PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to "Its a Small World"

RocknBev
02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I heard this morning that they are planning to update Its a Small World so it would appeal to the younger generations by adding Aladdin, Nemo and other character and by changing the song. Are you kidding?
I hope this ONLY happens in DisneyLand and they leave WDW alone.
Call me a Dis-nerd all you want but some things are sacred! Disney doens't have to market their movies in every inch of the parks!
Has anyone heard if the Disney suits are planning to make the same changes to the WDW ride?

JPL
02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
So far they have only announced the changes for the Disneyland version but I believe if it is successful in Disneyland it will eventually make it's way to WDW.

CaptainSad
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Why would they refurb something they already refurbed a couple of years ago?:confused:

c&d
02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
My aunt sent me the story on it from Fox news. If you search Disney on their website it will come up. From reading it, I don't think I'd like the changes.

I have the link but I don't know if I can post it.

Melanie
02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
The Hong Kong Disneyland Small World was built this way, and I loved it! Very tastefully done, and it breathed some new life into a classic attraction, IMO. I would gladly welcome the change at WDW. :thumbsup:

princessimagineer
02-05-2009, 05:03 PM
i didnt read the article but in my oppinion, i will allow disney to sneak other characters into there little scene (ie an aladdin and jasmine in the arabic scene, but like make them look like the rest of the dolls so they fit in). it would be sorta like a subliminal message. i think that could be tastefully done.

however : CHANGE THE SONG? like, its only the most sung and recognized song in HISTORY, what would happen if you change it?

Imagineer1981
02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
update the ride w/ characters fine, but change the SONG and I'll boycot Disney for at least 5 years

Goofy4TheWorld
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
however : CHANGE THE SONG? like, its only the most sung and recognized song in HISTORY, what would happen if you change it?

I assume there would be rioting on Main Street!:flame:

Now it's stuck in my head for the rest of the night...

Mousemates
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
just hope they don't do to IASW what they did to the tiki room.

Ian
02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
From the concept art I've seen of the DL version, these changes are as well integrated into the ride as the ones were for Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

I will be checking out the DL ones first hand in a week or so and fully expect to like them.

If they do the same thing in WDW, I'd be fine with it. But they can't change the song ... that's just absurd. The song is the attraction.

dumbo_buddy
02-06-2009, 09:41 AM
The Hong Kong Disneyland Small World was built this way, and I loved it! Very tastefully done, and it breathed some new life into a classic attraction, IMO. I would gladly welcome the change at WDW. :thumbsup:

off topic: Melanears - i'm a Demon Deacon too!

on topic - if it's tastefully done (ie, not like the new mexico ride) then i'm all for it.

i still think it would be fun if each guest were given 6 softballs at the entrance and you could try to hit any of the dolls! (KIDDING OF COURSE!!)

DDuck66
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
off topic: Melanears - i'm a Demon Deacon too!

on topic - if it's tastefully done (ie, not like the new mexico ride) then i'm all for it.

i still think it would be fun if each guest were given 6 softballs at the entrance and you could try to hit any of the dolls! (KIDDING OF COURSE!!) Ever since I read Kingdom Keepers, that ride gives me the creeps. I would not want to make them mad!! They might try and get me.

LarryBoy
02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
I just saw some pics of the new DL version on another site and I really like the additions. They seem to be very subtle and done in the style of the ride. It said if your not looking closely you may even miss some of them. It looks really good. I think it would be fun to see if you can find all of the characters. As for the song, the changes are also very subtle. I think they threw in a hidden bar or two from a Disney song here or there.
All that being said, I don't think this will be happening to the WDW version anytime soon. They just finished a pretty major refurb just a couple of years ago, and they are probably not looking to spend much extra money on new projects right now.

FenwayGirl
02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Just watched the complete ride through on another website. It is very tastefully done. The characters ( jasmine, alice, mulan etc) are just the original dolls dressed up in the cosutmes. They fit right in. The only one of the fab five to be in the ride is Donald Duck:mickey:

CU Tiger
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
As mentioned before, subtle changes are OK, but do not change the song. :mad: It may drive me crazy after a few minutes on the ride, but it is the classic part of the ride!:mickey:

BananaAnna838
02-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Ever since I read Kingdom Keepers, that ride gives me the creeps. I would not want to make them mad!! They might try and get me.

I'm sorry, but I haven't read that and I was wondering what you meant by it. :blush:

I saw the pictures, and I think they they don't look too terrible. NOTHING like the Mexico ride, which I'm still mad about, especially the marketplace scene!! But that's another topic...
I'm going to watch the video once I'm not at work so I can listen to the song!

Lindsey
02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
I agree with Melanears, the Hong Kong ride is wonderful! There is a video of it on YouTube if anyone wants to see it. :mickey:

indytraveler
02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
They just refurbished this ride a couple of years ago. Should've added the characters then. Oh, well I'll have to see it before I can decide if I like it or not.

A new game can be done at the parks now Find Hidden Characters not just hidden Mickey's

TheVBs
02-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I was kind of shocked when I read about this. It's a bold move considering how iconic this ride is. From earlier comments it sounds like it was done well, which is good news if it ever does happen at WDW. I'll have to reserve judgement for when/if I ever see it myself.

I did not like the changes to the Tiki Room, but my girls love it, so I have to appreciate that. I loved the POTC changes!:thumbsup:

Greenlawler
02-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry, but I haven't read that and I was wondering what you meant by it. :blush:

I saw the pictures, and I think they they don't look too terrible. NOTHING like the Mexico ride, which I'm still mad about, especially the marketplace scene!! But that's another topic...
I'm going to watch the video once I'm not at work so I can listen to the song!

Well the dolls come to life and attack the children,

BTW The changes to Mexico ride IMO were great and it has become a family favorite instead of a ride we skip often.

Toad
02-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think the attraction needs any changes. Seriously, how is the inclusion of some Disney characters going to make it any more interesting or relevant. If anything it'll trivialize the ride and it's message (though not nearly as bad as Pirates, The Tiki Room, or Mexico). I don't like to be a naysayer, but I can't help but think that Disney has nearly lost all sense of subtlety and taste.

Carol
02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
I think you all should check out the thread in the Disneyland forum to see the pictures and read the details before judging. :)

I, for one, cannot wait to see the Disneyland version next month -- and "it's a small world" is one of my family favorites.

IamBelle
02-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I believe a few little, small changes wiould be okay, as long as the characters are in the same form as the classic dolls, no 3d special effects of that nature. And as for the song, it's catchy and a Disney staple, it works, why change it??

Coaster_Chick!
02-07-2009, 11:22 PM
How could they change 1 of the best disney classics?!?this is 1 of the few rides designed by Walt himself!!CHARACTERS DONT BELONG HERE!!:mad:

Melanie
02-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Just wanted to reiterate that there has been no announcement regarding a rehab/character addition at Walt Disney World. At this time, changes have only been made at Disneyland.

Toad
02-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I think you all should check out the thread in the Disneyland forum to see the pictures and read the details before judging. :)

I, for one, cannot wait to see the Disneyland version next month -- and "it's a small world" is one of my family favorites.

I've seen the pictures of the new Disneyland ride and I've seen a video of the Hong Kong ride and I still feel the addtions are unnecessary.

Soul_Power
02-08-2009, 02:00 PM

I was going to talk about this as well. I went to HK Disneyland last year, and I thought that they incorporated the characters into the ride very well. They're designed to have the look of the others in the ride, so they don't stick out too much, and it was actually difficult to find some of them.

Coaster_Chick!
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
NNNNNOOOOO!!!! i think they should make no changes to its a small world!!characters do NOT belong here!

cgriff
02-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Is this the refurb where the isaw boats will now support more hefty guests without bottoming out? I had heard something about that some time ago, but just figured it was another JimHill lie.

DryCreek
02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
BTW The changes to Mexico ride IMO were great and it has become a family favorite instead of a ride we skip often.

The old "El Rio Del Tiempo" (the River of Time). I think that the new ride has made a complete mockery of the rich history of Mexico. It seems to be just a short trailer featuring a lost Donald Duck and two other ducks popping up in odd places.

If I were a country hosting an exhibit that was designed to educate guests about my nations' past, and then had it turned into a mindless chase scene through an endless party - I would be deeply offended. It didn't even take time to reflect on the basis of why the season of Fiesta is so important to the culture. I was saddened when I saw this last week.

Of course, that's just my opinion..

Melanie
02-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Is this the refurb where the isaw boats will now support more hefty guests without bottoming out?

It is true that the Disneyland version got new boats. They debuted with the It's A Small World Holiday on November 21, 2008.

Just a reminder to keep this discussion about It's A Small World. :thumbsup:

crazygoalie39
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I've looked at the Disneyland pictures and quite honestly hate all of the new additions. The only ones I thought were decently done were Aladdin and Lion King. Stitch and Toy Story were terrible. I really hope they don't do this to WDW. And they reallllly can't change the song. It's classic and everyone in the world knows it.

horizonsgirl
02-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, I watched the video of the refurbished ride on another site and my response was "Well, I never have to go to Disneyland again!"

When I was 5 years old, I road the original ride many times at the New York World's Fair. From that time on, I bugged my parents to take me to California so I could ride it again. Their response was "they put one in Disney World, it's just the same." My response was no it isn't, it isn't the original.

When I was in my 20s (early 80s) I went out to California with a friend and we went to DL to A Small World (now I'm more than willing to believe some tweeks were done), but the minute we entered the ride in the boat I burst into tears because this was the ride I'd been yearning to see. I couldn't tell you what was different from WDW (well colors were changed in WDW for sure) but somewhere deep inside me I knew I was seeing was what had been the most seminal thing in my life as a child. I still believe searching for the wonder of that World's Fair is what drives me. So, hearing they disfigured that ride that I loved as a 5 year-old (yes, I loved it even w/out Mickey and Donald) just made me sad. And if they put those changes in WDW, I'll never have to ride the ride ever again. Went on it four times two weeks ago and was compelled to take close ups of the dolls for some reason. Maybe something inside me knew this was the last I'd see of my beloved ride.

grwoolf
02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, I watched the video of the refurbished ride on another site and my response was "Well, I never have to go to Disneyland again!"

When I was 5 years old, I road the original ride many times at the New York World's Fair. From that time on, I bugged my parents to take me to California so I could ride it again. Their response was "they put one in Disney World, it's just the same." My response was no it isn't, it isn't the original.

When I was in my 20s (early 80s) I went out to California with a friend and we went to DL to A Small World (now I'm more than willing to believe some tweeks were done), but the minute we entered the ride in the boat I burst into tears because this was the ride I'd been yearning to see. I couldn't tell you what was different from WDW (well colors were changed in WDW for sure) but somewhere deep inside me I knew I was seeing was what had been the most seminal thing in my life as a child. I still believe searching for the wonder of that World's Fair is what drives me. So, hearing they disfigured that ride that I loved as a 5 year-old (yes, I loved it even w/out Mickey and Donald) just made me sad. And if they put those changes in WDW, I'll never have to ride the ride ever again. Went on it four times two weeks ago and was compelled to take close ups of the dolls for some reason. Maybe something inside me knew this was the last I'd see of my beloved ride.

I think this post highlights the constant struggle Disney must deal with. Nostalgia vs. modern relevence. Back when I first visited WDW as a child in the mid 70's, small world was a pretty cool ride and that is probably the main reason I enjoy it as an adult (nostalgia). However, I don't think my kids will have the same feeling about this ride when they are adults. While the message of the ride is still great, they struggle to get past the dated technology and just don't care for the ride. I think rides need to evolve so that new generations will continue to be excited about them. I don't want 20k leagues under the sea back in it's original form with plastic fish on strings, I want it done the way they did it at DL with computer generated characters swimming outside your window. There are some things that are cool because they are old (like Steam Trains), but Disney can't leave the rides unchanged forever. I wish Disney were a little more aggressive with their ride updates. I love what they did with HM and Pirates and I didn't loose any of the nostaligia associated with riding these attractions as a child.

Melanie
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I think this post highlights the constant struggle Disney must deal with. Nostalgia vs. modern relevence. Back when I first visited WDW as a child in the mid 70's, small world was a pretty cool ride and that is probably the main reason I enjoy it as an adult (nostalgia). However, I don't think my kids will have the same feeling about this ride when they are adults. While the message of the ride is still great, they struggle to get past the dated technology and just don't care for the ride. I think rides need to evolve so that new generations will continue to be excited about them. I don't want 20k leagues under the sea back in it's original form with plastic fish on strings, I want it done the way they did it at DL with computer generated characters swimming outside your window. There are some things that are cool because they are old (like Steam Trains), but Disney can't leave the rides unchanged forever. I wish Disney were a little more aggressive with their ride updates. I love what they did with HM and Pirates and I didn't loose any of the nostaligia associated with riding these attractions as a child.

I completely agree with your assessment!!

Aggie97
02-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Very well put -- I agree!! :mickey:

goofy78
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
:offtopic:

what were the changes to the boat ride in mexico?

bwk99
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
the best change they could make is to provide headphones so I don't have to listen to that song 95 times on the ride

TheVBs
02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
I definitely understand the position Disney is in regarding nostalgia vs. updates. But, I have to say, my children don't need any connection to a movie to enjoy this ride. They are mesmerized every time we go on it. Now, saying that, I have to add that they'd probably love spotting Stitch on it. ;) But, they certainly don't need anything added to enjoy it, nor do they perceive it as outdated technology (yet).

biodtl
02-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't mind adding the characters quite as much, but changing the song would be awful.

Polynesian Dweller
02-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Very well put! IASW actually dates to the 1964 World's Fair where I first saw it as a kid and without much change. The outside facade at DL is close to what the original looked like.

goofy78
02-14-2009, 04:30 AM
it is definitely a hard line to draw between maintaining the original ride and updating it without losing its appeal. i agree with updating and doing away with some rides but it has to be controlled. if it gets way out of hand then some great things will be lost.

i enjoyed watching the adventures of mr. toad as a child and loved riding mr. toad's wild ride. my daughter (4) loves watching mr. toad now and when we take her next year for her first trip ever to WDW she will not get to experience the ride.

i am glad they still have peter pan's flight and i enjoy it still to this day, however, i think it is very outdated in its design. but think about it, as a small child you didn't look at the design you looked at the ride and thought that you were flying through neverland. only as you got older did you realize that you were hanging from the cieling and looking at very tiny painted characters below. and for all you grown ups out there pixie dust will make you fly!

to a 30 year old flaws are easily spotted but when you add a simplistic design with a 5 year old imagination, well let's just say that things can get pretty magical.

i know i may be rambling here but it has got to be a hard balance in keeping the old vs. updating to new. i gripe and moan that some things are different, such as not having horizons anymore, but i enjoy mission space and think that it is a great ride even though it replaced a classic. but please bring back the oranges!

i will keep putting my :twocents: in on some of the changes that are made throughout the parks as to whether or not i like them personally but the bottom line is this, as long as my family can make each trip as enjoyable and memorable as the last then i am ok with it. :mickey:

Mickey91
02-15-2009, 12:19 AM
I think it is ashame that Disney feels the need to cram their movies down our throat at every turn. I already own them all. I don't need to see them in every ride at Disney World.

Uncle Walt is turning over in his grave. As frequently as this has been happening, I believe he is getting a bit queasy.

Meteora
02-15-2009, 12:33 PM
I think it is ashame that Disney feels the need to cram their movies down our throat at every turn. I already own them all. I don't need to see them in every ride at Disney World.

But to play devil's advocate, you are in Disney world. A lot of people expect to see Disney represented in the parks and enjoy it. And there are still plenty of rides in the MK that don't feature Disney movies. I don't have a problem with IASW, but the only reason I keep going back is that the line is short every time I'm there. I can be there in the dead of Christmas week at 2 pm, and the line will be less than 10 minutes.