PDA

View Full Version : Your input on a big project

Mendelson
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Though I don't think this is supposed to be kept a particularly big secret, I'm going to speak about this in somewhat general terms just for the sake of appropriateness.

Some folks at Pixar are kicking around the idea of how to get involved in programs regarding science, math, engineering, and technology (SMET) education - they have decided this is an important area of intervention. I will stress that there is no guarantee that this is an area where they will get involved - companies are watching their wallets, after all - and I have not sat in any internal meetings and so far have only met with one Pixar person.... but it's being discussed. Don't hold me to anything!

My organization is involved with them in lending some ideas of how to engage young people in regards to SMET. We have been brainstorming what sort of things they can do... so I thought I would present this to the Intercot folks out here.

Most of you have kids in K-12, you all know Pixar and WDW inside and out.... lay some ideas on me: big and small, inside and outside the box, of what Pixar can do in this area. It can be formal (writing a textbook), simple and low effort (partnering with an existing show like Bill Nye), grandiose (a theme park devoted to SMET)...or bizarre. You tell me. Anything particularly unique that we haven't kicked around yet I'll pass on to them.

And for a disclaimer - no ideas used will be attributed to you for any recognition or compensation!

SBETigg
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
I think it would be great for kids to hear about/get to see what goes on at Pixar. Classroom visits and internship programs, or just visit the workplace for a day programs, would be great to inspire kids to work hard in those areas. I think kids are more willing to apply themselves when they see the end result of what they could do with their education.

DizneyRox
01-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Since Disney doesn't solicit ideas from the public, and go to great lengths to specifically discourage it, I'm not sure asking for input for ideas here is a good idea.

If it's documented here before it hits the meetings notes there, I'm sure there will be some sort of issue with using an outside idea.

Mendelson
01-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Okay...go ahead and pull it then.