PDA

View Full Version : World Showcase Dinner with Food Allergies

MomTo3Tiggers
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
In the past we've gone to the Garden Grill for dinner when at Epcot for several reasons (characters, menu, working with two of my kids' food allergies, my gluten intolerance). This year I'd like to spend more time in World Showcase since the kids are older, and that means picking a restaurant to eat back there.

The ones my kids would most like - China and Japan - are out because we're dealing with a peanut and sesame allergy and have been advised to avoid those. I'm thinking about Norway, Canada or England. My kids are also allergic to dairy, but it looks a little more workable at those restaurants.

Anyone have any experiences with getting special meals at World Showcase Restaurants that they could share?

krose78
02-12-2009, 03:47 PM
The only one I can comment on in Le Cellier and a milk allergy. Well my son doesn't have a allergy but the week we were there he had a severe sensativity to milk (seems to happen when he has a stomach bug) but we told the waitess and she made sure thaat his dessert and everything was lactose free. I would mention it when makeing ADRs and/or to the waitress when you sit down.

artyboy
02-12-2009, 03:55 PM
One of our best friends has horrible food allergies, and when we took her to Disney we told her to inform the server of anything that may be a problem.

On most occasions the chef (or one of the kitchen staff) would come to the table and discuss her allergies, and she never had a single problem during the entire 10 day visit. I don't believe that there is a better place to vacation/dine than Disney for this reason.

So relax...just tell the server what you can and can't eat. They are very accommodating!

vicster
02-12-2009, 04:28 PM
My husband has a dairy allergy and we have pretty good luck with the buffet in Germany. As I recall there wasn't much he could eat at Rose and Crown. In any event the chef will tell you what not to eat on a menu if it pertains to your allergies.

MomTo3Tiggers
02-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I've done the whole routine of advance notification (they had a form you filled out in advance last time), notifying the server and talking to the chef. I still found that some restaurants worked better with what we needed than others.

For instance, buffets were usually great. The chef at Hollywood and Vine volunteered a breakfast item for us at dinner and made the kids a special fruit salad to eat while they waited for him to specially prepare them some plain chicken and fries. The "menu" restaurants had less flexibility and couldn't roll with things as well. My kids were good natured about the food the chef could make at Prime Time cafe, but they sure didn't like it - and I couldn't blame them.

Some of this may depend on the chef in charge, and chefs change so the experience may vary from person to person or allergy to allergy. I'm still curious though. For instance, I thought Rose & Crown looked promising, but I'll rethink that now.