PDA

View Full Version : POP or ASM?

scoot241
02-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm having trouble deciding between POP and ASM, having never stayed at either resort. I think POP is in a somewhat better location (and doesn't share buses) but I think my DD (3) would like the theming at ASM better. This being my DD's first trip, I don't plan to be in full-out rush mode like I have been in the past (especially with my college friends) and do plan to go back to the resort for naps and such. We'll be there for 6 nights.

Thoughts?

Strmchsr
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I know folks have made a big deal about not sharing a bus at Pop, but I honestly didn't feel it made that much of a difference. I've stayed at all of the All-Stars and I've found them all to be pretty equal. I'd say pick the one whose themeing you think you'd enjoy the most. They're all fun.

c&d
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
We've stayed at Movies, Sports and Pop. We didn't like Sports, it was just very noisy when we were there. Out of Movies and Pop, I liked Movies more. I just really enjoyed the larger than life movie characters.

crazygoalie39
02-10-2009, 05:12 PM
POP!! We stayed at Pop last year and absolutely loved it. I've heard complaints about busing but we never had to wait that long for a bus. The atmosphere was really nice there and the rooms were good for being so cheap. The other complaint I hear is the food court being busy. It can definitely be busy in the morning but we were out of there before the crowds arrived.

Pirate Granny
02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
We LOVE the pools at the POP...and the water play area...they are much better than those at the All Stars IMO.
:pirate:

Crow
02-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I like Pop more for the location, its newer etc.
also has a lake and some view of Illumations fireworks.
the buses are busiest to MK
food court is busy at times at both
icees from beverage station at POP

Tink#64
02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Pop is now our WDW home, for all of the above mentioned reasons & we just love it there! But - ASMo's was our 1st stay, DS's were 4 & 6 & they loved the theming there! We have some of the cutest pics of DS's with the huge icons there! They were so into Toy Story at that time, and 101 Dalmations, etc, it was perfect for their 1st trip! We have nothing negative to say about ASMo's, it was great, but yes, the bus situation is better at Pop! We only decided to try Pop because it was new & now it's our place!

Eventually we'll probably try a mod, but Pop fits us right now & you should go with what you feel like will be a better fit for you! :mickey:

Disney-Nut
02-11-2009, 08:10 AM
If i had to choose' I'd go with POP Century. The buses at the all star sports didnt seem to crowded to me but then again i was there in january when its less crowded anyway. I just liked the newness (if thats even a word) of the POP.

CanadianWDWFan
02-11-2009, 08:18 AM
We prefered the ALL-Stars to POP. What we found with POP was the size of the resort was too big for our liking. I guess that is why POFQ is our place to be.:D

Whenever we went to the POP food court it was way too crowded, noisy and just plain untidy. This was not even true meal times as we tend to eat at off times.

Our DS who was 3 when we stayed at the ASMo last LOVED all the movie icons. He really did enjoy walking around the resort checking out all of the icons.

I am sure where ever you choose to stay, you will have a great time!

Mousemates
02-11-2009, 08:37 AM
We've stayed at both and really didn't notice much difference between them in terms of the busses, noise, food courts, etc. Our fave thing about the pop was something that was pretty much specific to the time of year we visited (on the top floor overlooking the lake we watched five different fireworks shows on NYEve 2007). So I think I'd go with theming and if you have smaller kids (as opposed to teens), I think the theming of the ASMovies is far more apt to get them revved up and excited for a day of disney fun.

stitchaholic
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
if you enjoy sleeping,i would book ASMo,i much preffered it to pop,plus the beds are newer there,same size but newer.

AdventurerKim
02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I would go to POP. Only ONE BUS STOP so you'll get back to you room sooner to sleep. We've always been comfortable at POP, and we've stayed at ASM. I didn't see any difference in the two rooms or amenities.

SandmanGStefani24
02-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I say POP hands down. ASM had a few issues that bugged me and will keep me from returning. 1, the dumb tractor/golf carts pulling things behind them seem to be running up and down the sidewalks and through parking lots non-stop. (the noise can get annoying, plus they don't seem to care if you're walking or driving in front of them, as they go where and when they please.) 2, mousekeeping at ASM seemed to start at 8:30AM based on the noise each morning. Try sleeping in with that, and if you don't place the privacy/do not disturb tag in the lock, you can bet you'll be woken up bright and early. 3, and this is a big one. My door keycard stopped working (at 12:15am, no less) and the 2nd card they gave me did not work either. I had to wait until 1:05AM for someone to let me into my room! :mad: What's worse, the front desk didn't seem to care, and were completely indifferent to my problem. All they cared about was checking people in, and they told me I just had to wait until someone showed up. Good customer service can make up for almost anything, and they let me down. BIG time. I had a decent time until my last night there. I will not be back, not because of the door issue, but the way it was handled. They were apollogetic at check out, but the damage was done. Pop, no question.

LudwigVonDrake
02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
All Star Movies has the best theming of the All-Stars but I would recommend Pop Century for location and bus service.

GrmGrninGost
02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Though both are good, my family prefers POP. We've stayed there several times and each was very enjoyable. I would rather stay at a moderate, or even better, a deluxe, but sometimes money is a constraint. At these times, POP is our home away from home! :mickey:

Bret92
02-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I haven't had the opportunity yet to stay in any of the All Star resorts, though I have stayed in POP, and I loved it so much that it is where I will be staying again this June, woo!

MistressGracey999
02-19-2009, 11:06 PM
We have stayed at Pop many times, and we like it so much, we never even consider staying anywhere else. The layout for the All Stars and Pop is the same, but Pop is a newer resort, and I have always heard that when those HUGE groups of noisy schoolkids come to WDW, they stay at the All Stars. Plus, at All Stars, your bus has to make three stops to let everyone off at their respective resorts. Last time we left MK, there was a HUGE line of folks waiting for the All Star bus, and and even HUGER line of people waiting for a Pop bus. BUT...here comes three busses for Pop, pulling up side by side and swallowed up the whole group in one!

CaptSmee
02-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Now that POP is open and priced the same as the All Stars, I would never stay at the All Stars again (unless they were the only rooms available maybe). The locations better, the buses are better, the food court is better, the rooms are newer...do I need to continue?

AmandaChan
02-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Having stayed at AS sports and POP I can definitely tell the difference between the two bus services. You never have to go to stop at another bus stop, you go straight to the parks. And the bus isn't already half full when it shows up at the resort, etc. Not only that but POP is newer and more up to date with everything, the rooms are newer than the AS resorts and it's just nicer. POP also has movie theming (large Lady and Tramp icons, large Jungle Book icons, etc). If the pools at ASM are anything like the pools at ASS then POP's pools are MUCH nicer!!! I have not stayed at either of the ASM's but I would rather stay at POP over the AS any day.

jusandnew
02-20-2009, 07:37 AM
I like ASM better. ASM has the family suites that is great.
POP is to big for us. If you are not in the preferred area you have to walk a distance to get up front. We statyed by the lake and when you have small children it is a long walk. The other thing about POP is the parking. You have certain parking areas and they are not mostly by the rooms.
It is busy when you are trying to get your food.

The only thing I like about POP is the Icees. They are the only value resort that has them.

As far which value resort We like the movies , because of the characters.

paragon
02-20-2009, 09:36 AM
We stayed at Pop last Sept. It is very nice. What I liked best was the food court and gift area. I thought it was laid out better. We've stayed at Movie and Sports as well, and are going back in April to Movies. buses didn't come into play as we always rent a car. As far as the rooms go, I saw no difference, and we don't spend alot of time at the hotel anyway, thats not why we go. We use the food court only for breakfast, we often eat our dinners at other resorts and wander around them and explore.
I think any of the values are equally good, and the theming is great all the way around.
aside from characters, would little ones know what an 8 track tape is, or any of the other early years icons even are?

Anyway, have fun wherever you go!

GINNY69
02-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I stayed at both resorts and hands down I will have to say ASM is better than the POP.