PDA

View Full Version : GAC Questions

Babyvett
02-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Had a few quick questions regarding the Guest Assistance Card.

We'll be traveling in Sept with DS and DD (2 and 1 at time of trip). DS has Osteogenesis Imperfecta as well as characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorder. We have an evaluation of his being Spectrum as done by Early Diagnosis for his referral for special ed.

Questions:
What exactly is the GAC, do i bring this evaluation with me to prove Garrett's disability and is it worth doing? Also, for people who have used it before, what is the general reaction from other guests? I don't want to subject Garrett to longer lines then necessary if its possibly to spare him, but, I also don't want people harassing us because he "looks normal".

Mickey'sGirl
02-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Honestly -- don't even think about what other people are thinking (a good habit to take on if your son is ASD). If you feel a GAC will make your trip better, and that your son will be able to handle things better because of it, then you should use it. That said, we have two autistic sons and have never had to use the GAC....YET. We have been able to manage waits and such using Fastpasses and EMH hours. We also go often enough, that bypassing a huge queue for "now" is rarely an issue, 'cause they know that we can go back another time. Someone who has used a GAC will be along with more specifics.

But, honestly, ASD is not usually an apparent disorder, and you will ALWAYS get those judging looks everywhere you go, by people who don't have a clue. Learn to ignore them and concentrate on your children...and develop a thick skin. I hope you have a fabulous time at Disney with your family. It is the best place in the world if you do need assistance! :mickey:

jusandnew
02-03-2009, 09:16 AM
I have a son who has been dx with asperger's syndrome-autism spectrum. Standing in lines, being around alot of people all at once, noise, too much going on bothers him. He can be great then he may have a meltdown.
He looks "normal" I do not care what people think. If they want to deal with the behaviors and the meltdowns they can.
We took him last year and he was having a meltdown. We had to hold to keep him from running. people complained to the security at the hotel. The hotel did not speak to us, but asked him and my other kids if they were ok.
People do not understand about our kids because they look like any other child.

I think the GAC is great.

Hayden's Dad
02-03-2009, 09:44 AM
My advice would be to get the GAC, but only use it if you need it. You do not need a note from your doctor guest services won't even look at it. As a previous poster said if it makes your child's trip more magical then use it. Usually they will put you through the fastpass entrance or an "alternate" entrance to help with some of the line. It does not mean you get to go to the front of the line but it can help with some of it. We never got any rude comments or dirty looks, granted I wasn't looking for them either, and although my son didn't have autism his condition didn't show itself on the outside so he looked like any normal little two and three year old just in a bigger stroller. Don't worry about other people this is your vacation and a time for your families dreams and wishes to come true. Have fun!!! :mickey:

LarryBoy
02-06-2009, 08:21 AM
The GAC has been a lifesaver for us.My DS is now 8 and is high functioning ASD. The average person may not even know that there is anything different about him. People without children on the spectrum have no idea how hard waiting in a long line can be for as child with ASD. It's not just the wait, it can be the smells, the crowd, the temperature, the lighting, the noises. The GAC allows you to expose your child to some of this but to still have a good time, to survive. We have to make most of our trips in the summer, because our son has been in school since 3.5 (receiving services). We couldn't survive the summer heat and crowds without the GAC and the awesome hotel pools. WDW provides is so beneficial to our autistic child in so many ways. Get the card and you use it whenever you feel you need to.

Greenlawler
02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Curious about this. This is the first time I have heard about it. I know that "Downs" is not a highly difficult thing to deal with, but I do know stading in line with some "downs" children could be hard, especially since we have two other small children. What exactly are the qualifictions for the GAC I assume it stands for Guest Assistance Card?

Briansmom
02-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Also, for people who have used it before, what is the general reaction from other guests? I don't want to subject Garrett to longer lines then necessary if its possibly to spare him, but, I also don't want people harassing us because he "looks normal".

Last May, we were 'first timers' with our special DS10. He has autism and dev delays. I too was a little concerned about perception, etc, but then I realized that what we as parents of these special children experience every day of our lives is a rewarding albeit hard 'job'. Since our children do not have things as easy as typical children, we look for ways to ease the load for them. Look at the GAC as one of these ways. Our children deserve to experience the magic others do and since they live their lives in a different way, it stands to reason they will experience the magic in a different way.

We had an absolute fantastic time and you need to use the GAC when you need to....I really don't think people even noticed most of the time, But I really wasn't paying too much attention to them.....I was too busy enjoying the pure joy on my DS face! :cloud9:

Curious about this. This is the first time I have heard about it. I know that "Downs" is not a highly difficult thing to deal with, but I do know stading in line with some "downs" children could be hard, especially since we have two other small children. What exactly are the qualifictions for the GAC I assume it stands for Guest Assistance Card?
If you or anyone in your party has a condition that standing in lines, etc, will aggravate, then you need the Guest Assistance Card.

HulaMinnie
02-15-2009, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE][The GAC has been a lifesaver for us.My DS is now 8 and is high functioning ASD. The average person may not even know that there is anything different about him. People without children on the spectrum have no idea how hard waiting in a long line can be for as child with ASD. It's not just the wait, it can be the smells, the crowd, the temperature, the lighting, the noises. The GAC allows you to expose your child to some of this but to still have a good time, to survive. We have to make most of our trips in the summer, because our son has been in school since 3.5 (receiving services). We couldn't survive the summer heat and crowds without the GAC and the awesome hotel pools. WDW provides is so beneficial to our autistic child in so many ways. Get the card and you use it whenever you feel you need to. /QUOTE]

Couldn't have explained it any better, LarryBoy. Our DS5 also has high functioning ASD and the GAC has made all the difference for us as well. The only times we have ever received looks from anyone at WDW was when waiting in lines with DS before we knew about the GAC. CMs have always been very gracious when we have requested the card, and if other people were giving us dirty looks, I wouldn't have noticed - as Briansmom said - I've been too caught up in watching my kids having fun.

To the OP, please don't give it a second thought. Go and enjoy.

Babyvett
02-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the advice and information. I'm still debating whether I'm going to bring Garrett on this trip or not (as its suppose to be a late honeymoon for me and DH) but if we do bring him and his sister, I will definatly be looking into this. Garrett is communication delayed (28 months and doesnt talk) as well as spectrum and so he gets frustrated really easy and throws severe fits. If i can ease waiting in lines for him, then it would be better for him and everyone else around LOL

Thanks again :)

Nini5055
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
A few things to add...(my daughter 7 is high functioning as well)...she still has meltdowns, I try to keep regular eating schedule, I also schedule time in the pool (it is her JOY!!!) every single night, I make sure to describe rides well in advance (we were just going over some rides last night at bedtime for our May trip!), if she is not comfortable with a ride she thought she would be...we take the escape route (it has happened), I am not commando and don't insist on seeing everything. She prefers the 3D shows over the "real" shows, I rent a double stroller at the parks for the duration of our stay...it gives her a little respite from seeing so much of everything all the time (like a little cubby). I give attention to her as needed...she is very affectionate sometimes and very hands off other times. We do character meals to avoid "meet & greets" unexpectedly in the parks (lack of advance notice does not work well with her).

You know your child and their needs...don't worry about other people, they can take care of themselves. Enjoy your time with your child...it is priceless!!! :mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Questions:
What exactly is the GAC, do i bring this evaluation with me to prove Garrett's disability and is it worth doing? Also, for people who have used it before, what is the general reaction from other guests? I don't want to subject Garrett to longer lines then necessary if its possibly to spare him, but, I also don't want people harassing us because he "looks normal".

The gac is a card that lets the cm know that you have a reason why you need to bypass the normal line. They have different symbols they put on it depending on your situation. The line they make you go to is usually the Fast pass line but sometimes they have a special handicap entrance that they take you through. I have never had any problems with other guest or ever had any times when it drew attention to us by using it. It is a small card that you just show the first cm at the ride or show and they show you where you are to enter at. Most of the time I don't think the other guest even knew what we were doing. It's very discreet.
We have used one for the last 2 years when we have visited wdw. I had to get one to use for both my father and my mother because they both have health problems. They both look "normal or healthy" but have problems that cause them a lot of pain. My father has rheumatoid arthritis And a part of his spine is fused together due to another condition And with both of those conditions it causes mobility issues so he can't go through the regular line for rides that having moving walkways because it is hard for him to move fast enough to get to the ride safely.So they take us to a special area of the ride where they can stop the ride and walkway till he boards, And at the end of the ride they stop it again so he can get off. He also has a skin disease vitiligo and can't stand in the sun long. My mother has a pacemaker and gets tired when standing in long lines, And she also has a condition and shouldn't stand in the sun long.
We have never had a problem getting a GAC. I have never brought a letter from a Dr. I just tell the cm about the different health problems they both have. And the issue me one.

Hope you all have a magical time :tink: