PDA

View Full Version : Best first ride for a five year olds first trip to Disney

spoiledraf
02-14-2009, 07:23 AM
DW and I are taking our kids and Grandkids in June. My son hasn't been since '95 and his wife since the 80s and his kids, 5, 2 1/2, have never been to the world. My daughter and her hubby went a couple years ago with us and they have a 11/2 year old now.

The big question, what to do first with our 5 year old grand daughter on her first visit to the Magic Kingdom! We've watched the planning vidio over and over and she wants to do everything. I am more excited about watching her than about going to Disney myself.

Strmchsr
02-14-2009, 07:39 AM
If you're at the Magic Kingdom first, just take her to Fantasyland and let her pick. She'll love it all.

MicMouse
02-14-2009, 08:30 AM
The monorail! :mickey: That's the best first ride.

CzepielCrew
02-14-2009, 08:50 AM
My sons were 6 when we first went in 2007. Most of their favorite rides were in Fantasyland. They liked Small World, Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan. They also liked the Buzz Lightyear ride.

conwayjohn71
02-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Take the ferry across the lake, get there for rop drop and ride Dumbo

Pete Olsen
02-14-2009, 09:57 AM
For the first trip, first ride for a five year old - it has to be a classic. We suggest It's A Small World.

ThanxForNoticin
02-14-2009, 10:04 AM
If you're at the Magic Kingdom first, just take her to Fantasyland and let her pick. She'll love it all.

I agree 1000%. Let her take it the magic of Main Street and see what she loves in Fantasyland. Most of the rides in that area would be a terrific first experience for her - Dumbo, Peter Pan, Small World, Pooh, the Carousel.... The only recommendation I would have (from personal experience), is don't do Snow White first. Some kids like it and some kids just hate it - let her enjoy something less scary first and then see later if she'd like to do Snow White. Have a great time.

spoiledraf
02-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Take the ferry across the lake, get there for rop drop and ride Dumbo

Funny, last night when we were watching the DVD (again) thats exactly what I said we would do. But her dad, not a big Disney fan, said no way he was getting up early enough to get himself and 2 kids ready in time to get to the rope drop. I'd take her myself but I can't deny her mom and dad the joy of seeing her first visit.

(But that second visit may be all mine!):D

Wishmaker
02-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Get there early, watch the opening show. Head to Fantasy Land and ride Peter Pan's Flight.

Altair
02-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Get there early, watch the opening show. Head to Fantasy Land and ride Peter Pan's Flight.

Or Dumbo, these are the two where the lines build up the fastest on.:mickey: I'd go with Peter Pan.;)

beksy
02-15-2009, 12:48 AM
I would go with Fantasyland and probably Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight, and IASW depending on lines. Those were my favorites at that age. I agree with a PP that Snow White should not be first. It can be scary for little ones (and not-so-little ones, my 20 year old sister refused to ride it our last trip!).

playdead88
02-15-2009, 07:47 AM
i vote dumbo! she'll be able to see all of fantasyland - have a wonderful vacation :mickey:

emmatink
02-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Fantasyland...Fantasyland...Fantasyland....the lines get full really quick! Fastpass is a must at Peter Pan.:thumbsup:

Darbylew
02-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Fantasyland, toon town and tomorrow land for
buzz lightyear. There is so much to see and do
that everything will be so magical for the
grandchildren. There is nothing like seeing their
faces and eyes light up. Have a wonderful time.
:mickey:

crazygoalie39
02-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Go to Fantasyland and have a ball! It's unfortunate that you won't be able to be there for rope drop because the lines are just going to keep getting longer and longer in Fantasyland. My suggestion would be Peter Pan (not a big Dumbo fan), but I would let them know about all the rides and see what they want to do first.

P.S. Make sure you do Philharmagic! :mickey:

yjgirl32
02-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Tell her dad to deal with it - you only get one chance to see your child on her very first trip. I agree to let her pick or make an early reservation for CRT and let her visit a princess.

TinkerMel
02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I totally agree that she will LOVE Fantasyland, but she will also probably surprise you by what she decides is her favorite. When we celebrated my DD's 5th birthday, she wanted to ride Carousel of Progress over and over.

javamama
02-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I have a 5 year old boy, so he loves trains so he's all over the train at MK, and monorail, BTM, and SM. He does love everything in Fantasyland too though, my dd is 2 1/2, she loves everything there too. She'll be happy with everything, and anything you do---don't worry!

murphy1
02-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Dumbo, then Peter Pan/Small World.

jarajam
02-21-2009, 01:02 PM
When we went last year we first went to Splash Mountian.My then 4 yr old loved and I mean LOVED it, and bc the crowds were pretty low we rode it 6 times straight.To this day she still raves about it and its all shes been talking about for our returm trip in April. The first time we went down the big drop at the end she was a little apprehensive but she quickly got over it!

elmjimmlm
02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I think that Peter Pan would be a great first ride...That way you will know if heights will be a problem for them...Also it is a great ride that we try to do at least 2 or 3 times a trip...

LoriMistress
02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Either Dumbo or PPF.

DisneyPrincess21
02-21-2009, 07:34 PM
The big question, what to do first with our 5 year old grand daughter on her first visit to the Magic Kingdom! We've watched the planning vidio over and over and she wants to do everything. I am more excited about watching her than about going to Disney myself.

I would suggest doing something classic like "Dumbo", Plus you can take a walk through the castle on the way. Or if she is more of a Winnie the pooh fan, Then I would suggest "Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh". But May I also suggest taking her to "Mickey's Toontown Fair" first. They have Mickey And Minnie's house set up and you get to take a tour of the inside. I still remember doing this as a child (6yr old). Because you are positive it is really their house and they might show up at any minute.
Bottom line whatever you decide to do first, it is going to be so magical for all of you, And she will be mesmerized by everything you do there.

Hope you all have a great time, Sending a little pixie dust your way :tink: :wave:

Septbride2002
02-21-2009, 08:13 PM
I would tell them to get up early and get to the Magic Kingdom at opening! Either Dumbo or the Carousel would be great first choices. In fact - while she rides the Carousel someone could grab a spot in line for Dumbo for her so she doesn't have to wait in a 2nd line.

Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, and It's a Small World After All.

~Amanda

ASweetLov
02-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Dumbo!

Mousemates
02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
But her dad, not a big Disney fan, said no way he was getting up early enough to get himself and 2 kids ready in time to get to the rope drop. I'd take her myself but I can't deny her mom and dad the joy of seeing her first visit.

well, my first move might be to gently explain to Dad that by not getting there for the rope drop you will wind up spending more (not less time) in the park and wind up much more tired by the time you leave...for the time you spend in line at fantasy land later in the day will be when the sun is hottest and hardest on a five year old...there is a big difference in waiting fifteen minutes for Dumbo or PAn when its 75 degrees at 9Am and waiting 45 minutes when its 90 degrees at 1PM.....the extra two hours of sleep gained by getting there late might come at the high price of a hot and unhappy camper at WDW. Hopes he is flexible and willing to budge...but either way my first ride for a five year old would be Dumbo if you get there early....if not, I'd ride what ever has the shortest wait in fantasyland in order to get the day off to a good start.

Mousefan29
02-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I agree with the other posters... Monorail from TTA and then right to Dumbo! We've visited for 10 years and I've waited in line with each child we've taken so they can ride Dumbo. There's something about it that is so quintessential Disney!

Giggy
02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Meeting Mickey is always a good way to start, first thing we did, even on our last visit in 2004 (when I was 14 :blush: ) was the Walt Disney World Railroad to Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Also puts you in the right land for Goofy's Barnstormer, a good starter roller coaster for the little ones as they are tall enough to ride it. Also a good way to test the water as to how they will be with other high/fast rides.

AXOAlum
02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
But her dad, not a big Disney fan, said no way he was getting up early enough to get himself and 2 kids ready in time to get to the rope drop.

Sounds like he needs some :pixie: and to be reminded this trip isn't all about him! There will be plenty of time for sleeping! I concur 100% - Dumbo - it is a classic, and if you sit in an elephant right in front of her, you can look back and take some very magical photos! Good luck & have fun :mickey:

Mom2princesses
02-22-2009, 07:50 PM
You have to do Dumbo first! The lines for this ride build up fast and it a very slow moving line. The only time it was short was right when the park opens. Peter Pan has FastPass but Dumbo doesn't.

My older daughter's favorite ride when she was 5 years old (went for her birthday) Rockin Roller Coaster! Yep I have a thrill rider and to this day she still loves big, fast and thrilling roller coasters! She also loved Dumbo, IASW, Peter Pan as well.

dream6
02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Dumbo immediately popped into my head when I read the subject line. It's just such a classic Disney ride. Enjoy your time!!

Disnutty
02-23-2009, 08:45 AM
The very first time to Magic Kingdom you just have to get there for rope drop. A lot of Disney characters will be signing autographs before the opening so the kids will have a blast waiting for the opening. Seeing their happy faces is worth the hassle of getting up early to be there for the opening. Dad just has to just get over it and get up for one day to get to the opening of the park. You will be able to get on to either Dumbo or Peter Pan (Dumbo is my vote) without much of a wait. Later in the day you will be standing in line for 30 to 45 minutes just because you could not get up for rope drop. Get dad up or leave him behind and have him meet you at noon. Don't pass up the opertunity of getting there early on you first vist to MK.

#1donaldfan
02-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I suggest the first ride a 5 year old should ride is dumbo, or its a small world, or the peter pan ride.

LandFan
02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Peter Pan! Then Pooh, Dumbo, Carousel, etc.

PlutoPlanet
02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Start with Dumbo.
Find her favorite princess.
Avoid Snow White's scary Adventure.
Perhaps pass on HM.
Do Tom Sawyer's island in the afternoon.
Dole Whip to cool off.
- all from my DD12, 8 times at the World.

tjstrike
02-26-2009, 02:25 AM
Get a fastpass for peter pan then ride the dumbos.

LarryBoy
02-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Does your Grand-daughter have a favorite movie of character with a ride tie in? If so do this first. If not everybody else has great suggestions.
Strangely enough for our DS's first trip at 3.5 we went to DS first so we could eat at Pizza Planet. Afterward we went to the Plahouse Disney show and it didn't go well. (Don't worry about this show, he's autistic and was overwhelmed.) So we were really worried that he was going to have a miserable time. We decided to take the boat over to Epcot and the first thing we did was Imagination. He absolutely loved it and wanted to ride any ride he could get on after that. So long story short, his first ride was Journey Into Imagination with Figment. I only wish he could have ridden the original ride. :(

Goes4FastPass
02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Dumbo. D. U. M. B. O. Dumbo.
Duh duh duh dum dah Dum bo.
(Dumbo)
:dumbo:

biodtl
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Anything in Fantasyland, but Dumbo would be great because they would get a great view of the magic.

wdwfansince75
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
So I asked this question of The Devine Miss Em, (DGD #3....last year, at age 7, she made her 6th trip to WDW)....She said "Get a fast pass for Splash Mtn, and go to the Pirates, like we always do!"....
Actually, having done DL with DS #1 at age 5, DD #1 at age 3, WDW with DD#2 at age 5, DS #2 at 4, and DGK's at 3, 4, 5, and 7, we have done almost all of the above suggestions.... (the other 3 DGK's made their first trips as infants).....You might also consider TTA (WEDWay People Mover)....gentle ride, out side most of the time....but eases into the whole ride thing......

DakandZakMom
02-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I would do either Small World or Winnie the Pooh. :pooh:

Either one she is sure to love.