PDA

View Full Version : Any Aesop fable references in the parks???

cjb121879
02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Guys- looking for a bit of help for my folklore class. My professor has asked us to come up with some examples of interpretations of Aesop's fables in the modern world. I've got a couple of ideas kicking around in my head, but I know there must be some Disney-specific ones. And being a Disneyphile, these are the ones I'd find most interesting! I'd especially love an example of an fable reference in the parks- rides, decor, etc, as opposed to cartoons (I know there were some Aesop-related Silly Symphonies shorts).

Any ideas? I appreciate any help you can provide!

Laughin' place
02-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm stumped, sure cant think of one. Hope someone else comes thru for u.

magicofdisney
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Splash Mountain. Brer Rabbit is asking to not be thrown in the briar patch.

Mendelson
02-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, The Ant and the Grasshopper is pretty directly played out in "A Bug's Life," which is of course represented in the parks.

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing has as its message that those who practice deceit are often brought down by this deceit...so we have Jafar in Aladdin and the Ursula in the Little Mermaid, to think of a few real quick (though the correlation is not exactly the same as they are not brought down directly because of their deceit).

There's a little Town Mouse and Country Mouse in Mermaid also.

I'm sure we could make connections with dozens of others...but I am at work right now. :secret:

Laughin' place
02-11-2009, 01:36 PM
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Splash Mountain. Brer Rabbit is asking to not be thrown in the briar patch.

The Uncle Remus stories arent from Aesop, they were written by Joel Chandler Harris

magicofdisney
02-11-2009, 11:08 PM
The Uncle Remus stories arent from Aesop, they were written by Joel Chandler Harris
It was my understanding that Brer Rabbit was inspired by Aesop but I can't find evidence of that right now. The OP was looking for references to such. Thanks for the history lesson. :thumbsup: