PDA

View Full Version : worried about being too fat to ride!

heatherbug24
02-10-2009, 02:02 AM
:mickey: I am going to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando in a few weeks and I'm so excited! But, I am afraid I won't fit on the rides. It's been about 5 or 6 years since I've been to Disney and I am heavier now. I am a 5'0 tall woman......about 270-280 and a size 26-28. Any other short "fat" girls out there with advice? LOL, I am going with my skinny friend who has never been to Disney before and I don't want to spoil things for him. I am so nervous, I've read some of the others posts, and most of those people seem to be tall as well which means their weight is distributed more evenly in most instances! Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks so much!!! :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Well, I am a bit taller - I'm 5'6 but I am a size 20-22 and I fit just fine in all the attractions.

kakn7294
02-10-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm also a bit taller at 5' 5" but I wear a size 24 - 26 and I can fit into all the attractions just fine. I usually have to squeeze through the turnstiles but I've found that turning sideways a bit helps there.

Strmchsr
02-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/misc/largeandincharge.asp) for a great section on this issue in Info Central.

At my biggest I was 370 (yes, I'm 6'4, but that's still pretty big) and I could ride everything.

DixieBelle
02-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Welcome to INTERCOT! heatherbug24
In addition to Large and in Charge at WDW on this website, there are some additional tips on another sight under the heading, WDW At Large, where you can read posts from others about how they experienced the rides, and get some good tips before heading down.
I hope this helps!.....:mickey:

beksy
02-10-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm 5'4" and the same size as you. I didn't have trouble on any of the rides (even Dumbo!) although some of the turnstiles can be a tight squeeze! If you're really worried, there's a book from Passporter that deals with all sorts of issues and gives advice. It does cover size but I found that the section mentioned above was helpful too. Don't worry about the skinny friend--that just means you won't be crowded on the rides! Have a great trip.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Please don't worry! I'm 5'5, and a size 26 - 28 and have been able to go on every Disney ride I wanted to!

In reality, the turnstiles are the biggest challenge, but I just turn side-ways and go through. I've never had an issue on any of the rides. I was especially worried about rides with belts, intead of the bars, but even they were fine.

Enjoy your Disney trip :mickey:

Sunshine1010
02-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Can anyone tell me if the beforementioned size can ride the rides at Universal?

BriarRose
02-10-2009, 12:54 PM
At Universal, I think the main rides one would have a problem on are the roller coasters. But they do have designated rows that have seats with more room. I believe at the entrance of those rides they have seats you can sit in to determine which seat you will need.

Laughin' place
02-10-2009, 01:06 PM
There is a podcast done by a very tall and full-sized gentleman. The name escapes me right now, but I'll come back and post when I remember. If I recall, he has a website,too. I think he is a guestr contributor on WDW Radio Show podcast, so maybe you can find a clue on Lou Mongello's many websites (WDWtrivia.com, etc). Good luck

Gooftroop5
02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I too fit into the category of 24-26 size. however i am 5'7 i fit on all the rides dh is 5"10 & were's well he'd be mad if i wrote his size lets just say he is a really big guy & he rode everything including the rock & roll coaster. We were just there in the beginning of december.

Enjoy your trip.

bouncyprouncy
02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Can anyone tell me if the beforementioned size can ride the rides at Universal?

We were at Universal last September with a lady slightly larger than the size mentioned in the original thread. She had no issues riding anything in Universal. She did have to take advantage of the large people rows at the roller coasters, they can help at the ride if you are unsure which rows those are.

BigWes6
02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
What about mission space ? I've been told that people of larger size (like myself 6'3" 300+) could't ride , Is that true ? That's the one I am worried that I won't fit .

thrillme
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
My DH is 6'1 and about 300+ lbs. We did Universal over the summer and Disney in October. At Universal he was able to ride EVERYTHING. On a few of the rides (Dueling Dragons and Hulk) We choose the 3rd and 6th rows. These rows have larger seats than the others. The Mummy seats in the back row seemed a little bigger...These were a "little" tight but he got in fine by shifting around a bit.

Disney...The ONLY thing he had trouble with was the "Cyber Mountain" roller coaster at Disney Quest. Other than that he fit on EVERYTHING including Mission Space.

Mission Space SEEMS like it would be really constricting but it's very "forgiving". For the VERY tall it might be a little tight leg wise but it's workable. It's only for a few minutes. (Oh yes...we did the ORANGE side...and none of us had any side effects). If you can arrange to have an empty seat next to you it might be more comfortable. I know my DH at 6'1 seemed fine. He carries most of the weight in chest and tummy.

BigWes6
02-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks, I'm goin for it in April :mickey: