PDA

View Full Version : Movie Rental Downloads?

Jeff G
02-12-2009, 11:31 PM
With my busy schedule I have a hard time running to the video store and returning videos on time. The other day I noticed that Amazon has a video on demand option and after searching it looks like Blockbuster also has a video on demand box.

It looks like the videos are cheaper at Blockbuster but the initial $99 cost is a lot if it doesn't work well. I was going to look into a cable to run from my computer to my TV to play from Amazon.

Has anyone had experience with either of these of any other suggestions? How is the quality?

WRWDisney
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Another thought is to look at Netflix. With Netflix, there is no due date on the DVD's you rent and you get free access to their on-demand service. You can access their on-demand with a $99 Roku box, through your X-Box 360 or through your Tivo series 3 and a couple of blue-Ray players.

My sister got the Roku box and loves it. She said set-up was ridiculously easy. Apparently you will also be able to get the Amazon on-demand movies and tv shows with it also.

Just another option. If you have an x-box or Tivo series 3, it is a quick and cheap way to try it out.

One last thing I do once in a while is run and s-video cable out of my laptop and into the tv and just use the hulu site (NBC/Universal TV shows). The quality was as good on my 55" as on my laptop (that being said, not great but ok for once in a blue moon)

Best of luck:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm a huge tech geek, but I'm not so happy with the current offerings. I used to have Tivo and still miss the ease of use, but the output quality was poor. The new Series 3s I'm not familiar with as the prices were just way out of touch with reality.

I've tried some streaming from my computer to a TV and while it worked, it was not user friendly. I've tried the MythTV route and GB-PVR, but both of those are not geared towards the consumer.

That''s the problem... Finding a good mix of quality, flexibility, ease of use, and cost is difficult.

The problem I see with these streaming technologies is that you are going to be using your Internet connection, and many ISP are moving to a pay to play billing model. If you download a bunch, you may end up with a bill that will make your jaw drop.