PDA

View Full Version : Strangest comment from a CM...

Mendelson
02-09-2009, 09:58 AM
So during our trip a couple of weeks ago we received the strangest comment from a CM I've ever heard.

We - my daughter, my wife and myself - were with a photopass CM in Japan and she was sort of wandering around, looking for a good place with few people. As we walked she wanted to make small talk, I guess, and said, "So how do you all know each other?"

I turned around and looked at my wife and daughter and we all had the same perplexed look on our face. How do we know each other? Uhh...we met on the plane and decided to all get together and go to Disney World? How do we know each other??? Lol. I said, "Well, this is my wife and the younger girl is our daughter." I know...an odd combination to be at WDW!

I had my daughter quite young and as she progresses into her teen years I have gotten some looks and questions when her and I are out together, particularly if we are dressed up and out in the evening. My wife is her stepmom and is a few years older than me, and a more appropriate age to be her mother. But I think most people looking at us would see a normal nuclear family, especially at WDW.

Anyway, we thought it was hysterical and it became one of those things we said to each other for the rest of the trip (and are still saying)!

Anyone else want to share something similar?

SBETigg
02-09-2009, 10:16 AM
That's odd! Really funny. I've never had any unusual comments from CMs.

Physcayt
02-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I always find it interesting how people's perspective vary in different situations. I read this comment and though, gee, what a nice un-assuming way to address a group of people. While many families do look very "typical" my family certainly does not. When we travel to Disney it is my MIL, my 32yo wife, my 27 year old BIL, my two sisters-in-law who are 11 and 14, AND adopted from China, and this year my 1 year old son. I find it refreshing when people talk to us without making assumptions as they invariably get it wrong. LOL.

So I guess, i'm just playing :thedolls: devil's advocate and pointing out another possibility. :D

beksy
02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
The only thing I ever get is the occassional "oh, are you two twins?" or the "oh, you're identical twins!" when I'm out with my sister. This happens everywhere, not just at WDW. We are definitely NOT twins by the way. I'm six years older than she is! I don't know if I look young for my age or she looks older. :confused: As a very protective older sister, I'm going to go with I look younger (she's 20 and like my daughter half the time and is growing up too fast as it is!). We've gotten used to it and just laugh and say no, just sisters. I will admit that we look a lot alike but definitely not identical! The worst thing is a couple of times guys have argued with us about it--like we wouldn't know if we were twins or admit it?

WDWFanatic
02-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Too funny. After reading the responses maybe it is a nice way to address a group. But lets be honest also, at some point half way through your vacation wouldn't you rather be with some strangers you met on the plane.;). Just kidding, I love vacationing with my family.:D

Mendelson
02-09-2009, 06:30 PM
But lets be honest also, at some point half way through your vacation wouldn't you rather be with some strangers you met on the plane.;).

One time I sat right behind Sela Ward in first class and we spoke a bit at the luggage carousel (where she called me "sweet"!!). She could have spent as much time with me as she wanted. :secret:

And we did consider that maybe they are trained to say something that doesn't initially imply "family," so as not to potentially offend. You know, the verbal equivalent of pointing with two fingers.

Buttercup
02-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I always find it interesting how people's perspective vary in different situations. I read this comment and though, gee, what a nice un-assuming way to address a group of people. While many families do look very "typical" my family certainly does not. When we travel to Disney it is my MIL, my 32yo wife, my 27 year old BIL, my two sisters-in-law who are 11 and 14, AND adopted from China, and this year my 1 year old son. I find it refreshing when people talk to us without making assumptions as they invariably get it wrong. LOL.

So I guess, i'm just playing :thedolls: devil's advocate and pointing out another possibility. :D
Ditto to this. I don't think she figured you were travelling with complete strangers.
For all she knew, your wife was your sister and those were your neices/nephews. They can't make assumptions that you're a nuclear family. ;)

CaptSmee
02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
My sister and I go together quite often and are referred to as a couple often (yucko!) even though we look similar to one another. The strangest thing I heard my last trip was our server at Tony's trying to talk me OUT OF having the baked ziti. She even asked me if i'd had it before to which I replied "yes", and she says to me "and you still want to have it?" :confused:

goofy78
02-10-2009, 03:40 AM
My sister and I go together quite often and are referred to as a couple often (yucko!) even though we look similar to one another. The strangest thing I heard my last trip was our server at Tony's trying to talk me OUT OF having the baked ziti. She even asked me if i'd had it before to which I replied "yes", and she says to me "and you still want to have it?" :confused:

OMG. That's hilarious! I can't believe the server asked you that. Ha ha. Being there probably wasn't as funny as reading about it but you gotta appreciate the humor in that one. :D

iheartdisney
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
As we walked she wanted to make small talk, I guess, and said, "So how do you all know each other?"

I would have responded "We live together." And then wait for a reaction.

CaptSmee
02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
OMG. That's hilarious! I can't believe the server asked you that. Ha ha. Being there probably wasn't as funny as reading about it but you gotta appreciate the humor in that one. :D

I was perplexed yet wanted to laugh at the same time! She even went on to say "it's baked in the morning and sits there throughout the day"...mind you we were the among the 1st groups seated at opening for lunch! I really didn't get it...:confused:

goofy78
02-11-2009, 12:28 AM
i can definitely see the confusion there. although i did find it very funny to read about. that is pretty strange though that she would try to talk someone out of it. if there was something really wrong with the food item then she should have brought the issue to management, not question a guest looking forward to the tasty dish.

TheTexasKid
03-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Not strange, as it is understandable, but as a bachelor, I sometimes travel to Walt Disney World with my sister and brother-in-law.

Of course, when we get there, because I look more like my sister than he does, we've been mistaken for husband and wife, while CMs think he's her brother, when I'm the brother, and he's her husband.

jrkcr
03-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Texas kid:
This is why I don't vacation with my brother! :laughing: DH and and I look more alike than my brother and I do, so this could possibly happen to us too! Why take that chance? :D

LauraleeH
03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm always with my brother and people assume we're together. We always hear that we're a cute couple or we have people asking us if we're twins. We're close enough to being twins (I'm 13 months older) so I don't mind getting that response but ewww, I don't want people thinking I'm dating my brother :sick:

PrettyMinnie
03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
The only thing I ever get is the occassional "oh, are you two twins?" or the "oh, you're identical twins!" when I'm out with my sister. This happens everywhere, not just at WDW. We are definitely NOT twins by the way. I'm six years older than she is! I don't know if I look young for my age or she looks older. :confused: As a very protective older sister, I'm going to go with I look younger (she's 20 and like my daughter half the time and is growing up too fast as it is!). We've gotten used to it and just laugh and say no, just sisters. I will admit that we look a lot alike but definitely not identical! The worst thing is a couple of times guys have argued with us about it--like we wouldn't know if we were twins or admit it?

This is too funny! Two of my friends actually are twins but they look NOTHING alike. One is petite and blonde with blue eyes and the other is taller with dark hair and brown eyes. They are COMPLETELY different (personality wise)and when they tell people they are twins people often argue with them! I find it hysterical. Anyway I agree that is annoying when people argue with you. Why would lie?

Hull-onian
03-15-2009, 07:34 PM
"It's all make believe, none of it is real." :(

Dancer Mom
03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Here's a good one. . On more than one occasion I've been asked if my daughter is my grand-daughter. How bad do I look? It's usually from a man around my age that has a granddaughter close to my daughter's age -- I'm 53, she's 13. But still! How bad do I look!:mad:

My brother has 2 adopted children -- one from China and one from the good old USA. They've been mistaken for twins.:confused:

Keasmom
03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Here's a good one. . On more than one occasion I've been asked if my daughter is my grand-daughter. How bad do I look? It's usually from a man around my age that has a granddaughter close to my daughter's age -- I'm 53, she's 13. But still! How bad do I look!:mad:

My brother has 2 adopted children -- one from China and one from the good old USA. They've been mistaken for twins.:confused:

Oh, the grnadmother question, I look a bit younger then my age and I had my daughter later, in my thirties. I almost scream when someone assumes I am the grandmother, YIKES. At WDW when it happened, my daughter said, "Uh, No, that is my mom and that is the result of raising ME" shut that jerk right up. Of course, an hour later a thirtyish man made a very public pass and followed us around for almost an hour, begging. EWE, that was creepy as well.

iheartdisney
03-17-2009, 02:16 PM

We've had that happen to us a few times. Our boys are 10 months apart in age, one asian and one caucasian. When people ask if they're twins I like to think that these wonderful people are so colorblind they just see two beautiful siblings close in age.

brownie
03-18-2009, 07:51 AM
I was perplexed yet wanted to laugh at the same time! She even went on to say "it's baked in the morning and sits there throughout the day"...mind you we were the among the 1st groups seated at opening for lunch! I really didn't get it...:confused:

Maybe she knew something that you didn't and didn't want to get in trouble for telling you!

betteratmk
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Last year at Mama Melrose, we had ordered an appetizer that never came, when DH inquired about it we were told we had enough since there was bread on the table already, we didn't need the appetizer!( it was their breads and dips that we had ordered!!)

Tinkermom
03-18-2009, 10:07 AM
My experience was not so much what a CM said but how she acted. On our first trip to WDW back in 2000 we were in awe and having an amazing, magical trip. I was in the Emporium buying something and the cashier was an older lady. When I laid my stuff on the counter she literally snatched it away right out of my hand to ring it up. I know this does not come across as well in writing but I mean SNATCHED. I was sort of stunned and thought maybe this was some sort of act or something so I did not say anything. She then YELLED/GROWLED my total to me and grabbed my card from me and shoved my stuff into a bag. She then shoved my bag at me and walked away from the counter. It all happened so fast and was so bizzare that like I said I thought she was joking around at first but by the end of the transaction I realized she was royally ticked off by something!! It made me angry that she interrupted my magic!! And, no I have never seen her again, thank-goodness!

DANAM
03-18-2009, 06:05 PM
My children also get the twins thing. My daughter is 60 lb 7 year old. And my son is 4 and maybe 35lb. She's a good 6 or 7 inches taller than him and he was in a stroller. HELLO!My husband and I got it so many times in May we thought of getting a sign saying we aren't twin. Seriously it was just too funny.

Oh and just to add my too sense about MAMA MELROSE we didn't get any weird comment in fact we barely saw the staff but a kid at the table next to us got sick on the table just after we ordered and no one cleaned it up until we where leaving. So nothing you say suprises me about that place.