PDA

View Full Version : Marathoning at WDW

jonahbear2006
02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I am determined to do the marathon and half marathon at wdw, next Jan. Has anyone done this before? I went to the link that someone else provided and read the information on it. I just wondered other logistics such as how busy are the parks that week, are hotel rooms lower end prices or higher, what are the refreshments and entertainment like, goody bags, all the details. Any extra information would be grand!

Genie1953
02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I have never heard of this. What is it exactly and when is it?

joanna71985
02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I would like to know too, as I am going to be doing the Half Marathon in Jan.

Melanie
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Here is the official page on the WDW Marathon Weekend (http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/events/eventDetail/detail?name=WdwMarathonDetailPage).

My husband did the Goofy Challenge 3 years ago. Have you already signed up? I'd not wait too long, as the races fill up rather quickly. The Goofy Race and a Half Challenge is now at 75% capacity, according to the website.

We stayed at the resort the week after Marathon weekend, and it was heavenly. Crowds were low. Things started picking up around Thursday afternoon as Martin Luther King weekend approached.

TinkerbellT421
02-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Believe it or not, a lot of marathoners just come for the marathon weekend. It was super busy marathon weekend. But as the week progressed it got really slow. And we left the friday before MLK weekend so I dont know how it was then.

irish1967
02-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I've been down to WDW from Thurs - Tues over marathon weekend in 2008, 2009 and am already registered for the half marathon for 2010.

Random thoughts -

Crowd wise - really isn't that bad (we usually hit WDW in July so that is what I am comparing to) We've definitely skipped attractions because of long stand-by waits and when FPs were available (Soarin' for example) but were also able to ride ToT twice in a row and then jump over to RnRC and wait less than 20 minutes in the middle of the afternoon.

Race thoughts -

Goody bags - fairly typical - the shirt was a long sleeved shirt with the half marathon logo and the sponsors on the back. We got a Cigna Towel, a sharpie marker and a mini-Clif bar. I've only done one other half marathon other than the WDW ones, and the goody bag was pretty much the same at that one.

Refreshments - on the course they had 9 (I think) water/Power Ade stops as well as one Clif shot :ack: stop toward the end of the race (mile 9 or 10 maybe) After the race they had muffins, bananas, water, pop, etc.

I can't comment on the entertainment - I tend to focus inward before and during the race.

Transportation is wonderful - Disney moves ALOT of people that weekend - it means an early start (we left our room for the bus at 3:20 a.m.)

It is a huge race - the number of people participating is staggering. We walk the course (around 15:15 pace or so) and are always surrounded by people.

There is nothing like going through the castle as part of the route or seeing the EPCOT ball at the end.

I assume that since you are planning to do both races that you are a serious marathoner. However, if not, know that they (race officials, I mean) are serious about the pacing requirements. They definitely sweep people off the course if the pacing requirement isn't being met.

It is a race that has a good reputation. My brother said that many of his marathoning friends from around the country have commented positively on the race (my brother is a serious marathoner - he travels around the country to various marathons and is planning to do the Goofy in 2011 or 2012)

I can't comment on the accommodations prices - my walking partner and her DH (who both do the half marathon) are DVC owners and allow me to come along for the ride :mickey:

I'll post more if I think of anything! But, if you are thinking about it, I whole heartedly recommend that you go ahead and do it!

crazyred11588
04-02-2009, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=jonahbear2006;1825816]I am determined to do the marathon and half marathon at wdw, next Jan. Has anyone done this before? QUOTE]
I have not done the marathon before either, but my mom and I are determined that this is the year. I've got quite a bit of work to do still yet but I'm going to do it!