PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with 1 day and $160?

Goofy Texan
02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
We're planning a trip in June to the dark side (Universal Studios). We were just at Disney World last June (2008). I have $160 Visa Disney Reward Dollars saved up. If we get done with Universal early we may end up at Disney for one day.

My question is, if you have $160 to spend, it's just you and a 15 year-old daughter, you were at Disney just a year ago for 10 days, and you have 3/4 to 1 day to spend there again. What would you do? Go to a park? Water park? Play mini-golf or rent something? The only rule is, it can't be anything that requires a non-refundable reservation.

What would you do? Thanks!

Grumpy Dude's Girl
02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
If it us, we would do a water park or DTD.:mickey:

CaptSmee
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I'd go to probably MK

goofy78
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
well if it were me i would end up spending more and going to each park if i were already that close to WDW. it would frustrate me if i were only able to go to one park and only for a short amount of time so if i had to make it short and sweet i would go rent a water sprite for a bit, go to one of my favorite restaurants and go for some ice cream in downtown disney along with some shopping. after that, i would spend the money and go to all the parks. ha ha, no i am not addicted to WDW :secret:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
02-02-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd save the $160 for next year and let it build up to even more.

DisneyGlutton
02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Assuming you can manage some self control, lol...I would pick your favorite park and really thoroughly enjoy it, and do things there you normally don't have enough time for or rush through. For me, that would probably be Epcot since I always breeze through World Showcase. Alternatively, you could cover the park you like least/have done the least at and also do new things and try to bring a fresh perspective to it. For me, that would be going to Hollywood Studios, which I mostly consider a big waste.

However, if we think beyond parks, you could do something awesome like go mini-golfing (or that Disney Quest thing) and then enjoy a nice sit down meal as a bit of a splurge at somewhere like California Grill to catch Wishes or Flying Fish just for the food.

LarryBoy
02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I would have to go to a park, either MK or Epcot. I would let my DS decide or your DD in your case. If the $160 is not for tickets then I would also have a nice meal. Since you've been recently don't try and do everything. Relax, enjoy yourself. Just ride and see your favorite things. Walk around take in the sights.

yourmagicalguide
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
...you could do something awesome like go mini-golfing (or that Disney Quest thing) and then enjoy a nice sit down meal as a bit of a splurge at somewhere like California Grill to catch Wishes or Flying Fish just for the food.

I have to agree with this advice and recommend that you choose a restaurant to splurge at (California Grill would be a great choice - especially during the MK fireworks, but eating there can take up a good amount of time). You can print-off some menus from restaurants you've never been to before and let your daughter decide. Based on her decision, you could end up spending the day at, say, Epcot because she wants to have dinner at the Coral Reef or at Magic Kingdom because she wants to experience a character buffet at the Crystal Palace.

Ask your DD her opinions to see what options you can plan for the day. If she wants to relax after a few days at Universal, maybe taking a trip to one of the Disney water parks during the day and then shopping at Downtown Disney would be something she would really like.

The sky's the limit :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
How about asking DD what she wants to do. Since it looks like a girls night out, maybe dinner some place you wouldn't normally go (some place fancy?) and a movie the 2 of you want to see. Or would she prefer coasters and every ride/show you can squeeze in? This sounds like you could have as much fun planning as doing. Good Luck! :mickey:

Goofy Texan
02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies. There are some good ideas here. The $160 would have to include the price of park tickets ($140 for the two of us) leaving $20 for park spending. We're not foodies by any means. Some of the menus at the fancier restaurants scare me.

As of now I think we'll keep two options open since we won't know what we'll be in the mood for:

1. Hit 1 park and explore it throughly
or
2. Work our way around the resort doing all the stuff we never do such as mini golf, boat rental, hotel touring, etc. We won't have reservations, so it will be hit or miss on what's available.

If we do go, I'll wait and hit Downtown Disney to add my reward dollars to the card so there isn't any pressure to go. Who knows, we may have fun playing on the dark side!

Thanks for all the help.

DisneyAggies
02-03-2009, 03:40 PM
If we do go, I'll wait and hit Downtown Disney to add my reward dollars to the card so there isn't any pressure to go. Who knows, we may have fun playing on the dark side!

Thanks for all the help.

Just as an FYI--you don't have to actually go to DTD to load the points onto your pre-existing card. If you have a cell phone, you can just call the number on the back of the rewards card and load the points on. :cool:

Marymouse2003
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
What about some nice Spa Treatments over @ GF. Not sure how much $$ that wld be, but that might be nice for a teen & Mom treat. Enjoy!

SBETigg
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I would get the most of going to MK (or your favorite other park). You should probably price out things like renting boats and spa treatments because you may find the cost is more than you anticipate, and she's too young to rent her own boat. Is she going to love riding around with you driving? Not sure. Downtown Disney is an okay day of shopping, but it pales in comparison to the parks, to me. My bottom line: I can eat anywhere, minigolf anywhere, shop anywhere, spa anywhere-- but I can't ride Pirates of the Caribbean (or insert other favorite ride) anywhere else.

crltkcagle
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I would go to MK!

wire0monkey
02-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I would go to Epcot. Window shop in the World Showcase. Eat at Le Cellier. Ride some rides, including Soarin' . Wait for Illuminations.

Coaster_Chick!
02-07-2009, 10:07 PM
if it was me i would probapley go 2 DTDs arcade! its so much fun and something the whole family can enjoy doing! WOOP WOOP!:mickey:

goofy78
02-08-2009, 03:01 AM
hey coaster_chick! :welcome: to intercot!

Bret92
02-08-2009, 06:12 AM
I would definitely have to say, go to your favorite park, especially if you do not know the next time you will be around, I know that for me, one year is already plenty of time to miss WDW, find out how your DD feels about even more time away from favorite rides and whatnot

Coaster_Chick!
02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
thank-u goofy78!!that was a very nice thing 4 u 2 do!! :mickey:

TINKinTX
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
What about just having mom/daughter time and do the afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian hotel. My husband took me there for my bday and it was fun....lots of moms and daughters. They gave me a rose and a crown for my bday. Loved the food.....the sandwiches and pastries. It's something you don't do everyday and might make for a great memory. Take lots of photos.

Goofy Texan
02-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the additional suggestions. We did our first long trip last June (10 days) and we had our fill of the parks by the end of it. I know there are people here that go all the time but I don't want the parks to get old. I still have that "been there, did it all" feeling that I left with after the last trip. We usually go every 3 years and it usually takes that long for me to really miss the place (and Disney usually has something new by then to further entice me).

We're doing Universal this summer because I want something new and I'll be down in Florida anyway visiting my daughter who's in the Navy. But being 12 miles from Disney and having $160 free dollars burning a hole in my pocket, I feel we should do something. I also don't think we can spend 4 full days at Universal, and I don't want to spend anymore real money. My first thought is to spend the day at the Magic Kingdom, but Space Mountain is our favorite ride there, and not getting to ride it would be sad.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. All of them are good (except maybe the tea one. I asked my daughter about that and she nearly :ack: ! Evidently she's not the princess and tea type, but thanks for the suggestion.) :thumbsup: