PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century Resort

Laura670
02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi,
Could anyone tell me about Pop Century? We have a trip booked for the end of Oct and have never stay at a value resort. We love the Animal Kingdom Lodge but decided to save a little money on this trip. Is there a specific bldg to ask for? Is everything spread out like the Carribean Beach? Any information would be great :mickey:

crazygoalie39
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
We love Pop! I wouldn't say there's a specific building to ask for but a preffered room is nice since you're closer to the food court and buses. I've never been to CBR but Pop isn't spread out. The food court and everything are in one central building then you go out back and that's where the buildings with rooms are. Basically, the closer to the food court the better.

MNNHFLTX
02-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Pop Century is my favorite value resort--I just love how bright and cheerful it is, with all the larger-than-life icons. It isn't as spread out as the Caribbean Beach Resort, but there are some buildings that are a bit of a distance from Classic Hall (the main building and bus stop). I enjoyed staying in the 70's a few years back. It was close enough to Classic Hall to be convenient for early morning coffee runs, yet also fairly close to a parking lot (I had a rental car on that trip).

If you have only stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge before, do keep in mind that Pop's rooms will be significantly smaller, and that the toilets flush very loudly (just wanted you to know that because it scared the dickens out of me the first I used it).

AmandaChan
02-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Having stayed at both Pop and an AS resort I would have to say that POP is probably the nicer of the values. It's newer, more updated, and nicer. The bus system is nicer as you don't have to share your bus with any other resorts (unlike we did at Sports). The rooms are efficient and clean (although we had a bad experience with our smoke alarm going off for NO REASON and we tried to scurry to get ready and we finally left after it had been going off for about 15 minutes.. we don't smoke or ANYTHING and we didn't burn anything! We didn't get a "sorry for that" or ZILCH. Had we not been fixing to leave anyways who knows how long we would have sat there with it on.)

The food court is huge with plenty of options. The pool bar is nice and cute and the service was always great. We stayed in the 50's area and it was quite a bit of walk to the buses but we managed. Everything was pretty close and never seemed like a bad bus drive. Especially DHS and Epcot. I hope you have a good stay!

Amanda :nurse:

Laura670
02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
If you have only stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge before, do keep in mind that Pop's rooms will be significantly smaller, and that the toilets flush very loudly (just wanted you to know that because it scared the dickens out of me the first I used it).

No We have stayed at the Carribean Beach, Grand Floridian (NEVER AGAIN!!!) and Animal Kingdom. One more question though we will also have a rent a car are the buildings near the parking lots or is there just one main lot? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you all for responding so quickly :mickey:

oliver&bianca
02-11-2009, 01:33 PM
We have stayed at POP 2x, and overall we like it. Here are the things we like about POP:

1. Theme - the interior and exterior decor really helps with the whole "Disney experience". (Larger than life Disney Characters, etc).

2. No bus sharing. (direct trips from resort to parks).

3. Value. We don't spend a lot of time in our room, so therefore we don't want to pay for a huge room and a lot of ameneties that we wouldn't use.

4. Pools. The pools are large but NOT elaborate as with other resorts. This may be a negative to some, but to us it is a positive. It is hard to drag our kids away from the pool anyways. I don't want to spend all of our time at the pool. We can do that anywhere/anytime.

5. Food Court. The food court is very large with PLENTY of seating areas.

stitchaholic
02-11-2009, 02:35 PM
We just came back from there,on the 3rd day i switched resorts and left for CSR. the beds were tiny and had big dips in the center,the pool was freezing and the people who worked in the food court seemed pretty unhappy.
we had stayed previously at the all star movies and i much preffered that.
this time the wonderful people in the concierge at pop helped me to swithch resorts painlessly.

BMan62
02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
No We have stayed at the Carribean Beach, Grand Floridian (NEVER AGAIN!!!) and Animal Kingdom. One more question though we will also have a rent a car are the buildings near the parking lots or is there just one main lot? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you all for responding so quickly :mickey:

The map that you can get to through the "resorts" tab above will show you the layout of the resort.

http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/popcentury07.jpg

We have stayed in buildings 9, 7 and 3 and prefer building 9. It is the closest of the three to the buses.

MNNHFLTX
02-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Yes, as you can see by the map there are parkings near most of the buildings, so most of the time there isn't a long trek from your car to your room.

AdventurerKim
02-12-2009, 12:19 PM
We stay at POP on all of our long trips. We love it! It's not as spread out as CB, but the best part about POP is... ONE BUS STOP!!!! :mickey:

FenwayGirl
02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I am staying at POP in May for the first time.
We do not have preferred rooms booked. What building would be good to stay in?

crazygoalie39
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
50's, 60's and 70's are the best IMO. 80's and 90's are pretty far away from everything. We stayed in the 70's last time and absolutely loved it. :mickey: