PDA

View Full Version : Poly or GF?

leighe
02-02-2009, 02:57 PM
We have a trip planned and have booked a standard garden view at the Poly. We are now considering taking DH's cousin (a senior in high school) with us to help with our two girls (3 and 18 months). I thought I had read before that the GF has the largest standard rooms on property? Does anyone know if that is correct? I was thinking if we add another person to the room any extra space will be appreciated. Also - I know the Poly doesn't have a hot tub and we were hoping that if Amie will watch the girls in the room a couple of nights we might be able to sneak out and have an adult beverage or two and maybe take a dip? Any suggestions? Is it worth switching just for a hot tub and a few extra feet?

MNNHFLTX
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Actually the Polynesian rooms (404 sq ft) are pretty much the same size as the Grand Floridian (403 sq ft). The Contemporary Resort has the largest standard rooms at 437 sq ft.

Personally I like the theming and ambience of the Polynesian better. Guests at the Poly can always take a short walk to use the hot tub at the spa at the GF (free of charge for Poly guests). But if having it in the near vicinity is important to you than the GF would be the way to go.

mouseketeer mom
02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
The Polynesian is our favorite resort...but my DH always points out the lack of a hot tub. I don't understand why they don't have one either. Room sizes between the two resorts that your choosing from are so close, that can't be the deciding factor. Sooo..if a hot tub is important, and its important that it is at your resort and not a neighboring one, the GF is the way to go.

Pirate Granny
02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I actually don't think it's a short walk...more like 10-15 to get to the hot tub at the GF. The pool is open there 24-7 which is a bonus...but I never have enough energy to take a 15 minute walk after the hot tub...and the walk in one part (between the Lula and the Wedding pavillion is pretty dark)...We've done the walk, but not to get to the hot tub...just to take a stroll, and we took the boat back from the GF to the Poly...not sure if I would want to wait in my bathsuit (even with a coverup)...I vote for the GF...although if you don't need the soak, the beach at the Poly is beautiful at night and you can bring your 'adult' drink down there, watch the fireworks or watch each other.
:pirate:

Septbride2002
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Another vote for the Grand Floridian!

~Amanda

TammiMcMan
02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
The GF's hot tub is for their guests only. The only option for those staying at the Poly is to the use the health club facilities. Unfortunately, if you're looking for romance though, that's not the best option because it's not a co-ed hot tub.

KatMark
02-02-2009, 04:17 PM
We've only stayed at the Poly (and have no desire at all to stay at the GF). We loved the Poly as did our kids and our oldest son's girlfriend at the time.

SBETigg
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I really love the GF, but the Poly is a close second. They're both wonderful. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the hot tub. While it is great for a soak, the only time I had it all to myself was in the wee hours of the morning. In the afternoon and evenings, it is loaded with guests including kids hopping in and out-- not romantic. Plus, you really can't relax with a beverage in there. But, the Courtyard Pool at the GF is lovely for adults, less populated than the beach pool with the waterfall, and there's nothing like a soak in the hot tub after a day at the park, even if you can't get it all to yourself. There's bench seating and warm water jets
at one end of the volcano pool that, while not quite on par with a hot tub, do the trick to relax the muscles a bit.

Both resorts have great lounges, depends on what you prefer. The GF has more options with Narcoossee's bar and Mizner's lounge, both great places to grab a drink and some adult time. Both resorts have great pool bar areas. Also, I love the shopping at the GF. But the Tambu lounge at the Poly, while not as intimate, is a fun place for a libation. The two resorts are close enough that you can enjoy going between the two and trying out the different lounges. Do you want a lush, tropical atmosphere or would you prefer relaxed elegance? This is what I would base my final decision on, and not just on the issue of amenities.

javamama
02-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I vote Poly

gaffz70
02-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Just to add a little more confusion...I was comparing the 2 b/c we are bringing mt mom..I really want to go to the Poly but the vanity/sink area is inside the BR at the poly whereas it is outside the BR at GF which I think would make it easier for a party of 5 to get ready.....I'm still going to go to the poly and just deal

Ropachs
02-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm voting Poly. As previously stated, room sizes are the same basically. We like the theming at Poly so much more than the GF and you can walk to the TTC. And sorry, but hotel hot tubs, yuck :sick: