PDA

View Full Version : Not a good week coming for me.

caryrae
02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Started off on Christmas evening last year, I was having abdominal pain since I got up Xmas morning and thought it would pass but it didn't so we went to the emergency room and they diagonsed me with Diverticulitus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis). Stayed there for a few hours and went home with anitbiotics. A couple days later the pain was worse so we went back to the ER and this time I had to stay a couple days. After that I was fine for a week then the pain came back pretty bad so I went back again and had to stay 4 days in the Hospital.

They decided I will need surgery to get rid of the bad area of the colon. So yesterday I had to have a Barium X-Ray (not fun at all:() for the surgeon to see where the area they need to take out is. Today they called and said I have a polyp in my colon that needs to removed before the surgery.

So next week starting Mon. have to have a pre-op physical in the morning, then later that day go in to have the Stigmoidoscopy (remove polyp), then Tues and Wed go on a clear liquid only diet for those 2 days also on Wed. I have to drink a bunch of a Gatorade/Miralax (laxative) mixture, and Thursday is Surgery day. Probably be in the Hospital around a week.

beksy
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Wow, it sounds like you're having a difficult time (and I totally sympathize with that x-ray). Sending you lots of pixie dust and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that everything goes smoothly and you have a quick recovery. :wishes: :pixie::pixie::pixie:

LauraleeH
02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Ugh, that's horrible, I'm sorry! I'll be praying for you...

RedSoxFan
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:that everything goes okay and a quick recovery.

Dsnygirl
02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Sending loads of :pixie: :pixie: your way that things go well this week... it'll be quite a time for you, but hopefully, you'll come out of this week feeling much better, and you can start really looking forward to your fall trip!! :thumbsup: Good luck to you!!

cindchan
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Sorry to hear that!

Hope your recover quickly!! :tink:

Beast_fanatic
02-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Lots of :pixie: on the way to you! Hope it all goes well!

SBETigg
02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Oh, that's awful. So sorry. :pixie: and prayers that it all goes well.

PirateLover
02-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Ugh, that sounds rough. :pixie: to you. I hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

DixieBelle
02-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Sending lots of Pixie Dust to you!!
I hope all goes well!
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

caryrae
02-12-2009, 08:54 AM
:thanks: Intercot is always great for the support that is given to everyone in good and bad times. I am glad the Hospital has free wireless internet to help pass the time and still visit Intercot daily.

:rocks:

DizNee143
02-12-2009, 09:15 AM
prayers and pixie dust on the way for the week...

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

caryrae
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Man the toughest part so far is the not being able to eat. I couldn't eat on Sunday and part of Monday because of getting the polyp removed on Monday (which was not to bad) but I could eat after that. Now starting today, Tues, I can't eat at all again (on a clear liquid diet) because of the surgery on Thursday and I am sure I will be on clear liquids only for a few days after surgery too. So the only time I was able to eat this week was Monday about 3 pm after they removed the polyp. Needless to say I ate good on Monday evening.

DizNee143
02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
glad your doing ok so far...i hope thursdays surgery goes smooth for you also..with all the liquids and no real diet..you can look on the bright side...im sure youll lose some wait!! :mickey:

SBETigg
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow, not eating is rough. I hope all continues to go well and the week goes by fast.

pink
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I know what you're going through, I have diffulcult problems with my abdomen as well.

Hang in there and know that it does get worse before it gets better but once it's all over you'll feel like yourself again. Stay positive! :mickey:

MickeyMousse
02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
So sorry to hear that you have to go through all of this! I worked in Gastroenterology for 20 years, so I've seen it all. I thought maybe I'd give you a few suggestions to make things easier:
During your sigmoidoscopy, take deep breaths through your nose and blow out the mouth. This will help you relax.

Clear liquids: remember, it just isn't water! (I can't tell you how many patients complained of weakness because it's all they drank!!) Clear juices (no pulp, avoid red-sometimes that mimics bleeding), boullion, soda (take out the fizz and flatten, you don't need all that gas!),
gatorades. Check if you can have Ensure-can't see thru it, but there's no milk.

Keep us up to date!! Here's some pixie dust sent your way!!:pixie:

ElenitaB
02-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Good luck with your surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

While you're asking about the clear liquids, ask about diet jello as well. It always seems to make an appearance on my tray post-op while still on liquids.

caryrae
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Man that Pixie Dust works great.

My surgery went great and the recovery is going good, was able to come home yesterday (Monday) afternoon, so 4 days in the hospital. The first couple days were rough mostly getting in and out of the bed were toughest but it is getting better everyday.

Thanks everyone!!!

Beast_fanatic
02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
:thumbsup: Glad everything went well! More :pixie: on the way for your recovery!

Be sure not to push beyond what the doctor tells you!

SBETigg
02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Glad to hear you are home and doing well. Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Glad to hear you're home and that your recovery is going smoothly -- that's good news!! Was wondering how you were doing... thanks for letting us know! Sending more healing :pixie: your way!! :thumbsup: