PDA

View Full Version : Question about COP ending scene??

threeh
02-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Forgive me, this last trip was the first time I ever saw the carosel of progress and it was great. My question is, the last scene, was it ever "the future that never was" like scene or has it always been the family making Christmas dinner in the future?? Or has it changed with the decades over the years??
Thanks!! On an aside this trip was also the first time we went thru Walt Disney one man's dream in HS and it was also very good!!

Celestria
02-12-2009, 10:44 PM
i think it was an idea of the future that just needs to be updated. that ending is fairly old. at least (remember i said at least because i can't remember further back) 4-5 years old. probably older.

joonyer
02-12-2009, 10:45 PM
It's the "future" as it was envisioned in the '80s. It didn't exactly pan out that way, did it? But the future always has a way of turning out different than we expect, no matter what we expect it will be like.

I remember the future of the '70's. By the year 2000, we were all supposed to be communicating on wristwatch videophones and driving hover cars. And space travel for the ordinary citizen, with a colony on the moon. On the other hand, hardly anyone back then envisioned this thing we are using to communicate with right now.

Celestria
02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
80's huh? didn't realize it was that old of an ending. of course i did say i couldn't remember far back.

DizneyRox
02-13-2009, 07:08 AM
The last update was 93-94 and was pretty much the final scene to update to the "House of 2000"

Since then, nothing...

wdwfansince75
02-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Actually, there were at least two earlier versions of the last scene,,,,Both were New Years Eve events, rather than the current Christmas dinner.. Kitchen also changed...originally, it was more contemporary (70's style)...advertising the sponsor, GE.....Then, when GE sponsorship shifted to Horizons, CoP scene was more modern, but the scene was still scripted for New Years Eve.... The scene was redone sometime between our 85 trip and our 96 trip.....don't know exact date of the new scene....which remains almost unchanged since at least 96.

The CoP was one of two attractions in Tomorrowland that were "free" back when tickets were used for the rides....the other was "If You Had Wings"....

Imagineer1981
02-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Ya "laser discs" kinda dates it

pixiesmimi
02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I think it has been a little more updated recently because the Mom is on a laptop and they are playing virtual games. Those only came along in the last few years. The scene has been the same for a while with some updates to it. I thought it was a little ironic that the Mom was at the laptop but her clothes were more 80's or 90's when we didn't have laptops.

PETE FROM NYC
02-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I really don't have anything to add to this post. Just that I have always enjoyed this attraction. Maybe its because I saw the original version at the NY World's Fair in 1964-1965.

threeh
02-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the info!! I really enjoyed COP as well, was just wondering about that last scene. Thanks all :mickey: