PDA

View Full Version : Le Cellier vs Coral Reef

crltkcagle
02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
We are only in Epcot for one day and I have to pick on resturant. Would you choose Le Cellier or Coral Reef? Give me the pro's and con's please. THANKS!

TinkerbellT421
02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Well it personally it depends on how you are with your tastes. Coral Reef is an awesome atmosphere especially if you can get a seat right up next to the tank. Their menu has always been superb. I have no complaints about their food what so ever. However, they have different types of dishes that might not be in the taste of everyone. If you like experimenting with sea food you may never had before this is the place you want. Mahi Mahi, Grooper, all different types of fish and sea foods...They have some "usual" sea food, and chicken dishes that are pretty common. But I would try this place to go outside of the typical realm of what you can get anywhere. But all-in-all one of my favorites. I have never had any problems. Some people had bad food there and wrote it off. So you will find many different opinions. But in any of my experiences there I always go outside of my typical realm and get adventorous here with the food and try things I would never try anywhere else (IE the grooper dish I had in January...PHEW so yummy!!!!!!!!).
LeCellier on the other hand. Basic steaks and such that you can find anywhere. HOWEVER, In my opinion, its one of the best steaks I ever had. The Sirloin with Mushroom Risotto...Oh my! SO YUMMY I am getting hungry just thinking about...I think Im drooling a little. Some people dont think its as great as some of us make it out to be. But I do think it is by far the best steak I have ever had...atleast when it comes to eating in a restaurant that fits our budget. I have never had bad service, bad food, or cranky people here. Some people have. I really have no cons about either. But honestly, your best bet, would be Coral Reef because it might be the only place you can get into. LeCellier is mostly booked all the time. Even if you try to make ADR's 90 days in advance the chances are, it will be booked. Hope this helps. Either one is a good choice. :D

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-04-2009, 10:47 AM
DH and I ended up at Coral Reef after finding Le Cellier booked for our trip last week. (Reservations made in early December.)

We LOVED it!!! My New York Strip was DELICIOUS and hubby's fish dish was the best he had all week. It is our new favorite at all of WDW.

Crow
02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
hmmm
I think Le Cellier is a tad overated. Its small & had to get an ADR. Havent really had any bad food. the atmosphere is sorta like a cellar, castle or wine type. the pretzel bread sticks are good.
Coral Reef has the fish tank. Id give the nod to atmosphere here.
food wasnt too bad.
I agree it depends on your mood, meat or fish. although you can get meat at CR

SBETigg
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I've had a terrible experience at Coral Reef and would never go back. If you check reviews, there are people who love it and people who hate it, rarely reactions in the middle. I think Coral Reef may have a problem with being consistent in food and service-- but great atmosphere.

Le Cellier tends to be a bit too hyped, to me, but the thing they have going for them is that they are fairly consistent in food and service. You rarely read about a bad meal at Le Cellier. For this reason, I would choose Le Cellier.

Luv Eeyore
02-04-2009, 12:32 PM
We've been to both and prefer Le Cellier. DH is a huge seafood lover and has been disappointed each time we've gone to Coral Reef. The atmosphere is nice, but even the aquarium gets old after a while, and we've never had anything but very slow service there.

Disney1977
02-04-2009, 12:32 PM
We ate at Coral Reef last week and will never go back.

First the service was terrible. Next the portions were small. And lastly it was the only restaurant that the chef did not come out and speak with my husband about his food allergy.

Sorry, but they will not be getting our business again.

TinkerbellT421
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
:(Hmm very strange. Sorry to hear you had bad service there. Did you try calling Disney or emailing them and maybe putting in a complaint? Disney restraunts are usual pretty good with trying to accomodate peoples food allergies.

See this is it, Coral Reef has very mixed reviews because unfortunately it doesnt seem like they are very consistent.

For example; I didnt want to not like the Grooper but I wanted to try it too. We were on the dining plan and I was freaking out about trying the Grooper or not. After explaining all of these concerns with the waiter (I explained how the fish freaks me out to begin with with the big lips lol :blush:) He smiled and laughed with me and DBF about how I was out of my world with not being able to order something with Alfredo sauce from the menu (they have no alfredo dishes). He laughed and told me that if I did not like it he would be more than willing to take and back and get me something else. I was in complete shock by that because first we were on the dinning plan which would mean I would not be paying out of pocket for an extra meal which I explained to him I did not want to do, which he completely understood, and I told him how I wanted to try it but I was just scared I wouldnt like it and didnt want to go to bed hungry! lol! And he offered to me that if I didnt like it he would take it back no problem, with no cost to us.

SO in short my point is unfortunately the service seems to be very inconsistent which is very disheartening.

crltkcagle
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Well we are from New Orleans so we love seafood! I highly doubt that Coral Reef has anything like we are used to eating when it comes to seafood. I have read mixed reviews about both places. I am on the fence not sure what to do yet. Thanks for all the replies.

jcvalenti
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
On our last trip to Epcot, we ate at both Le Celier (Which I have dined at 5 prior times), and Coral Reef, which we visited for the first time at my mother-in-law's request.

There is another thread here about how Le Celier compares to other steak houses, so I already gave my review of it, but in a nutshell, I think Le Celier is average to below average. It is usually an enjoyable night, but I've had much better steaks at much better prices in my life.

The Coral Reef, though, was a great surprise for me. Admittedly, I was not expecting much. I had not heard many raves about it, and I despise sea food. So my expectations were low. But I was very surprised at how good my meal was. I had a NY Strip that was substantially better than the filet I had five nights prior at Le Celier. The Wine List at Coral Reef was both more diverse and much more reasonably priced than at Le Celier, and featured some excellent Napa Cabs at a relatively modest (for Disney) markup.

Our service at both locations was energetic and fun, but our waiter at Coral Reef was exceptional.

Overall, I give the nod to Coral Reef in all respects: Better atmosphere, better food, better prices, and better service. Maybe I'm just burnt out on Le Celier, but in the five times I've been there since 2004, it's standards seem steadily on the decline.

If I was only choosing one place to eat, I'd go with Coral Reef (and in fact, that's where we made our ADRs this time around).

Charlee
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Personally this is a very difficult question for me as on our June trip we will be doing both!
I loved Le Cellier, the food was great, the steaks were delicious and the Chocolate "moose" was one of the tastiest and cutest desserts I'd ever had!

However, for some reason I prefer the Coral Reef, the past two trips we have had excellent service (this was both at lunch time) and have not had any problem with the food. Granted none of us eat seafood - we go for the strip steak or the pork chop but we really enjoyed it.

I think it is the atmosphere that wins out as well as the desserts - the Chocolate Wave and the key lime tart were our fave's!

TinkerbellT421
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Well we are from New Orleans so we love seafood! I highly doubt that Coral Reef has anything like we are used to eating when it comes to seafood. I have read mixed reviews about both places. I am on the fence not sure what to do yet. Thanks for all the replies.

I completely understand, however, I also am very very picky with sea food. Being from New England I can never find sea food that even compares to the sea food we have had here at home with fresh fish just caught off the dock. BUT I can say, the ok Coral Reef doesnt have the "best" sea food I have ever had. I have never found it to be anything other than delicious. It is very comparable. (Mind you in my opinion)

GoofyGirl18
02-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I would definitely say Le Cellier. Our meals there were outstanding. I haven't eaten at Coral Reef, but haven't heard many rave reviews about it.

crltkcagle
02-05-2009, 10:05 AM
thanks for all your help guys!;)

DisneyGlutton
02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Maybe you've decided already, but I have to chime in. Both are good, but there is nothing at either place that you couldn't get at a decent restaurant back home.

But do you have a restaurant at home with a several million gallon fish tank that you can view while eating? I doubt it. For that reason, I'd vote for Coral Reef (and btw, they have an excellent chicken breast there, so you don't just have to get seafood). Le Cellier is a cramped dungeon atmosphere-wise.

LudwigVonDrake
02-08-2009, 10:33 AM
One is seafood and the other is steaks. Depends on what you're in the mood for. I'm usually in the mood for both :D

jcvalenti
02-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Well, not entirely. Coral Reef obviously features sea food, but they have other options on the menu too ... always a chicken and a beef dish.

The NY Strip I had at Coral Reef last visit was exceptional, and another at my table had the chicken (don't remember how it was prepared) and they loved it.

Laughin' place
02-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I have always liked Le Cellier, and was once a fan of Coral Reef.
I think Coral Reef went down hill sharply once the DDP came into being ( I generally like the DDP and always use it, so Im not a DDP hater).
Before, CR was expensive, and therefore had fewer of the baby, toddler, little child crowd). SInce more of the younger guests started to dine there, it has become LOUD, and a little on the unkempt side (its looked dull and dirty last couple of visits).
I have also found the food quality to be erratic, but never great. The tank makes for great atmosphere, but I think the consistent good food and service at Le Cellier makes it a much safer choice

goofy78
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
maybe not fair for me to post to this question as i have not been to le cellier. however, i have been to coral reef many times. i see you are from new orleans. i am from not too far away in houston where we get fresh seafood, especially in galveston (lived there for 3 years and ate some of the best that comes from the gulf). although i cannot say that coral reef is as good as cleaning a fish right out of the surf and frying it up immediately, it is still a great restaurant in my opinion. good food, and great atmosphere with the tank right in front of you. as i have not been to le cellier i cannot say that coral reef is better, but i will say that you should find it to your liking. i am making it a point to make it to le cellier on my next trip and hope that it is as good as all the reviews on it!

Natazu
02-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I love both places and have never had a bad meal at either. I'd say just decide which menu appeals to you and your family the most.