PDA

View Full Version : Bday party ideas for 6 yr old girl?

minnie-mouse
02-01-2009, 07:56 AM
My DD will be 6 in a few months (May) and wants to invite both boys and girls to her party. Our house is too small to have the party here, any suggestions for party ideas for kids this age?

tinklover
02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
NOt sure where in md you are. I am in Salisbury pt time and we had our daughter's birthday just a week ago in west Ocean City, md at teh frances scott key resort . they have an indoor themed pool . it was great. if that is to far away how about a party at build-a-bear or something similar? what about a skating party? Or a bowling party?

deedeenmickey
02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
The Mcdonald's in our area does bday parties also there's chuck e cheese. My daughter used to love horses so we had hers at a local horse farm. Also the movie theaters do parties sometimes. Try zoos as well.

mouseketeer mom
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Local salons are good for girls..but I don't think that would work in your case, if you are having boys too...
How about a pizza place and bringing in a magician or something? Most places have a room or a section of the restaurant to be used for a party, and we've been to one that brought in a magician. He was great. He did science experiment type magic.
Gymnastics parties are fun for both girls and boys of that age too. Check out a local school or gym for that.
Some bakeries offer birthday parties where the kids decorate cookies or small cakes.
Pottery places are fun too.
Hope my ideas help!

Georgesgirl1
02-01-2009, 11:55 AM
I teach pre-k and lots of my students have parties at gyms like My Gym or places that have Moonwalk type things like Monkey Joes (I'm not sure sure if those places are specific to the Atlanta area, but you could Google them to see what they are like). These go over great for both boys and girls.

My brother had a bowling party when we were little and it was tons of fun. They put the bumpers up so everyone could get a good score, and I am sure now bowling alleys would probably even do black lights and music for a party (I know the one near my house does).

Good luck planning the party and happy birthday to your daughter!

Magic Smiles
02-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Our local grocery store (Loblaws Superstore) has an area for parties. The kids make their own pizza crust, pizza and then decorate their own cupcakes. Great fun for both girls and boys.

wdw_bound
02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
We had DDs 5th birthday at a nearby nature center, complete with a hike and presentation (age appropriate) from a staff member of the center. Then the kids decorated small plant pots and then planted a flower in them (I purchased a flat of something pretty but cheap from the local nursery), which served as their take-home gift. Then, we ended the party with a picnic meal of chicken tender, assorted veggies, cake and jello jigglers (couldn't keep icecream frozen for an outdoor party in August...). I think it was one of the best parties we've hosted.

thrillme
02-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm gathering that you don't want the party at your house.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. McDonalds often does a pretty reasonably priced and fun party for the 6 year old range. They burn off a TON of energy. For my son's 5th we did the McDonalds thing then had a small barbeque at home with the grandparents (the grandparents did NOT do kids parties).

If you have a "pump it up" in your area this is a blast too (has 2 rooms full of moon bouncers).

Pizza places are kinda fun (ie Chucky Cheese) but...I find the kids go through their tokens FAST then they come begging for more. I prefer any place where the kids can release energy.

DixieBelle
02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
I prefer any place where the kids can release energy.

I agree, think moon walk or climbing structures. Where we live one of the gyms have
a childrens area that is very popular for kids parties. :trampo:

disneyfan328
02-02-2009, 11:08 AM
If you have a craft place like Michaels they do parties for birthdays. They usually make something like a keepsake box or canvas bag, birdhouse or something. Since the kids decorate it themselves and all of the supplies are there they can make it boyish or girlish.

we have also had luck renting a small hall near where we live very reasonable and letting them play games, or make a small craft, karoke ect and then order pizza.

If you have a YMCA or YWCA they do parties in either their gym or pool that can be fun and pretty cost effective. We also have a roller skating rink that does parities also.

If you have a build a bear workshop they do parties to.

Bowling parities and mini golf (we have indoor and outdoor places) also go over pretty big in our area. If you have a museum or science center they usually also do parties as does our zoo. It reallly all depends on how much you want to spend :mickey:

minnie-mouse
02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions! You guys are great. The closest My Gym we have is about 10 miles up the highway, is that asking a lot of people to travel that far for a birthday party?

Ian
02-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I'd suggest a gym party. They are really popular, relatively inexpensive, and they're really good for the kids in terms of keeping them active.

wdw_bound
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
word to the wise on the inflatable play structure places. We just had one for DS (4), and it was wonderful. However, we dropped a ton on it, and I'm not really sure I'd do it again for that reason. The party rental alone was $235, and then you have to buy their pizza (which is Dominoes), at $13 per large one-topping. We did bring our own juice and cake, but you can't bring in other outside food.

I will say it was nice to have a private party, and the staff took care of everything, including serving the food and keeping the list for thank you notes.

Veezy
02-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I'd say check out the horse farms.........we had a great field trip there in PK once, pony rides, watching how they cared for horses, and apple picking in the orchard........we brought Happy Meals for lunch.

But then, it's mild here in the outdoors at this time of year, and I didn't notice where you were.

LittleRoosMommy
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Not sure what area of MD your are in, but what about a playground or park. The weather is usually really nice here by May. If you do this, you could get a clown, magician, or balloon artist to entertain. Or just let the kids play on the playground for awhile and then do some organized games. Another idea is my gym, little gym, funfit. Or see if you can rent a club room or hall locally. There is always, chuck-e-cheese or build-a-bear as well. What about an indoor pool? That might be fun as well.

thrillme
02-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Can I say one thing about bowling parties for 6 year olds. A lot of this probably "depends on the 6 year old and his/her guests" but I went to one where the kids were between 4-6. The boy and his little sister LOVED to bowl with his family. If they're all in the 6-7 range that might be old enough.

HOWEVER... several of the kids had a hard time with the ball (be sure the bowling alley has plenty of 6 lb balls) and then unfortunately they had 10-15 kids at the party and split them between two lanes. This was rough on some of them because they had a hard time waiting their turn (it was a "party" and they were all very energetic). Especially when we had to walk down the alley and rescue a few balls that stopped before they got to the pins.

Alas...by they time they hit 8-9...they had a BLAST at the bowling parties...the older they get the more they LOVE the competition.

moodringer10
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
what about doing it at a park ..and that way theres a playground for the kids to play in

pixiesmimi
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
We had a birthday party yesterday for my DGD who was 6. One of DD's friends had started doing parties for children. She set up a tea party atmosphere but since there were boys and girls coming, she did a Pirates and Princess Party where they did the girls' hair and nails and they had tons of costumes, hats, boas for them to dress up in. For the boys there was pirate headgear, swords, etc. The kids ran and played and had a ball. We did a Pinata and they loved that. We have done Chunky Cheese, Kids' Kastle (which is the same) and they love that but it is very noisy and chaotic because of all the other parties going on at the same time. We have also done the zoo where they have a pavilion for the cake and gifts and then everyone just went their own way to see the animals. Parks with pavilions and play equipment is also great. Kids that age love to run and scream and just have a lot of fun so you really don't have to entertain them much. They didn't even want the cake and ice cream yesterday. They just wanted to open the gifts and then run and scream some more. :)

d_m_n_n
02-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions! You guys are great. The closest My Gym we have is about 10 miles up the highway, is that asking a lot of people to travel that far for a birthday party?

I would not think twice about having to drive 10 miles for a birthday party! :D

Tick-Tock
02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Just came home from a 4-year-old's party at a gym (gymnastics/bouncy houses/kid's zip line). Lots of kids ages 2-7 there, both boys and girls, and they all had a blast!