PDA

View Full Version : Tips at Buffets

bob6572
02-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Do you still give the 18-20% tip on a buffet or do you go down to 10% since there is no table service??

Strmchsr
02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Most of the buffets there is table service. They bring you drinks, clean up plates, and are fairly attentive. So, yeah, there's still the "suggested" tip of 18-20% on the bill.

DisneyGlutton
02-14-2009, 05:11 PM
It depends on how attentive they are; I've had both good and bad service at WDW buffets. Maybe I am mean but I usually tip 15% at buffets instead of my usual 20%, since it seems to me that they do a little less than at normal TS.

jonahbear2006
02-14-2009, 09:48 PM
The buffets I feel differently about. I really wish they would just pay these waiters a wage and give us a beverage counter. I'll get my drinks. I dont care for people taking our plates, its aggravating and distracting. You are already spending $35 a person and waiting on yourself, why tip too? I have to tip them more 3% more actually, than I would tip someone at say, Texas roadhouse, that would actually wait on me, and all they do is bring a drink and take away a plate.

PETE FROM NYC
02-14-2009, 10:55 PM
The buffets I feel differently about. I really wish they would just pay these waiters a wage and give us a beverage counter. I'll get my drinks. I dont care for people taking our plates, its aggravating and distracting. You are already spending $35 a person and waiting on yourself, why tip too? I have to tip them more 3% more actually, than I would tip someone at say, Texas roadhouse, that would actually wait on me, and all they do is bring a drink and take away a plate.

As a former bartender,I think I realize the value of a tip.At a full service restaurant,I will usually do 15-20%,depending on the level of service.
However,at a buffet,I personally feel that you receive very little service in comparison.That means for me to tip so highly,there must be very high service.Thats something I have never found at any buffet,Disney or outside.I feel that a dollar or two,per diner is appropriate.
If fellow intercotees feel that I am just being a cheapskate,please let me know.I have thick skin.
BTW We only do the breakfast buffets,not lunch or dinner.

TheRustyScupper
02-15-2009, 12:08 AM
1) Buffet tips norm are 5%-10% in the USA, or less.
2) They servers just do not do enough work for 15%-20%.
. . . they do not take orders
. . . they do not verify the order from the kitchen
. . . they do not tailor a meal or side dishes like a server
3) In fact, servers do about the same labor as a bus-person.
. . . fill beverages
. . . clear plates
. . . reset tables

NOTE: We usually leave $2-$3 per person at a buffet. Bus-people just are not worth that much more. In fact, if one of my people come off the road with receipts for more than 10% tips at buffets, the expense reimbursement is refused as excessive.

beksy
02-15-2009, 12:19 AM
We tip at the buffets the way we do everywhere else, it all depends on the level of service.

jonahbear2006
02-15-2009, 02:40 AM
my question is how do you get past this at a disney buffet. the way we understood it was that you had to pay both at the same time and we weren't given an option. 1900 park fare we had a waiter who paid special attention to us and he did earn his money. He also paid special attention to the fact that it was our daughter's birthday. Other than that, I haven't felt any of the other buffets warranted that tip.

DisneyBabies
02-15-2009, 10:02 AM
jonahbear2006- How many people did you have in your party? Disney automatically adds an 18% gratuity for groups of 6 or more. However, you should never be pressured to leave more than what you feel is appropriate. If you don't feel the service waranted the gratuity they were asking for, you should speak with a manager and let them know you are leaving what you feel is the right amount for a tip. Also, were you on the DDP and that's why you felt you didn't have a choice but to give whatever tip they wanted? Because we are on the DDP for our upcoming trip and I will leave a cash tip (instead of using my KTTWC to pay for the tips), that way they will get what I think they deserve and not what they want me to give them. Also doing it that way, you don't have to "pay both at the same time".

And I am with everyone else. I don't think buffets should require more than a dollar or two per person for a tip. I worked in a buffet place and a "ts" restaurant and I never expected to make as much for the buffet as I did for my other job because I didn't do nearly the same amount of work at the buffet. Did I make sure everyone had drink refills and take away dirty dishes? Yes. Did I give the guests a smile and the most prompt and helpful service as I gave at the other restaurant? Of course! But it still wasn't nearly the work I did at the other restaurant and I didn't expect to get "paid" as much as I did at the other place.

And I will tip @ WDW the same way I would at a comparable restaurant at home.

Wishmaker
02-15-2009, 03:30 PM
As a former bartender,I think I realize the value of a tip.At a full service restaurant,I will usually do 15-20%,depending on the level of service.
However,at a buffet,I personally feel that you receive very little service in comparison.That means for me to tip so highly,there must be very high service.Thats something I have never found at any buffet,Disney or outside.I feel that a dollar or two,per diner is appropriate.
If fellow intercotees feel that I am just being a cheapskate,please let me know.I have thick skin.
BTW We only do the breakfast buffets,not lunch or dinner.

I agree 100%. They can be helpful and annoying all at the same time. The last buffet I went to they took my plate while I was in the restroom, my daughter was at the table and the witress just came up took my plate didn't ask if I was finished or not. Angered me.

DizneyRox
02-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Be advised though, according to Disney, both are an 18% tip. The Tables in Wonderland program automagically adds the 18% tip to the bill regardless of if it's a buffet or a full service meal. I won't get into the whole forced gratuity issue, it could get ugly.

nicjohn3
02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree about paying 18% tip at a buffet. I do not feel they work as hard for "Me" as a regular sit down Ts meal. We usually have paid 10% at the buffets in WDW, but have occasionally done more because they earned it with us. I start deducting from tips when--I have to balance my plate on top of the others at the table and ask my my drink refill or ask for the check.

I know they work for their tips, but I usually dont take as long at the table at a buffet as I would at a regular TS (sit down). The turn around in customers is greater too.

Dont get me wrong, I do believe being a waitress/waiter is a hard job-dont think I could do it.

Seasonscraps
02-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I tip about the same percentage for a buffet as I do a regular table service meal. I would be uncomfortable to leave less. It works out to be less of a tip because the price of the meal is usually lower too.

thrillme
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
For me it depends BIG TIME on the service. In general 10% is enough. BUT I'll tip a healthy 15%-20% depending on the service.

Normally you sit, someone brings you drinks and may clear your plates. If the server keeps my drink FULL and the plates cleared AND checks back occasionally to see if I need anything special...they'll get a really good tip.

HOWEVER...very very rarely do I get "primo" service. If I have to REQUEST my drink refill, If I have to put my empty plates on a passing bus cart because the table is getting too crowded. If I have to flag someone down to help find a fresh napkin or the "check", if I have to wait more than 15-30 minutes for them to come back with the bill or my credit card without an apology...their tip will be diminished.

I was in Vegas at a Seafood resturant one time and now I measure all service by this one waiter I had. I've never seen any buffet service waiter move so fast and efficiently before in my life. My drink was NEVER empty...we never saw him clear the plates, it was seafood so he was PROMPT at emptying our shell basket, he read our minds and brought extra napkins and finger wipes. Now THAT's what I'm talking about!!!

bob6572
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
I guess there are a lot of opinions. Thanks for all the insight!!

brownie
02-17-2009, 09:13 PM
1) Buffet tips norm are 5%-10% in the USA, or less.
2) They servers just do not do enough work for 15%-20%.
. . . they do not take orders
. . . they do not verify the order from the kitchen
. . . they do not tailor a meal or side dishes like a server
3) In fact, servers do about the same labor as a bus-person.
. . . fill beverages
. . . clear plates
. . . reset tables

NOTE: We usually leave $2-$3 per person at a buffet. Bus-people just are not worth that much more. In fact, if one of my people come off the road with receipts for more than 10% tips at buffets, the expense reimbursement is refused as excessive.

10% is about as high as I go for a buffet meal. The level of service isn't the same for as for a table service meal.

jszczur5
02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I usually go down to 10%, unless the service was extraordinary. My husband is always complaining that I am a lousy tipper, but we had such terrible service at Boma last year that he told me he didn't care if I left any tip at all.
I did grudgingly leave $10 (on a bill for 4 adults) - which I thought was insanely generous considering our server brought us drinks at the beginning of the meal, and then re-fills with our bill. Considering how spicy some of the food at Boma can be, we really needed drinks much earlier than that. The table was not cleared until the bill was presented. I'm really hoping that this horrible service was just a one time event, as we plan on giving Boma another try this summer.
And yes, I know that we could have complained, but I would never want to be the cause of someone losing their job, if they were just having an off-day. If we had been a larger party where the tip had been automatically added, I would have protested. Personally I don't think a $10 tip was enough of a protest. I could have easily left 2 or 3 singles with a completely clear conscience.

dumbo_buddy
02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
i don't even really think about it. i just give the 18-20% as usual. everyone's working hard. why be so cheap for a couple bucks?

deedeenmickey
02-25-2009, 09:52 PM
I usually tip 15% at table service and 10% buffet the only way I waiver is if the waiter is exceptional or sorry.

I don't know if I missed something or what but about 15 years ago the norm was 15% and now the norm for every resturant is 18%. I realize inflation but as the prices of the food go up the tips go up. I think if they are going to add the tip they should add 15% and if the waiter was exceptional you can leave more. I'm not trying to get upset over a few bucks.

If the service was bad I tell the waiter by leaving a small tip. If I have to tell the manager I risk ruining the whole experience if I don't get what I think is the proper response.

Goes4FastPass
02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
This topic comes up periodically.

The last buffet we ate at at WDW was Tusker House at AK. The servers around us were runnign their legs off taking care of their customers.

I felt our server easily earned 18% -20%.

Hull-onian
02-26-2009, 03:17 PM
We tip 20% all the time. If the service is even better, 25% tip. Why don't we ask a waitstaff person what they expect? I don't know how tips are factored into their pay anyways. We pay the bill by credited card, and on the tip line we write in ink: Paid Cash. I don't think the waitstaff anywhere gets a decent hourly wage. Let alone benefits. That's the way it is.

wildernesslady
02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
We are going next week to Crystal Palace as a party of 6. The service there has never been fabulous just OK. I am a very generous tipper when I eat out, but I do have a problem with pre-determined amount being added to the bill. We are on the DDP and are leaving cash for tips. Any suggestions. I have no problem with the tip if the service warrants it.

disneymama09
02-28-2009, 05:11 PM
In this economy I bet the staff is hurting big time with the tips. It seems like an easy way to save money by stiffing the waiter. For buffets i usually tip 10% max. :mickey:

Babyvett
03-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Yall are alot nicer about tipping when it comes to lousy service then I am. Usually, I leave a couple of dollars (for buffet service) per person.. TS I leave alot more (last night at Applebees I left a 18 dollar tip for two adults).

I almost always leave some sort of a tip. However, if the service is absolutely horrible, and I mean absolutely horrible, I don't leave anything. This has only happened in one situation that I know of. Here in town where I live, DH and I went out to eat and the waitress was so busy flirting with him that she refused to take my order. I was completely invisible to her. Hubby finally had to ASK her to please take my order. She brought him numerous refills thru the meal however I had an empty glass for most of the dinner. I had to resort to drinking from his glass since she brought him about 4 glasses. OOOH, i left her a tip alright, 1 penny.

Needless to say, for me not to leave a tip, service has got to be absolutely horrible, to the point of insulting.

Seasonscraps
03-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I almost always leave some sort of a tip. However, if the service is absolutely horrible, and I mean absolutely horrible, I don't leave anything. This has only happened in one situation that I know of. Here in town where I live, DH and I went out to eat and the waitress was so busy flirting with him that she refused to take my order. I was completely invisible to her. Hubby finally had to ASK her to please take my order. She brought him numerous refills thru the meal however I had an empty glass for most of the dinner. I had to resort to drinking from his glass since she brought him about 4 glasses. OOOH, i left her a tip alright, 1 penny.

Needless to say, for me not to leave a tip, service has got to be absolutely horrible, to the point of insulting.

That's just awful! I would have talked to the manager about getting another waitress or more likely I would have left the restauant after she walked away without taking my order. :mad: