classics! There is plenty of other entertainment at DHS (and over at Universal) that showcases more current movies, and not much for the classics. And actually, "Singin' in the Rain" is the all time FAVOURITE movie of my 16 year old daughter, and my 10 year old was ecstatic over Wizard of Oz.

Camping Mom
02-14-2009, 11:14 PM
As a 50 something female, I grew up watching the Tarzan movies on Sunday afternoons on TV. I love the Ruby Keeler movies and the Busby Berkley movies. I would like to see the movies changed out in the waiting area, though. Since it isn't sponsored by MGM anymore, that can open up a lot of movies to be shown in the queque.

Septbride2002
02-14-2009, 11:41 PM
I personaly wouldn't care if the whole thing was updated.

Mickey91
02-14-2009, 11:44 PM
The GMR isn't about hollywood today. It is about the hey day of Hollywood. The Great Movie Ride takes us through some of the most beloved and treasured movies of all time. It is almost the whole point that some people won't be familiar with it. It is showcasing and teaching about how hollywood really got its start, beginning with popular musicals all the way through to westerns and action films like Indiana Jones and then a showing of where hollywood has evolved to through the movie clips of both classic and newer films. It is nostalgia at its best. I hope the actual ride never changes. As for the movie clips at the beginning, I guess I could live with a new reel of older teasers, but I love seeing Mary Poppins being introduced as a new Disney film at the theaters. I have only seen it as a TV special as a kid and now on DVD. It's cool to see the reels as actual movie theater movies. The ending reels are occassionaly updated but very subtley.

DisneyGlutton
02-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I totally agree that the GMR could use a renovation. While I don't think all the old movies should be scrapped, as it is billed as a trip through the movies, I like the idea of including some more broadly recognizable movies. The only movies that I've seen are Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz, Alien, Indiana Jones, and Fantasia. Maybe I should rent some old classics, but I never do, lol. At least they have the reel at the end with more modern fare.

My ultimate ideal addition would be Lord of the Rings. Between that and Star Tours, I would actually want to go to HS!

Btw, I don't know if they could include Back to the Future because I'm not sure if they could license it (it used to be a ride at Universal Studios for sure).

gresh00
02-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Most people in 1989 were too young to appreciate those 1930s musicals, Singing in the Rain, Casablanca, or Wizard of Oz either. People back then complained they weren't familiar with many of the scenes depicted on the ride. NOT THE POINT.

That ride is there as a salute to classic films - you do board the ride at the entrance to Mann's Chinese Theatre. If they wanted it to be modern they'd change the front facade to an AMC Googleplex Cinema.

The Alien sequence that was put in to give it a more "modern feel" still works because it has gone on to be a classic film. I perish the thought of them adding some scenes of the latest Pixar or Disney fluff film along side Giants like Indiana Jones, Mary Poppins, Jimmy Cagney, Bogey, or John Wayne just to appear more current.

If they were to change anything it would be to add more scenes of classic films and not update it with some of today's fluff.

LauraleeH
02-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm 21 and I prefer classic movies over the junk that is produced these days, so I don't want them to change! I will say, I'd probably move in if they added It's A Wonderful Life or any James Stewart film :thumbsup:

crazygoalie39
02-15-2009, 12:00 AM
The GMR isn't about hollywood today. It is about the hey day of Hollywood. The Great Movie Ride takes us through some of the most beloved and treasured movies of all time. It is almost the whole point that some people won't be familiar with it. It is showcasing and teaching about how hollywood really got its start, beginning with popular musicals all the way through to westerns and action films like Indiana Jones and then a showing of where hollywood has evolved to through the movie clips of both classic and newer films. It is nostalgia at its best. I hope the actual ride never changes. As for the movie clips at the beginning, I guess I could live with a new reel of older teasers, but I love seeing Mary Poppins being introduced as a new Disney film at the theaters. I have only seen it as a TV special as a kid and now on DVD. It's cool to see the reels as actual movie theater movies. The ending reels are occassionaly updated but very subtley.

Ditto. No update needed here. It's not about Hollywood now. It's about the good ol' days.

tiggerandpooh63
02-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I totally agree the ride should be updated to include at least a few modern movies. I think it seems terribly outdated.

Buttercup
02-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm 31, which is definitely under 40 and I know all those movies. :thumbsup: I agree, perhaps *some* of the scenes could be changed to include "newer classics" that have had a huge effect on the film industry, but you can't possibly remove all the classics like Wizard of Oz, or Singing in the Rain. That would change the entire point of the ride!

WDW_Obsessed
02-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I love the GMR just the way it is. I agree with others that it's about the "old hollywood" more so than the modern day movies. I'm 26 and I not only recognize all of the films in the ride, but I would much rather see that than a representation of any films today. I personally feel that great movies are few and far between now-a-days, but that's just me. However, I wouldn't be opposed to them adding some more current movies to the montage at the end:mickey:

Meteora
02-15-2009, 12:29 PM
I personally think the ride could use some updates. I get that it's about the heyday of Hollywood, and I'm not suggesting they change the major classics like Gene Kelly or Casablanca. However, Alien? Really? I just don't see that as one of the great all-time classics, on the same level as Singin' in the Rain or The Wizard of Oz. And I do think Tarzan is getting a bit outdated, particularly since there's no mention that Disney themselves redid Tarzan as an animated feature. Also, while it celebrates the golden age of Hollywood, it includes Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was from much later. The Great Movie Ride is about great movies, bottom line, and some great movies have been made since the ride came into existence.

My ultimate ideal addition would be Lord of the Rings. Between that and Star Tours, I would actually want to go to HS!

I'd love that also, and I feel that they could change Tarzan into LotR while maintaining some of what is already there.

Mendelson
02-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't think it should be changed for the sake of being politically correct, but I am surprised at how few black actors are represented.

In that whole entire ride, with all the films represented and with the montage at the end, I think you see a grand total of three black actors - one being depicted as a criminal and another as a rabble-rousing malcontent. (The three I can think of are Whoopi Goldberg from Sister Act, Eddie Murphy in Trading Places and Denzel Washington in Malcom X.)

ASweetLov
02-15-2009, 02:59 PM
I love the Great Movie Ride and I am 25 years old. I think younger people of today just need to watch more older/classic movies.

Wishmaker
02-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I love the Great Movie Ride and I am 25 years old. I think younger people of today just need to watch more older/classic movies.

You said it, I am trying to give my daughter the classic culture. The ride wouldn't be the same if it were changed. Two things however, 1. The movie in the front needs some additional scenes. Even when you don't wait long you still see the thing play about 5 times.
2. The film strip at the end plays new and old. That to me is the only need for any new movies. This ride shows you where and how it all began.

TinkerbellT421
02-15-2009, 09:29 PM

Im 24 and now all of those movies. I agree with you one hundred percent. Ninety percent of the people our age just have to get their heads out of the sand and look beyond the two feet in front of them and explore the old classics. A lot of people cant even believe the music I listen too. I might not have been born during the making of it, but doesnt mean I dont have good enough taste to see it or listen to it. Some people just don't know how to broaden their horizons. GMR is a classic and should stay that way.

disneyboy98
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree 100% with the later posters in saying that I am in my 20s (28 to be exact) and for me, TGMR is nostalgic. It's not so much the movies that are being represented but the genres that are being represented through the movies that they use. I teach a media studies course at my high school and we do stop and talk about the different genres there are in films (musicals, horror, western, romance, comedy, etc.). All of my students were born in the 90s and since I am still considered "young" I have actually used clips from the movies that are shown in TGMR (because they are considered "the classics") to show my students where the genres have originated and grown over the course of time. We have actually watched a small clip from Alien (the movie trailer) and talked about how the horror genre has grown from back then into what we have today. We even have gone back to talk for a bit about the old movies such as Frankenstein and Dracula. Even though we look at these movies from the past, the students can actually see little bits of movie tricks and elements that the movie makers used in the past and how they are still used by Hollywood today.

Plus, for alot of us (the younger ones), we see these movies being used in TGMR and it makes us (at least myself) go out to our local movie store and rent the movies that we would never have thought to look at before (Public Enemy, Singing in the Rain, movies by Clint Eastwood and John Wayne).

The nice thing though is that, at the end, the montage of movies that play still represent the films from the past and the blockbusters of today.

Keep it the same, just update the movie at then end every year or so!

Tinkerbell19
02-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I like the GMR how it is! Classic :cool:! Hollywood movies at their prime. I was born in 1982 and I will say at first going on this ride I didn't know most these movie. The cool thing is...it made me want to go out and watch these movies :popcorn:. They really are classics! There is a reason why they have them in the ride. I have an appreciation for these classic movies now. I watched Signin in the Rain and that is now one of my favorite movies :thumbsup:! I've watched most of those and I ended up loving them. And I'm 26 years old! That was the cool thing for me. It's is also pretty neat after you see these movies you can remember the parts they show in the que. I love the difference from todays movies to the older movies. You all should try and watch some of them. They are great :clappy:!

alilprincessmom99
02-16-2009, 09:46 AM
I think the attraction should be left as is. Like others have said, the purpose of the attraction is to show the "heyday" of Hollywood. I personally love the classic movies, and although I can't name them all, it still thrills me to see the "oldies" on showcase!

The only think that needs to be updated would be the ending film sequence. They should update that every other year or so.

DakandZakMom
02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
They should NOT change the Great Movie Ride. I am in my 30's and I love all of the older movies. My DS's also love this ride but I have always tried to introduce them to all different types of movies. Some of their favorite movies are the old musicals. :thumbsup:

:mickey:

RocknBev
02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I am in the majority of posters that believe leave the ride alone but update the movie clip at the end!
If they want something more recent with regards to movies...they could have a 'Kodak Theatre' replica with the red carpet and Oscar statues in front.....you know...those things that seem to be given out to movies I never see anymore.

SBETigg
02-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Making major changes to the ride would be ridiculous. It's a tribute to classic movies. Classic means they stand up to time and last through history. Most people I know do know these movies, even my kids and their teenage friends. Some people are not interested in films and cinematic history. I don't think they make up a majority. This ride, perhaps, is not for them.

Meteora
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Some people just don't know how to broaden their horizons. GMR is a classic and should stay that way.

I don't think those two thoughts go hand in hand at all. I have seen all the movies in the ride, and love many of them dearly. It doesn't mean that, after having been on the ride 15+ times, I don't crave something a little new or different. People wanting updates might have nothing to do with not knowing or loving the movies in there. I don't want this to turn into people who enjoy classic movies versus people who don't. That's not what it is.

Making major changes to the ride would be ridiculous. It's a tribute to classic movies.

I agree. But if someone could explain to me why something like Alien is more of a "classic" than something like Lord of the Rings, I'd be interested, but I'd also think it is very subjective. The fact that many older movies are classics doesn't mean that significant and classic pieces of cinema have not been made since the ride opened two decades ago.

DixieBelle
02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
I personally think the ride could use some updates. I get that it's about the heyday of Hollywood, and I'm not suggesting they change the major classics like Gene Kelly or Casablanca. However, Alien? Really? I just don't see that as one of the great all-time classics, on the same level as Singin' in the Rain or The Wizard of Oz.

I agree, the Alien scene is the strangest part of the ride. It seems they could easily update that part to Star Wars. The rest of the ride is fine with us....:mickey:

SBETigg
02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I agree. But if someone could explain to me why something like Alien is more of a "classic" than something like Lord of the Rings, I'd be interested, but I'd also think it is very subjective. The fact that many older movies are classics doesn't mean that significant and classic pieces of cinema have not been made since the ride opened two decades ago.

This is true. There are movies out now that will be classics and could be called so now, but which would you boot to make room for new ones? Alien, you're offering. But I feel it's relevant in it's own way and LOTR wasn't released at the time of building. The old ones are still classic and still relevant and there are people who have still never been to Disney or seen this attraction. Should Disney continually update rides to cater to the return visitors? At the possible expense of creating new attractions, because major refurb can be costly? It's a valid question.

I think it courts more problems than it's worth in most cases because even return visitors tend to look for things to be the same and make a fuss when Disney tries to change things. So I'm still against changing the current classics just to add potential new classics, but perhaps it was a little harsh to call the idea ridiculous. But for the reason originally offered, the suggestion that people under 40 haven't seen these movies, I disagree with that statement and with changing for that reason.

Mousemates
02-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I agree, the Alien scene is the strangest part of the ride. It seems they could easily update that part to Star Wars. The rest of the ride is fine with us....:mickey:

I agree...alien is hardly a classic. And certainly not on a par with the LOTR or star wars trilogies.

TinkerbellT421
02-17-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't think those two thoughts go hand in hand at all. I have seen all the movies in the ride, and love many of them dearly. It doesn't mean that, after having been on the ride 15+ times, I don't crave something a little new or different. People wanting updates might have nothing to do with not knowing or loving the movies in there. I don't want this to turn into people who enjoy classic movies versus people who don't. That's not what it is.

They do go hand in hand in response to the original post saying that 20 somethings dont know what is going on with those movies. I dont think they should change a classic ride, based on "classic" movies, just because some 20 somethings dont know whats going on. So in that sense, yes my statement does go hand in hand. A lot of younger people my age "20 somethings" dont know how to broaden their horizons, and maybe look farther down the road. A lot of people would agree that because some decide they would rather stay stuck in whats going on now than to go back to see how it all started, or how things pushed the bar in the past, make them stay stuck in whats going on now. And not teaching themselves or learning anything new.

And I personally do not think that Lord of The Rings can be consider, at this time, a "classic". Maybe Star Wars but not LOTR. But thats just in my personal opinion.

Meteora
02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Should Disney continually update rides to cater to the return visitors? At the possible expense of creating new attractions, because major refurb can be costly? It's a valid question.

That is the question, and it's certainly a stumbling block, as I agree with others that most of the movies in the ride should not be touched. I do think Alien is a little random, so I wouldn't mind that being altered--I personally never understood why they went for that over Star Wars, and assumed it was because Harrison Ford was already in the ride and that the park has Star Tours. I also am a bit "meh" on Tarzan in its current incarnation, firstly because I personally don't consider that movie "up there" with some of the other movies in the ride, classic though it may be, and secondly because my car always manages to move almost entirely through the ride with no appearance from Tarzan. I can hear him swinging behind me, but I'd have to physically turn around in my seat to catch a glimpse. There must be a better way.

That being said, I agree about the movie at the end. To me, there are a few movies in there that have become sort of outdated (I'm not sure I could justify the inclusion of Three Men and a Baby, which I don't really see as a classic or important movie at this time), and a few that are clearly there because they're Disney. It's time to spruce it up a bit.

AXOAlum
02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
You said it, I am trying to give my daughter the classic culture. The ride wouldn't be the same if it were changed. Two things however, 1. The movie in the front needs some additional scenes. Even when you don't wait long you still see the thing play about 5 times.
2. The film strip at the end plays new and old. That to me is the only need for any new movies. This ride shows you where and how it all began.

:ditto: and :ditto:

I agree with both. I don't think there needs to be other updates, but both of these would be great! :mickey:

GothMickey
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
The Great Movie Ride is not about former Hollywood. It is about great movies in the history of Hollywood. When the ride opened, Alien wasn't all that old. Neither was Indiana Jones. I have no problems with them changing out some scenes and adding some new classic movies.

SBETigg
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
I think we're overlooking why the classic films represented were chosen in the first place. Alien may seem a little more random on the surface. And maybe people don't like it, or they have found newer films that they prefer. But the fact is that all of the classic films represented are not only classic, but they have contributed to cinematic history and the way the film industry has been shaped for the films of today.

You would have to consider what films define their time, or have made an impact on the kinds of films people make and watch now and in the future. Is LOTR going to have the impact? What has it changed about cinema? Has it paved the way for more epic fantasy in film the way Alien created a whole new genre of space horror and helped shaped science fiction? Possibly. The films represented have all made that kind of lasting impact not just as a one-off movie, but as something that defines their time and has had long term impact on cinema.

Goes4FastPass
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Of course update it. I can't imagin why anyone would not want it updated.

SBETigg
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
To address the original poster's point, I would also add that it's perhaps not just about showing scenes of movies everyone will have seen. It's about introducing classic films to a new audience. So maybe a twenty-something goes in not having much awareness of Singing in the Rain, but they come out and decide to look it up. I know I've come out thinking that I really ought to see the few represented movies that I haven't seen and I've come home, rented those films, and enjoyed them.

AdventurerKim
02-17-2009, 01:27 PM
I would be in favor of updates but not changing it all totally, but keeping it the same is fine. I love that ride! :mickey:

TheVBs
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I would have to vote for updates too. Not on a grand scale! Keep most of the classics. But there are a couple of movie scenes that could be fluid and updated every so often. Imagine the excitement if LOTR were added and how many more people would be exposed to the wonderful classics already represented. :mickey:

caryrae
02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't mind a change, how about some Disney Classics. Like,

20,000 leagues
Davy Crockett
Old Yeller
The Parent Trap
Herbie The Love Bug

Maybe not not up there with the classics on the ride now but still good movies.

JRocker
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I have to completely disagree with the notion that anybody under 40 doesn't know the movies in that ride.
I know several people under 40 that have seen those movies and love them.

I agree that the clips running at the queue and at the end of the ride could use some updating. I especially like the idea of adding more trailers to the queue movie.

As far as the argument about what is classic and what isn't; if you garnered a top 100 classics list from 300 people, you would get 300 different opinions.
For example: I feel like Alien is a classic for reasons of overall impact on the movie business. I also feel like Lord of the Rings is an awesome set of movies, but not a classic.

Could the ride stand an update, sure. A minor one. I don't necessarily think they should change the movie lineup, but maybe play with the scenes a bit. I think a full blown refurb (changing movies etc.) would be just a little too much.
There is a lot they could do with the musical scenes, western scenes, and mobster scenes, that wouldn't change the lineup enough to disrupt the ride, but it would change the ride enough give it a "fresh" feel.

wdwjoe
02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Here is my take as a 29 year old:
The queue area-I love these previews, especially the old movies. I went and saw Singing in the Rain and Casablanca because of these previews. Just maybe add a few more previews of movies that you see on the ride.
For the ride itself, get rid of the gangster schtick and change those areas of the ride into other movie sets. So, rather than subtracting some of the movies, add to the generic part. Would probably also save Disney money on staffing.
If you are going to add new movies, try to go with those on the AFI top 100 list. I think Forrest Gump, LOTR are on the list. Not sure who owns the rights to them though.
I think the horror area also could be redone, as well as the Tarzan area.

Imagineer1981
02-18-2009, 05:57 PM
I am 27 and barely know half of the movies in that attraction. I think its great that they have the classics, and they should be represented, but condensed now. I am not saying I want to go through the "Pirates of the Carribean" scene or anything like that, but some just need to be updated....

The musicals/mary poppins are fine, short and to the point

The gangster/western scenes are generic...so leave them but with a freshening, add Goodfellas or another more modern gangster flick in there as well.

Alien - remove and update

Indiana jones is still very valid so keep it.

Horror flicks - keep and update with a few new effects/characters

Tarzan - see ya later...UPDATE

Casablanca - remove and update

Fantasia - you could represent that somewhere else, maybe have a bigger section on the "animated movie" impact. Perhaps the casablanca scene is 3d with Pixar and classic Disney films?

Wizard of Oz - timeless so keep it

DisneyPrincess21
02-19-2009, 09:59 PM

JMHO.

thoughts?

I agree that to some it may be "outdated" but that's the beauty of the ride. It's all the old movies that everyone has loved at one point. And maybe it helps introduce movies to people that they maybe have never seen. Speaking as a 20 something, I personally love all of the movies featured in the ride. And some other people my age might benefit from a little movie history and nostalgia. All of the featured movies in the ride are iconic and I personally can't miss riding it every time I am in the park. It's usually the first ride I go on when at mgm
(sorry I just refuse to call it Hollywood Studio's, It's just not right! lol) :D
Too many things are always changing to "update" to the new trend. But I will happily stay with the great movie ride the way it is. They can add things, just don't take anything away and replace things. :humph:

Goes4FastPass
02-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I think this attraction could use an update because it should present movies from the long past right up to the present. Perhaps a changable scene or two near the end would make it easier to let the attraction seem up to date.

I do not think the content of the attraction should be determined by what movies young people list as valid and invalid based on their personal preferences, "Tarzan - see ya later...UPDATE" "Casablanca - remove and update".

Since it's been more than 40 years since Walt Disney died should the company remove all references to Walt Disney from Walt Disney World?

DisneyPrincess21
02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I do not think the content of the attraction should be determined by what movies young people list as valid and invalid based on their personal preferences,

Since it's been more than 40 years since Walt Disney died should the company remove all references to Walt Disney from Walt Disney World?

Man, If they only had movies in the ride that young people would like, That ride would be terrible. Now if you changed it to this "young person's" movie likes it would be good, But I am the exception to the young person rule. Because I like the classics as well as the good new movies.
As far as taking all references of Walt, out of Walt Disney World,That would be an abomination! :mickey:

ojeilatan
02-20-2009, 12:53 PM
The only thing I could see as a good addition, would maybe be some of the movies that have been placed on the Top 100 movies list in the last 40 years. I agree, the ride is about the classics; I'd be really disappointed if John Wayne was taken out especially and I'm only 20! As a member of the younger generation, I see the ride as a chance to see Hollywood in it's glory days - some movies now, are indeed classics, but some are just utter trash. And I think the other problem in adding new movies is that movies are allowed to be much more controversial these days, and not fitting to be represented in a Disney Park.

And honestly, I'd be afraid they'd just make it all Disney movies :(

On a side note, is 'Back to the Future' owned by Universal? I'm not sure Disney could use it. I've assumed all the movies represented were Paramount films, but I could be wrong.

Daisy'sMom
02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Keep GMR as it is. It is a tribute to the classics, not the junk, (yes, junk) from the past 25 years. How could you even call it the great movie ride with the stuff they have now?:mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
As someone under the age of 40 (until June that is), Leave the ride as is. It is referencing the great old movies that have contributed to the movies of today becoming what they are. I've personally seen all of the movies from the ride.

The only complaint I have about the entire ride....is with the mobster scene....the male Busgy CMs are just so much better than the females.....Just my most humble opinion.

Mfarquar
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
I agree, as someone in my 20s, I LOVE the GMR. Most of those films are consistently ranked in the Top 100 films of ALL TIME, year after year.

They are ESSENTIALS for anyone interested in film.

I first rode it back in '89 when I was 9 years old and recognized and seen most of the films and stars.

Don't underestimate Alien, however. It is for certain a classic, and is used as an example of quintessential horror/suspense. I'm not a fan, but you have to give credit where it is due.

I think the film is still very much relevant. In fact, I went to a taping for MTV's "10 Biggest Bad***es of All Time" for MTV2 broadcast 2 weekends ago, and Ripley from Alien was ranked #2. I'm 28 and everyone was younger than I was (except Method Man and the guy from 30 Rock who hosting!).

johnO
02-21-2009, 11:02 AM
I know all of the movies in the ride and I'm under 40. If they had to remove a part I'd say the "alien" portion.

I'm not impressed by many of the current films. The utter filth that comes out of hollywood produced by the sickest minds of our generation.

pink
02-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I love your Back to the Future idea. That would be a great addition to the ride. However, I have to tell you I'm only 19 and I know a large majority of the movies they have on the ride. Even I don't know who someone is or what movie something is from, I still enjoy it.

If I could change anything from that ride I would change the Alien scene around a little. You see the alien pop out of the celing and then nobody notices when he pops out of the wall because the car has already turned the corner.:mickey:

iluvdumbo
02-22-2009, 01:00 PM
my mom and i were talking to a college intern at HS and he said that they will be changing the ride since all of the movies in the ride are MGM movies and MGM doesnt own the park anymore. idk what movies are going in there, but they are changing them

im 15 and i know most of those movies in the ride. i will be sad when they change it :(

IamBelle
02-22-2009, 02:03 PM
I like the nostalgic (sp?) feeling of GMR, and I am 16 and know almost all of those movies, they are all classics. At the end when they show clips, I am pretty sure they throw in some more recent ones. I think they put in some Toy Story (I think when Buzz says "To Infinity and Beyond") I know there are others too.

PETE FROM NYC
02-22-2009, 03:14 PM
I just read each and every post in this thread. Now its time for my two cents.
I am 58 years old, and have visited the Studios a bunch of times. I think GMR is a classic attraction that tries to showcase classic movies and does a pretty good job of it. Except for one or two of the films shown at the end, I think I have seen every movie depicted,some more times that I can remember. I think that maybe the clips shown at the end could be periodically updated, but thats about it.That would cost practically nothing.Do I like each depiction? Heck no!
I never liked Alien, or its sequels.For the sci-fi genre, I would have preferred something more like Forbidden Planet,or maybe The Day the Earth Stood Still.
I love the old Tarzan movies, but I think that the Tarzan part could have, should have, been done on a much smaller scale.
As for the posters who liked Lord of the Rings, I did not like them.
No one mentioned Harry Potter and I did not like those either.
I don't think liking this ride has too much to do with a persons age. Its just different strokes for different folks.

Imagineer1981
02-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I think this attraction could use an update because it should present movies from the long past right up to the present. Perhaps a changable scene or two near the end would make it easier to let the attraction seem up to date.

I do not think the content of the attraction should be determined by what movies young people list as valid and invalid based on their personal preferences, "Tarzan - see ya later...UPDATE" "Casablanca - remove and update".

I was not saying that Tarzan or Casablanca are not valid movie, just I don't think they need all the space dedicated to them, they could easily be mixed into more of a montage. Maybe Tarzan is combined with the animated Tarzan and other jungle themed films? Group films more as montages could be cool, with real classic like Wizard of Oz standing alone

PrettyMinnie
02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Updates would be welcomed!! :minnie:

Rhetoric2000
02-24-2009, 06:26 AM
I think it's a major shame that the Great Movie Ride is no longer one of the headline attractions at DHS - I mean it really should be number one at the park by all rights. Sadly the quality of the ride has dwindled along with its popularity and I'd love to see it return to its glory days with a number of changes - although very few of those changes would involve altering the movies depicted:

- Either do the hijack properly or not at all. At the moment this section is an embarrassment. For attractions like this Disney cannot cast people by numbers or by length of service - they need to be auditioned. Properly. And actually this goes for all the guides on this ride. With the number of able employees Disney has with a sense of entertainment there is NO excuse for people to be fumbling on their lines, on their confidence with the public, their ability to be heard clearly even if the mic breaks and for the hijackers their acting ability. All of these things have been poor the last few years I've been. This attraction NEEDS high quality human presentation, and too often it hasn't been getting it.

- Get rid of Disney references (no - hang on let me explain) - they should all be in the Animation Courtyard section along with this ride's equivalent of Disney classics in what is now the Playhouse Disney building. This should be an Oasis away from the traditional Disney feel into the world of Hollywood.

- Amend anything that is repetitious across the park. That means taking out Indiana Jones and Star Wars references. The Indiana Jones section in the ride is probably the largest and could house two, possibly three new scenes.

- Take Tarzan out. As others have said, it doesn't really belong amidst classic films.

- The Wizard of Oz bit at the end feels tired. I'm not saying change the movie, but the nature of the scene needs to be changed.

- I'd keep all the other movies referered to as is. The Cagney and Western scenes especially remain wonderful (until they get ruined by non-actors).

And of course most of all:

- Get rid of the stupid purple eyesore blocking the outside view of it.

Marker
02-24-2009, 08:35 AM
It occurs to me that The Great Movie Ride perhaps suffers from the a similar dilemma as The Carousel Of Progress. As the ride ages, and the span of years widens, do you sacrifice what is there in order to get the ride more current?

The Great Movie Ride opened in 1989, at which time Alien was only 10 years old, and Raiders Of The Lost Ark was only 8 years old. So, at the time of it's opening, the ride depicted both classic Hollywood, and more contemporary Hollywood.

While many folks may welcome an upgrade, they'd have a very difficult time reaching a consensus on which scenes to sacrifice. for the sake of modernization.