PDA

View Full Version : Joaquin Phoenix

Melanie
02-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Okay, I guess I'm stooping to celebrity gossiping, but I can't help but think "what the heck?" with this dude. He seems a little off from what I see.

Mickey'sGirl
02-04-2009, 08:30 AM
He's a wingnut for sure....but I still love him. I think it's just a stunt with Casey Affleck .... It will be interesting to see what happens. Have you seen any of his performances? I don't think I'd be purchasing the CDs!

SBETigg
02-04-2009, 10:49 AM
He's a wingnut for sure....but I still love him. I think it's just a stunt with Casey Affleck .... It will be interesting to see what happens. Have you seen any of his performances? I don't think I'd be purchasing the CDs!

I haven't seen the performances, but I agree that I think they're fooling with us. We'll see what happens. Joaquin's an amazing actor, but he has always seemed a little odd.

PirateLover
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I would like to think this is all a joke. Who knows. For those who are unfamiliar with the crazy goings-on, Joaquin "retired," developed a Grizzly Adams look, and claims to be cocentrating on "music" aka terrible rapping. There's a video of him trying to rap at a club and he falls off the stage.

He just released this statement:"There's not a hoax. Might I be ridiculous? Might my career in music be laughable? Yeah, that's possible, but that's certainly not my intention. I had a lot of dudes come up and say, `We really respect you for doing it, putting yourself out there, and going with it. Because I think true hip-hop heads know that it's hard, it's going to be a hard transition, and people are going to be lining up just to make fun of me.":confused:

MNNHFLTX
02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I know what you mean--he has always been a little out there. But I have a hard time believing that he is doing all this as a publicity stunt--it just doesn't go along with his personality.

moodringer10
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
he shoulve stayed an actor..he needs to shave..hopefully his rapping is good if hes really into it

Sunshine1010
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
He's a great actor.

Maybe he just wants to take a break from acting.

My husband is 44 and wants to change careers. Is HE crazy? (other than what I think...he he)

PirateLover
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
My husband is 44 and wants to change careers. Is HE crazy? (other than what I think...he he)

If he decided he wanted to become a terrible, middle-aged white rapper? Then...yeah... I'd probably say he was crazy ;)

jrkcr
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
When I first heard he was giving up acting to sing, I thought "wow, he really liked his role as Johnny Cash!"

From what I've seen and heard :ack: More like a combo of ZZ Top and Vanilla Ice!

Which is why we have the saying "Don't give up your day job!". But then everyone has to follow their dream...

Disneyatic
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I think he is a fabulous actor and when he's cleaned up, he is so cute but....he's always been a bit on the "odd" side, his whole family has that free spirit, living in a compound vibe.......
So I can actually believe that he woke up one day and decided to drop acting totally and try to be a rapper. If ever there was a guy with an "artist temperment" he's the one.

LittleSpirit02
02-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I hadn't heard about any of this until reading this thread. Of course - natural curiosity got to me and I went on YouTube to watch his rapping and an interview where he makes the announcement and then Casey Affleck is interviewed shortly after.

I have to say - the interviews are pretty fishy. Definitely something... shall we say - not right there? The way Casey tried to dodge the questions and leave right away makes me think this is either a stunt or its something to cover up for something else.

wildernesslady
02-07-2009, 04:18 PM
We were in Vegas in club Lavo the night of his rapping career. Completely by accident. Yikes it was as bad as shown. Such a shame. We love his acting and what a cutie he was.

LauraleeH
02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
When I heard he was giving up acting to sing, I thought to myself, "Who cares?!" This guy is a nobody to me, he's just another lunatic that happens to be a celebrity.

Kenny1113
02-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Anybody see him on Letterman last night? Talk about uncomfortable. What is he doing?

TheDuckRocks
02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
OMG!!! I just saw the clip from the David Letterman show on MSN. I think that Joaquin has many more problems than just a bad career change. I all can think about is his brother River and how sad it was when he died so young from a drug overdose. From what I've seen and read these 2 young men had a very strange family life and not very good parenting. Personally I'm going to be saying a little prayer for Joaquin that he is not going down the same path as his brother. JMO but Letterman should be ashamed with the way he handled that whole interview. Could he not see that this is a very troubled young man and maybe a little compassion should have been called for? If nothing else he should have cut the srgment short and gone onto something other.

NotaGeek
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
OMG!!! I just saw the clip from the David Letterman show on MSN. I think that Joaquin has many more problems than just a bad career change. I all can think about is his brother River and how sad it was when he died so young from a drug overdose. From what I've seen and read these 2 young men had a very strange family life and not very good parenting. Personally I'm going to be saying a little prayer for Joaquin that he is not going down the same path as his brother. JMO but Letterman should be ashamed with the way he handled that whole interview. Could he not see that this is a very troubled young man and maybe a little compassion should have been called for? If nothing else he should have cut the srgment short and gone onto something other.
Compassion? In Hollywood?

There is no way that Joaquin is getting all this publicity without someone behind the machine ... he has people. He's a grown man ... if he's going on National TV whacked out, David Letterman has every right to do his interview ... David has a job too, and he has to keep up ratings. I don't feel sorry for him ... he's gotten progressively stranger, I hope for the best but to be honest, I never even consider him or any other celebrity when I dole our my daily pixie dust. That's reserved for people I actually know. :soapbox:

DizneyRox
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Who? Bah, nevermind, I couldn't care less...

LittleSpirit02
02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Yikes. That interview was beyond awkward - it was just downright uncomfortable. I don't think Letterman did a bad job actually. When he first had the pause... he was looking around a lot almost like he was looking for a cue from someone as to whether or they might be cutting. He tried to be encouraging saying his work was fantastic, his voice sounded great in Walk the Line and he hopes he reconsiders his "retirement." The "That seems unlikely" may have been a little unnecessary but otherwise, I think he was just dealing with an odd situation.

DisneyLandMomma
02-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I just watched a clip. WOW...Joaquin Phoenix was really out of it wasn't he...YIKES!!
Personally, I thought David Letterman was hilarous. I love his show. He had every right to handle the situation they way he did, that's what he does.

diz_girl
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, he's already been in rehab once (for alcohol), so he may be off the wagon. As for being a little messed up, he was the one who made the 911 call when he was out with his brother, River, when River collapsed and died outside the Viper Room.

LauraleeH
02-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I watched the 10 minute clip and the first 5 minutes I thought that it was all a joke. The dude is gone. I'm still not completely sure this isn't all a hoax, but WHY? There's no reason for him to act like that, unless he is partly gone and partly trying to be funny.

LittleSpirit02
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I just rewatched the interview and noticed two things:

1) When Dave comments on Joaquin's gum, he sticks it on Dave's desk but as soon as they cut to the movie clip, he takes it off...

2) After the interview is done, when he shakes Dave's hand - he takes his sunglasses off...

These two things lead me to think it MIGHT be some sort of stunt? I guess I kinda hope it is just for the sake of his health and sanity...

Melanie
02-13-2009, 04:20 AM
After watching the Letterman appearance, I'm convinced it's a hoax. For what reason he'd do this, I don't know, but I definitely think he's playing a character.

MNNHFLTX
02-13-2009, 12:17 PM
After watching the Letterman appearance, I'm convinced it's a hoax. For what reason he'd do this, I don't know, but I definitely think he's playing a character.
I agree with you, Mel. He was too much of a train wreck on the show for it to be real, and I think David Letterman was in on it.

SBETigg
02-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree with you, Mel. He was too much of a train wreck on the show for it to be real, and I think David Letterman was in on it.

I agree with you both. Phoenix benefits from the hoax by getting extra publicity for his current movie as well as for the documentary Casey Affleck is shooting of Phoenix's hip hop transformation, which could increase the likelihood of a distribution deal for the doumentary as well as increase the money offered for it. And more people seeing Phoenix's current film, Two Lovers, means he becomes a bigger box office draw and worth more money on the market. Also, by saying he has quit acting, this means people might flock to see his "last performance."

Letterman benefits from the extra publicity as well. Everyone is talking about it and then more people start watching Letterman hoping for more wackiness to ensue. It's a win-win for all parties involved, except maybe for the viewers who worry about Phoenix, find Letterman rude, or feel they're being had.

wendy*darling
02-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I completely agree as well.
There's the tiniest of a "twinkle" in his eyes when Dave gets a good laugh. Joaquin looks like he's trying to hold it together and stay in character.
I knew nothing about his retirement or rapping career- I am very much out of the "celebrity news loop"- but I saw the clip on The View and to me- he was "acting" as well as ever!

LauraleeH
02-14-2009, 12:57 AM
I hope he's ok for his sake...but if it is a joke, I hope it ruins his career.