PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Chair or EVC

pna
02-01-2009, 08:55 PM
My husband ruptured his Achilles Tendon, broke his ankle, and hurt his knee in an accident in December. Our week in Orlando had been planned months ahead. He is on crutches with very little weight bearing. We are in our early 60's. I am in good shape, as is he, when not injured. We originally thought a wheel chair would be fine. Others tell us I can't push him around the parks all day, we need an Electric Cart. Those of you with experience, please give us some advice. Thanks ahead for your help.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I would get an ECV.

I was very surprised at how much effort it took to push a wheelchair, the ground isn't nearly as flat as you'd think.

As well as the lack of pushing required, the ECV will allow your husband to look around himself, instead of having to be pushed everywhere.

Renting from Disney is very expensive, we last rented from an off-site company and it was much cheaper, plus my Mom could use it as the resort, not just in the park

pna
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
We will be at a time share. If you rent off site, how portable are they? Are they heavy? I would be responsible for loading and unloading it at each park. Are the rental places close to any of the parks?

disneydeb
02-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Some models can be broken down and loaded into your car.

Good Luck!

beksy
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I would definitely go with the ECV. Our family always seemed to be having surguries or something before trips when I was growing up and I still have the image of Dad struggling to push that wheelchair all day for whoever was injured that trip! By the end of the day he was exhausted (and grumpy) and the person in the wheelchair felt guilty for his having to do it. I think an ECV would work out much better for both of you.

dlpmikki
02-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I think if you are offsite a wheelchair may be easier to transport. It's pretty easy to get a chair in and out of a car but an ECV is going to be a lot heavier and awkward even if it does come apart.

peemagg
02-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Rent an ECV!

If you can find one that rents travel scooters, they will break down easier. They aren't bad for breaking down and putting in a car trunk. My Mom who is 65 can do it without much of a struggle.