PDA

View Full Version : limewire???

Disney-Nut
02-11-2009, 08:51 AM
anybody here of this website called limewire? some told about this site \to dowload disney music or any music for that matter. has any one tried it is it safe, and is it acually free???? any infi would help.

BigRedDad
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Limewire is the same as Napster, Torrents, etc. If you own a license for the song or album, you can download it without any issue. I have noticed many more things on Limewire now have viruses.

JPL
02-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Limewire is virus paradise. One word of warning do not download anything that is a zip file this is where the majority of the viruses reside. As for the legality of it that's another issue.

MNNHFLTX
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Limewire is a file-sharing program downloaded from their site--you can use the program for free (and it is legal), but actually downloading copyrighted songs from other members libraries (that you have not paid for) is not legal. Many people still use it, but I think it may be a matter before they crack down on this, much as they did with Napster years ago (before they started adding fees for their service or their songs).

I have also heard that there is the potential to get viruses through it.

NotaGeek
02-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Here's a rule of thumb ... if you are downloading music for "free" from any site that is a "file sharing source" it's illegal. If you download "free" music from iTunes or any other official music purchasing site by using a voucher or taking advantage of free download specials, or paying for the music, it's totally legal.

INTERCOT does not condone illegal activity, especially when it involves downloading Disney Music ...

vorpalswrd
02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
On a side note, avoid iTunes like the plague. I can't count the number of songs I have paid for and then received a poorly recorded song which was cut short at the end like a radio version.

JPL
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Actually if you own an official copy of the music it's legal. So for example if you have cassette of an album and download the MP3 files as long you keep a copy of the original it's legal for you to download. Basically something that you can create on your own I have done this in the past to save time when Ionly wanted a song or 2 for my iPod and I already owned a copy of the music it was just quicker to download it than actually ripping 1 song from a bunch of different CDs.

NotaGeek
02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Actually if you own an official copy of the music it's legal. So for example if you have cassette of an album and download the MP3 files as long you keep a copy of the original it's legal for you to download. Basically something that you can create on your own I have done this in the past to save time when Ionly wanted a song or 2 for my iPod and I already owned a copy of the music it was just quicker to download it than actually ripping 1 song from a bunch of different CDs.
I don't think the OP actually owns the original music since she was asking if it was "free".

caryrae
02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
On a side note, avoid iTunes like the plague. I can't count the number of songs I have paid for and then received a poorly recorded song which was cut short at the end like a radio version.

Well my wife and I use iTunes all the time and have never had any of the problems you spoke of and we have downloaded tons and tons of songs.

BMan62
02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
A friend of mine just had to reimage his machine due to viruses downloaded through Limewire files.

If you are going to use the service, make very sure you have your anti-virus software up to date!!!!

Disney-Nut
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
O.K. Thanks for the response, doesnt look like i will be getting that. thanks again

Dznygrl79
02-22-2009, 06:57 AM
I work at the Genius Bar, at a local computer store and when we see Limewire we associate it with a social disease. Someone told me about it so I did it and now my computer is dead, its especially bad on a PC. It opens the door to all kinds of spyware, adaware, and viruses. Its just best not to download from a "free" site because while the music is "free" there are many costs getting your computer repaired.
As far as problems with iTunes, if you ever run into problems just email the customer service website and they resend the song.

DizneyRox
02-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Lets keep this in perspective... I wouldn't say it's Limewire that's the problem, it's the users. Limewire makes P2P easy, in which case you have every Tom, Dick, and Sally that don't have a clue about computers downloading anything they find. Then, they blindly run it thinking nothing about the fact they know nothing about the people they dowloaded it from, etc.

It's pretty much like leaving your doors unlocked all the time.

I know many people who DO NOT have Limewire or any other P2P app installed on their computer. But they too are click happy and end up installing anything and everytihng they see.

I now charge for my repair services, sortof like my own little stimulus package.

That said, I gave up on Limewire long ago. There's nothing exclusive our there that I can't find on Google. Everyone who's anyone knows the good stuff is available on BitTorrent sites and the Usenet.