PDA

View Full Version : Are non-autistic guests having trouble getting GAC now?

KatGat
01-31-2009, 12:51 PM
I was just wondering if less people are able to get the GAC since they've kind of gotten more strict with it. It seems many non-autistic park guests (such as cancer and dialysis patients) are told by guest services to get a wheelchair instead of the GAC. Is that what others are finding? My husband got a GAC last year, but is concerned that they won't issue him one this year. Anyone been recently and experienced this either way?

Granny Jill A
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
What exactly is a GAC?

ElenitaB
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Jill, GAC stands for Guest Assistance Card.

Granny Jill A
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Jill, GAC stands for Guest Assistance Card.

Sorry, I hit send before I was finished asking about the card. :blush:

I meant to ask what services does the GAC entitle the holder to? I don't know anything about the card, so I'm hoping you can fill me in. Thanks!

Renfairwedding
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I requested a card being I have a tough time walking standing for long and had very little problem obtaining one (I did bring a note from my doc just incase but never asked to show it.)

I found in motorized wheelchair I was never asked to show my GAC except for the Hunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean rides in the Magic Kingdom. Once I presented the card I was shown the door.... well the short cut door. I did have to wait a bit but I would have had to do the same if I was on the line.

Disney CM's are great and very helpful but if the CM refuses your request but you feel you really need the card ask nicely to see a supervisor and I bet they will take care the problem ASAP.

Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:

Now to actually help answer you question...

What I needed was and received was stamped endorsements for a waiting place out of the sun, and help in the shortest way from the line to the rides (not in the time waiting). I received a card with stamps showing such.
I understand Disney would be a little reluctant as some do abuse the privilege. One person I bumped into told me how she convinced the CM to basically give her a card with all the endorsements and used it to cut the lines were possible. I don't recommend that and people like that don't help the people in true need.

Call the park and I am sure one of the CM's can help answer all your questions and help assist you in all the GAC options and how to obtain the card you need.

And please if any one knows more please reply

OK,,, now I am done. :whew:

KatGat
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Just back and we had no problem getting the card! The CM at guest relations was very nice. It made us nervous last year that the guy seemingly begrudgingly gave us one. It made the trip not just bearable, but enjoyable! We only had one incident at Haunted Mansion where my husband and 2 of our children were going to go in while I waited with our youngest son. The CM got a bit frustrated and continued to tell us that the whole point of the card was to help the person with the issues, etc....I tried stopping her, but she wouldn't listen to a word I said. When she was done, I told her that she mistakenly assumed that the card was for my young son, when it was actually for my husband. She just threw her hands up and said 'go ahead'..as if she were making an exception for us or something. It was fine, though. Perhaps next time she'll be careful about making assumptions based on people's appearances. :blush:

agravette
04-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I, too, have been nervous about asking for extra help. I have lupus and have difficulty walking a lot because of fatigue and arthritis. I'm not sure whether or not to get an ECV, regular wheelchair, or what. Just knowing that others are out there with the same difficulties helps me so much. Thanks for all the great tips and support.:mickey:

handmaidenofprincesses
04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
It was fine, though. Perhaps next time she'll be careful about making assumptions based on people's appearances. :blush:

This is one of the things that worries me as we attempt to (think about *maybe*) planning a Disney trip for my niece. As many of you know, she's been very ill for the past year or so and would definitely need the GAC if we were to go. However, she looks perfectly healthy upon first glance, if not a bit thin (but that may just be me knowing how she used to look). I'm afraid she wouldn't be able to deal with it well if a CM or another guest was nasty to her over the use of the GAC because they thought she didn't really need it.

jimsgal05
04-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Hello to all of you, I feel your pain, my daughter has kidney dis and looks normal .So when she was little we would have problems in general not just Disney....with comments"oh she doesn't look sick or wow she is really fat for her age"....She was on chemo and Prelone which made her gain weight , she was 4 yrs old-6yrs old.

I would say to the person "It must be nice too have a healthy child be greatful for what you have and don't judge what you don't understand...... I say it nicely with a calm voice and a smile and I say if you have a questions about MCD FSGF I will be happy to aswer them..... "

By then they are stund and saying sorry for not knowing and I say have a enjoyable day and smile and my daughter smiles and says Bye to them.

Don't let other people make you or your family feel guilty for useing the CARD if you have a medical problem or a child that has special needs. That is why Disney has the card in the 1st place.

You can always use the comment" I rather be in that long line with you instead of having an illness"
my friend used that recently...
she recieved a "oh I am sorry to hear that" And they blushed of embarassment

This Sept we are going and using the card for my daughter...:mickey: i know we will have a good time.

best wishes and may you all enjoy Disney on your terms not someone eles...;)