PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mt. - Motion sickness?

TheVBs
02-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Sorry, another motion sickness question. My oldest daughter (DD8 here?) is just starting to get interested in the roller coasters. She wants to do this one, but it's another one I've read warnings of motion sickness on. Has anyone had trouble on this ride. Any input appreciated! Thanks!!:mickey:

ibrowse17
02-14-2009, 10:24 AM
This would be a good one to start with. We took our 8 year old nephew to Disney last summer, and this was his first rollercoater. He had no problem, and loved it! We had to ride it serveral times, as with every other thrill ride at Disney:thumbsup:

TheVBs
02-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the response! I'm a little worried about how she'll do on a rollercoaster. She also has some anxiety (the result of being very ill for a few years), so it's hard to predict how she'll react to things. She did do KRR last time and I was worried about that (probably because it's been so long since I'd been on it, I couldn't remember if it was wild, tame or somewhere in between), and she loved it. She also really wants to ride Splash Mtn.!

Mousemates
02-14-2009, 10:29 AM
This is as tame as it gets in terms of drops and turns on a theme park roller coaster (thou not as tame as it gets in terms of rattling about...its a fairly jarring ride)...so in terms of motion sickness, unless she is extreeeeemely sensitive in this regard, I'd say she could handle it with ease.

TheVBs
02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks! :D

Jeff
02-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Motions sickness gets me bad.
This ride is ok for me UNTIL the final circle/curve thing right at the end. This will make me a bit queasy but not bad compared to other rides. Space Mt. kills me(too many tight turns), Everest - yikes! Instant :sick:. Rock n Roller and Tower of Terror - no way to either. I have tried all of the above and in fact done a few more than once just to ride with my daughter. I know rides effect those of us with Motion sickness differently but that's how the above get me

I always take a Ginger capsule or two everyday while at WDW. If I know I'm going to ride a bad one with my daughter I'll take a Dramamine as well.

Good luck.

TheVBs
02-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the info and suggestions! It can be hard to predict when she'll get sick, same with our youngest. We have those wristbands. Sometimes they help, sometimes not. Neither of them have ever gotten sick on a ride (knock wood!), it's usually in the car. We've been on the Tea Cups, and Barnstormer with no problems. Of course, we didn't get the cup spinning very much!

Altair
02-14-2009, 11:32 AM
One trick to roller coasters is to lean into the curves. If the train goes right, lean to the right and focus on the track ahead. Everest is a problem because you go backwards.:sick:

Goofeygal
02-14-2009, 11:45 AM
It is a great one to start out on for new coaster riders.

TheVBs
02-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the tips Altair! If she goes for it I'll explain what to do on the turns.

So BTM would be a better first rollercoaster than SM?

Simba's Mom
02-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry, another motion sickness question. My oldest daughter (DD8 here?) is just starting to get interested in the roller coasters. She wants to do this one, but it's another one I've read warnings of motion sickness on. Has anyone had trouble on this ride. Any input appreciated! Thanks!!:mickey:

I found this one easier to handle than Goofy's Barnstormer. Thank goodness that one was so short!

Briansmom
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
We were worried about our DS10 (he is special needs with autism) last year as it was his first time and he can't tell us if he is feeling sick....we started out on Barnstormer, which he loved but was too short (said 'MORE!' when the ride stopped)!! Then we graduated to BTMRR and he absolutely loved it!! We went on it several times in a row. I am a motion sickness sufferer as well but I love BTMRR and Space Mtn. I have a problem with heights, so Spl Mtn is a bit of a stretch for me. I couldnt bring myself to take DS on it and still am nervous for the next trip. My DD21 talked us into taking DS on RocRC and he was hooked (me, too!). When we came to a stop, he 'said' "3, 2, 1, GO!" It was priceless!

You know your child best and know which limits to push a little to go to the next level. I think she will probably be fine though.

Oh, and I always take Dramamine every day, just in case! :mickey:

SBETigg
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the tips Altair! If she goes for it I'll explain what to do on the turns.

Oh yes, I would start with BTM over Space Mountain. Splash Mountain might be okay, too.

brewcrew26
02-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I get motion sickness really bad. I've recently found it's the cause of my migraines so I have to be really careful. Like someone else posted I take a ginger capsule or two at least two hours before I know I'm going to ride something like BTMRR or Space Mtn. I haven't had issues with Splash Mtn. except for anxiety with the drop.

I wouldn't try something like Star Tours or the virtual Space Mountain at Disney Quest. I can't make it through motion simulators anymore without getting an awful headache and other symptoms.

I was fine when I did EE and took two ginger pills and a dramamine. But, I think riding in the front row helped immensely there since I could expect what was coming.

I know it's silly but I still get a little quesy on the Barnstormer if I'm not prepared. :secret:

Genie1953
02-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I typically do not do well on ANY roller coaster but I absolutely LOVE this one!

:thumbsup: :mickey: :thumbsup:

PETE FROM NYC
02-14-2009, 04:22 PM
I am not a coaster lover.
My first trip to WDW in 1975, I rode Space Mountain,my one and only time.Later trip,I rode Splash Mountain,beautiful inside,but I just cannot handle the final drop.Afraid to try Rock n roller coatser,likewise Tower of terror.
Now,for the good news.I love Thunder Mountain and usually do it a few times each trip.I don't know why but its the only coaster type ride that I always go back to.

Speedy1998
02-14-2009, 05:36 PM

If you are worried about motion sickness on BTM don't go near Space Mountain. Most of Space Mountain takes place in the dark. The main cause of motion sickness is your brain getting conflicting messages from your inner ear and your eyes. So if you can not see anything you are much more likely to get sick.

TheVBs
02-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Never knew about ginger pills. I will take any tip I can! We have given her dramamine, but it doesn't seem to work for her. I wouldn't let her ride Space Mtn. yet. I think it would be too scary for her. BTM or Splash Mtn. would be all I'd let her try this time.

I get a little motion sick myself. It's been awhile since I've been on Space Mtn. or BTM but I don't remember having a problem on either. I've also ridden ToT and RRC once each. I didn't get motion sickness on either of those, but I was sure I was going to die before the rides were over. To add insult to injury, I survived those two, foolishly got on Star Wars and got :sick:. :(

mom2morgan
02-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I was troubled by motion sickness several days of our last trip, but big thunder was okay. Actually NONE of the roller coasters game me motion sickness ... it was all the motion simulators and a few round-and-round (seriously, don't the tea cups make EVERYONE over the age of about 12 sick?) ;-)

garymacd
02-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Here's how we dealt with the motion sickness. Actually, a couple of ways.

First: our oldest daughter suffers terribly from motion sickness. She wanted to ride BTM because we were down at WDW with friends from England and she didn't want to be left out, but was afraid of the motion.

As we were in line, I told her the "secret". Breathe hard from the diaphragm, tighten your abs and scream as loud as you can every time you go down or around the bends. She never had a problem and now loves the ride and can't wait until May to go again.

The second way of dealing with it (especially important for the three-day car ride to Florida) was hypnosis. The Hypnotherapist gave her a suggestion and trained her to put herself in a state where she can self-suggest just about anything to overcome - anything. She only needed a couple of sessions and they were fairly inexpensive.

I know. It sounds really out there and new age, but I can't argue with the results.

WDW_Obsessed
02-15-2009, 10:28 AM
I think BTMRR would be a great roller coaster to start with. My mom gets terrible motion sickness, and she can't get enough of BTMRR. She wears the Sea Bands that supposedly help with motion sickness, and takes a couple of ginger tabs, and she's able to handle BTMRR and Space Mountain.

TheVBs
02-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Garymacd, I will definitely share that secret with DD! :mickey: It makes total sense. I think when you hold your breath, you're more likely to get sick. And, after all we've been through, I would never turn my nose up at any suggestion from a parent who's found something that works for their child. We've only recently had someone suggest hypnotherapy to help with her anxiety, but I would have never thought of it for the motion sickness. Definitely something to look into!

WDWObsessed, we use the sea bands too (discoverd them the hard way on a whale watching trip in Maine :blush:). They don't always work for her, but they're the most consistantly successful thing we've found. And thanks for another recommendation on the ginger pills! I will have to look around for some. Any specific brand, mg. I should be looking for? DD (or Thing 1 as we like to call her) is 8 going on 9.

AmandaChan
02-15-2009, 04:17 PM
I am notorious for motion sickness in the car and, especially, on things like a Ferris wheel :ack:... HOWEVER the big thunder mt RR does not bother me and has never bothered me.. I think it moves to fast to let me get sick. Slow moving things make me nauseated. big time.

LudwigVonDrake
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I have no problem with motion sickness. Big Thunder is a great "starter" coaster for people who aren't sure about roller coasters. If you can do BTMRR, you can do most any other Disney coaster.

garymacd
02-17-2009, 05:32 PM
We've only recently had someone suggest hypnotherapy to help with her anxiety, but I would have never thought of it for the motion sickness. Definitely something to look into!

I never would have thought about it either, but my beloved wife was there for a session of her own and one for our daughter to help her with concentration and studying. While she was under, my wife mentioned about the motion sickness and the therapist said, "Why didn't you say so earlier?" Gave her the suggestion and instructions on how to self hypnotise and auto suggest, and everything went smoothly.

pink
02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
I have very bad problems with motion sickness. For example, I'm in the car for 5 minutes and already feel ill.

However, I've never had problems with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The ride is a little jerky and it does tend to move you around in the car but I've never felt ill from riding it.:mickey:

jrkcr
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
I also get motion sickness. Which is why I ALWAYS drive the car! (not because I am a control freak, like SOME people say) And DD9 feels queasy on some rides too.

I ride space mtn once per trip, same for RnR and EE.(and california screamin at DL)
ToT and Mission Space, and the teacups- I have done once in my life and will never do again. I had to go lay down at the hotel after mission space...:sick: But it is nice to say I survived them! (barely)

But Splash, and Barnstormer, and BTMRR, I can ride every day!! WHich is a good thing, cause those are DD9 favorite rides!

Taking deep breaths really helps me when I feel icky. And knowing exactly how long the ride lasts.(doesn't work on ToT!)

disguy
02-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Motions sickness gets me bad.
This ride is ok for me UNTIL the final circle/curve thing right at the end. This will make me a bit queasy but not bad compared to other rides.

The same for me - It's fairly mild, I'm sensitive to spinning, so the circle at the end is what gets me but even so - I can shake it off in a few seconds.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I also recommend that you ride it during the day. It doesn't seem to be as bad if you can see what is coming up and see around you. It's cool at night but for the first try go with daylight.

Good Luck!:)

Simba's Mom
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I also recommend that you ride it during the day. It doesn't seem to be as bad if you can see what is coming up and see around you. It's cool at night but for the first try go with daylight.

Good Luck!:)

Duh, I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. The one time I felt queasy after riding BTMRR was when I rode it at night. Thanks for pointing that out.

ojeilatan
02-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I think this would be a great roller coaster for anyone having issues with motion sickness. My dad, who has to wear special patches on airplanes that completely put him to sleep due to his severe motion illness problems had no problems on BTMR or even R&R. He also has neck problems, and neither bothered him. The only one, strangely, that occasionally does is Space Mtn. He says he just makes him feel dizzy, which I think must be due to the 'free floating' illusion the ride creates.

TheVBs
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I really appreciate how many of you have given me feedback on this! It's so reassuring to know that others with motion sickness don't experience it on this ride.

Garymacd - Our daughter has problems with concentration too. I will definitely look into hypnotherapy!

MistressGracey999
02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi VB.

I think your DD will be fine on BTMRR. I found that it not only did not activate my motion sickness, but because the ride is mostly in a "gulley" with visible ground on either side, it did not avtivate my fear of heights, either. :thumbsup:

Tink#64
02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I found this one easier to handle than Goofy's Barnstormer. Thank goodness that one was so short!

Wow, I completely agree & I thought I just weird! Both of my DS's have trouble with motion sickness, particularly the oldest (13). But my guys have been riding this since they were 5 & 6 & we've never had any trouble with motion sickness from any ride at WDW, even the tea cups, but they don't get them spinning much! That's what gets me, the constant circles! I can't handle SpM, the strobe light effect messes with me! But we avoid MS because I've heard too many negatives about those bothered by motion sickness! I always carry Bonine in my pack, less drowsy than the original Dramamine, just in case anyone should begin to have the yucky tummy! Good Luck! :thumbsup:

iluvdumbo
02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
i have okay motion sickness. i take something for it but im not sure what it is (maybe dramamine??) my mom has horrible motion sickness and she does fine on all of the mountain rides and TofT (haha i did badly on TofT when i was 11 and willing to try it again 4 years later!) my mom just doesnt like riding Splash because she hates getting wet with her clothes on and she cant ride Space more than 2 times in a row or she will get sick. She also cant ride tea cups or astro orbiter at all!! im fine with all of those :mickey:. she got that from my grandma