PDA

View Full Version : I can't part with Fisher Price Loving Family!

murphy1
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
When my oldest who is almost 10 was 1 and 1/2, I bought the FP Loving Family Dollhouse and room sets (this was in 2000 I think at Christmas). All three of my kids have played with it and I have bought other sets for the house. It is sooo cute!!! It is the only toy they have that I just can't seem to part with! You can't even buy the stuff we have anymore, they have updated it a couple of times. I think I will just keep it all :D

SBETigg
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I know how you feel! My daughter had one, probably an older version, and I sold it along with my son's Adventure Castle and I regret it to this day. I kept the Adventure Pirate Ship, pulled it from my MIL's garage sale at the last minute and I'm so glad I did. I loved those toys as much as my kids did, and I still get the ship and pirates out and look at it now and then. :blush: Keep it for the eventual grandkids or whatever, but my advice is to not let it go.

I also sold a Disney Halloween costume, Marie the cat, and the woman who bought it, after she bought it, told me how she was going to cut the head off it and just make it a romper and I really died a little inside. I wanted to rip it from her hands and tell her she was not worthy! At least the guy who bought the castle was using it to stage an elaborate engagement proposal, which warmed my heart a little. I'm a sentimental fool, and a now-unrepentant pack rat.

murphy1
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I love you, Sherri!!!! :)

And John has these dumb empty beer cans stashed in his parents basement, so I guess I can keep this, right?? Your Marie the Cat story reminds me of what Sid from Toy Story did to dolls! Yikes!

VWL Mom
02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Mine boys are 13 and 17 and we still have the pirate ship and castle. The other keeper was their Thomas the Tank Engine sets. When they were little I would always complain about the men being all over and now I can't bring myself to part with them.

PirateLover
02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I have every fisher prince/playskool playsets from when I was little. There's the parking garage, zoo, pool, school house, cash register. I also have my ginormous Talk 'N Play and all my books and tape cassettes to go with it ("Grover says DON'T PUSH THE RED BUTTON!"). Hopefully one day my kids will enjoy these things. If they don't, I guess then I'll finally get rid of them!

PirateLover
02-04-2009, 05:35 PM
One toy I wish I still had somewhere was my "My Pet Monster." I have no clue what happened to it, I don't even remember particularly liking it but now I think they are so funny looking! We have a tape of that Christmas, I was 3 or 4 and my brother was about 8. He had just gotten a Nintendo Entertainment System, but when I opened up the monster he said "She got a My Pet Monster?? She's so lucky!!!!!"

sleepingbooty
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh - definitely keep it! Thing how much fun you'll have playing with it with grandkids someday (okay, sounds like that's pretty far off, but still).

I am the opposite of a pack rat - I get rid of everything. And... half the time, I regret it later. I just don't have the room to keep too much. But my girls LOVE playing with the old toys of mine and my brother that my mom kept from when we were little!

Magic Smiles
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I have 1 DS who is almost 17 and a basement FULL of toys. I can't part with hardly anything. Fisher Price, Tonka Trunks, the list could go on for pages. Put it this way, only child, only grandchild.
As my Mother passed away in Nov, I am now in the process of cleaning out her house.......came across a bunch of my old toys. Now what do I do with them? And of course all of her letters and cards from way back to before she married my father.
I need another house to store everything in!:mickey:

JPL
02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I have boxes full of my old toys stored in the attic. Not as many as I wish I still had but a nice little collection :thumbsup:

Disneyatic
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
My mom never kept anything of ours and I really wish that she would have, especially my Care Bears and My Little Pony Castle.
I did uncover my brother's Millenium Falcon awhile back, my nephew LOVES playing with it!
I have tried to really think about what I get rid of and keep for my daughter, she is 9.
My best friend's mom kept almost every toy she ever owned I think! We were looking through the attic and it was amazing!

About a year ago we finally updated DD's bookshelf and packed away all of her "little books"....We did keep her absolute favorites though :blush:
I got tired of moving the box around and decided to get rid of the books, we sold them to a book store and got a little bit of $ but nothing major.
I SOOO regret that, every time I think about it, I almost want to cry. Even though we kept the special ones, I really wish I would have just kept them all.

I think having the toys to look back on later is a great memory!

merlinmagic4
02-05-2009, 08:00 AM
I kept a lot of my oldest son's toys: Brio train set, fisher price rescue heroes, little people sets, matchbox cars, firetrucks, etc. and I was so glad I did when our third came along nine years after my first! All of his toys come from the attic :secret:

I did sell my daughter's Loving Family sets/house but I will save things like her American Girl dolls, barbies, etc.

Definitely keep it :thumbsup:

DixieBelle
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
This is a nice thread. :thumbsup:
My son is 13 and although he is too old for a lot of his toys I decided to keep some of the special ones. We have his stick horse, books, a marble drop building set,
Lincoln Logs, Brio train set, and his pirates Island in the attic. I also have a whole cedar chest of toys that I will end up getting rid of.
One thing I have noticed is that out of the toys that we have chosen to keep none of them are electronic. Now if I could just decide what to do with all of those Beanie Babies? :blush:

MNNHFLTX
02-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Nothing wrong with hanging onto a few toys. I have kept a few key (and classic) toys and books (definitely books!) from my son's early childhood. I figure that they'll be handy to have on hand and will bring back nice memories down the road when I have grandchildren. :)

murphy1
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Cool, you all convinced me I am keeping it! I have also kept a lot of outfits that are special I made for them, most of them smocked.

Magic Smiles
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Now if I could just decide what to do with all of those Beanie Babies? :blush:

Too funny! We have over 3 storage bins FULL of Beanie Babies. Not small storage bins either.

kakn7294
02-06-2009, 12:33 AM
I have an entire room in my house known as the "Room of Doom" because it's basically a 10' X 10' closet. It's so hard to part with their stuff so I kept most of it and tossed it into this room. I really do have to clean it out...

merlinmagic4
02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Nothing wrong with hanging onto a few toys. I have kept a few key (and classic) toys and books (definitely books!) from my son's early childhood. I figure that they'll be handy to have on hand and will bring back nice memories down the road when I have grandchildren. :)

I save all of my books, too! Actually, the reason I saved all of the things was for my grandchildren. Now they'll go back in the attic again after my littlest is done with them :thumbsup: I do wish I had some of my childhood toys, too!

SBETigg
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Cool, you all convinced me I am keeping it! I have also kept a lot of outfits that are special I made for them, most of them smocked.

Of course you must keep the outfits! I hope there was never any question of that. You'll never be sorry for keeping these treasures, but you might be sorry if you didn't hang on to them. Good choice! :thumbsup:

beksy
02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Our attic is full of my old toys and books (I'm a bookworm so we're talking hundreds of books) that my parents can't bear to part with. Mom's always been the sentimental one and Dad told her to clean out some stuff. She got a lot of my old clothes that were still in good shape together for the salvation army. Dad took the box and brought it back half full with a reason for each outfit that we "had" to keep it. One was because I had my first school picture taken in it. Now he can't say anything about the rest of us being packrats! :zipped:

DixieBelle
02-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Dad took the box and brought it back half full with a reason for each outfit that we "had" to keep it. One was because I had my first school picture taken in it. Now he can't say anything about the rest of us being packrats! :zipped:

That is too funny. I wish that my husband felt that way about all of the stuff that I want to keep. lol :)

murphy1
02-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Okay, school pix funny, b/c there is a bunch of us on Facebook that are passing pics around back to grade school (this is 35 years ago!) and I have people thanking me for posting them.

Sherri, thanks for that! :) I am also in process of making each of my girls a special quilt from their mom and also making my grandma who met grandpa at Pearl Harbor an authentic Hawaiian quilt. She sent me a book on Hawaiian quilts and I'm trying to make it for her when I see her this Spring.