PDA

View Full Version : Old Magic Kingdom 3D movie?

twosiamesecats
02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I remember seeing years ago a 3D movie that had children running through sunflowers. I think it had a witch somewhere in it. I think Kodak made the film. Does anyone remember this movie? If so, what was the name of it? I sure would love to see it on U tube. Thanks!

cubbie
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I believe it was called Magic Journeys. It was shown where PhilarMagic is now, and I think it was replaced by the Lion King show. For some reason, it always creeped me out when I was a kid, but I would also love to see it again now. I still have the song from the show on an old tape and cd. Hope this is what you were looking for.

handmaidenofprincesses
02-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe Magic Journeys was in Epcot. I'm pretty sure it was in the Imagination Pavilion, where it was replaced by some Michael Jackson thing, which was then replaced by Honey I Shrunk the Audience, which can still be seen today.

goofy78
02-10-2009, 03:25 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe Magic Journeys was in Epcot. I'm pretty sure it was in the Imagination Pavilion, where it was replaced by some Michael Jackson thing, which was then replaced by Honey I Shrunk the Audience, which can still be seen today.

Ahh, good old captain EO! I can barely remember the show but I know I saw it a few times and enjoyed it. My brother had the little red furry guy with wings and a long tail stuffed animal. As for a magic kingdom 3d show I can't say I recall any.

wdwfansince75
02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
According to my once incredible memory....
Magic Journeys was the original 3-D movie at the Imagination Pavilion when EPCOT first opened....It was replaced by Captain EO in the mid-80's, and moved to MK in Fantasyland to replace The Mickey Mouse Revue....later replaced there by Legend of the Lion King, which was in turn replaced by Mickey's Philharmagic

Altair
02-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Magic Journeys was the original 3-D movie at the Imagination Pavilion when EPCOT first opened....It was replaced by Captain EO in the mid-80's, and moved to MK in Fantasyland to replace The Mickey Mouse Revue....later replaced there by Legend of the Lion King, which was in turn replaced by Mickey's Philharmagic

I believe you are correct about this.:thumbsup:

Goofster
02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Another website says this though:

Captain EO was shown in the Journey Into Imagination Pavilion in Epcot
from September 12, 1986 until July 6, 1994.

But I swear I saw Captain EO in 1996 in Tomorrowland at the MK...where Timekeeper was (and now the Laugh Floor)...not where Philharmagic is. :confused:

Stu29573
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Maybe you're thinking of Disneyland? Captain EO ran in Tomorrowland there...

Tink1
02-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Yes! 1987-1993 Magic Journeys played in the MK.

Nanc

Goofster
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
From another website...I think we have the answer...except I swear Captain EO was in Tomorrowland at some point...maybe I'm losing my mind. :cool:

Magic Journeys was the first 3D movie created by Walt Disney Imagineering for a Disney theme park. This 3-D film was one of the opening attractions at EPCOT Center on October 1, 1982. It was directed by Murray Lerner and featured a song by Robert and Richard Sherman. Starting on June 16, 1984, it began its short run at Disneyland inside the new Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland.

In January 1986, Disneyland closed the show and Walt Disney World followed suit on February 9 in order to make way for the new space adventure, Captain EO. Walt Disney World later moved the movie into the Fantasyland Theatre inside the Magic Kingdom on December 15, 1987. It played there until December 1, 1993 when it was removed in order to make room for the Legend Of The Lion King show.

Magic Journeys looked at the world through the eyes of a child. The film started with children running through a meadow and looking at clouds. Someone blew on a dandelion and the seeds then flew away, turning into stars and then turned into the sun. Next the kids were seen flying a kite at the beach. The kite then turned into a bird, a fish, a school of fish, a flock of birds, bird wings, a Pegasus, a horse and then finally into a merry-go-round. While the children rode the carousel, they began reaching for a brass ring spinning next to the carousel; it became a moon, a bat, a witch, a mask and finally into the Sphinx.

Tink1
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
are you thinking of Mission to Mars being in the Magic Kingdom? I vauguely remember that from my honeymoon, but it was not 3D

Nanc

cubbie
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I remembered Captain EO in the Imagination Pavillion, but I never saw Magic Journeys there. Glad someone was able to clarify that it did also show where PhilharMagic is now. I was pretty show that's where I saw it, but it's good to have backup on this.

wdwfansince75
02-10-2009, 05:58 PM
are you thinking of Mission to Mars being in the Magic Kingdom? I vauguely remember that from my honeymoon, but it was not 3D

Nanc
Nope....Mission to Mars was where Stitch now plays....Original show there was Flight to the Moon....replaced by Mission to Mars, than Alien Encounter....
The original show across the way from there (Circle Vision Theatre) was America the Beautiful....which was replaced by Magic Carpet Round the World....which was replaced by American Journeys, then Timekeeper, and then Laugh Floor....Never saw American Journeys...Recall that Magic Carpet Round the World had some of the same scenes as Timekeeper....

Imagineer1981
02-10-2009, 06:17 PM
wow great memories, Captain EO was terrifying though...you can watch it on YouTube

Toad
02-10-2009, 06:52 PM
You can find a home video recording of Magic Journeys (almost in its entirety) on Mousebits.com.
It's in Part 3 of the "History of Fantasyland" video series.

Aside from the primitive visual effects, it was probably one of Disney's finest 3-D shows. I've had quite a few dreams about this one.

dixielandings
02-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Ah, Magic Journeys. First 3D film I ever saw. That was at DL though.

I'm singing the song in my head right now...