PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dye allergy.

Gooftroop5
02-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Is there a way to get ingredient lists on stuff from the counter services. I find information on gluten free foods & you can get ingredients list but do they tell you all the ingredients or just what doesn't have gluten in it.

My youngest ds is allergic to blue dye and a very very very picky eater. We stay away from the obvious stuff anything blue or green. It is in a lot of stuff colored red, carmel colored items & chocolate too. Ex: he can't have the chocolate dipped mickey rice krispy treats. The chocolate has blue dye in it.

Most of the snack stuff have ingredients lists on the packages. If we don't really know we don't risk it & get him something we know doesn't have it in it. There are a lot of stuff snack stuff he will eat. Its regular meals. There is just so much pizza one person can eat.

He got really sick one night our past trip. We know it was his dye allergy & not just an stomach bug because of the reaction he had. We think we might know what caused it but it is one of the few foods he will eat.

MomTo3Tiggers
02-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Every counter service restaurant should have an ingredient list that they can show you if you ask. The only time we ran into a place (Blizzard Beach) that had a problem with their list, they called up to the central food prep area to ask the question.

Gooftroop5
02-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for your help.

Dznygrl79
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Every place in Disney (just about) has an ingrediants list, I totally understand your frustration! I developed a red dye allergy later in life (27!). I took a med that I thought was the allergy took dome benadryl to get rid of it and I blew up twice as big ended up in the er only to find out I had developed a red dye allergy! I grew up on Kool Aid I don't unederstand ho wit happened but it did. I also didn't realize how much food has it! I have to ask everytime I'm out just about for the list. Last time I was in "the world" I also stopped at Guest Assistance and they told me unless it was an ice cream cart (which the products all have lists on) I shouldn't have a problem. I did at Wolfgang Pucks in DTD but that was it, I told my waiter or waitress I had an allergy and they usually told me hold on and got the chef or if it was a fixed menu a list.

Wtach the pudding at disney they tend to top it with colored sugar sprinkles or gummy worms :fit:

Oh I miss it! Oh well I know from experiance that eating off the kids menu at disney is easier as far as allergies and the budget so you should be okay!

Also if you can make a stop at Target or Publix on the way in both have a great produce selection which is always dye safe.
And I have never been given flack for bringing anything into the parks.

Gooftroop5
03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Thank you for your information. We stay away from pudding & a lot of chocolate with him anyways because they use blue dye a lot to make it look darker. I just found out by fluke that marshmallows have blue dye. :confused: They are white. I have to buy premade krispy treats or make them with fluff for him to be able to have him. No more smore's for him. He just discovered that this morning. :(

I understand developing allergies later in life. I always have had allergies and as I get older they get worse and collect new ones. Loved bananas. Developed latex allergy no more bananas. We won't even go into what happens after I eat cherries.

I had the problem with benadryl because I am allergic to one of the fillers. Its only in the capsules & not in the tablet. Of course dh picked up the capsules. Couldn't figure out why I was getting worse. Sure enough read the ingredients.

Been a label reader all my life DH is impressed on how fast I can read a label & tell him if it is safe for me or ds#2. it takes him forever & he still misses it half the time.

Good luck with your allergy luckily they are coming out with a lot more dye free stuff including kool aid. ;)