PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Learning Disabilities?

merlinmagic4
01-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with learning disabilities. My son was just diagnosed with a significant visual perceptual learning disability (in the sixth grade). It's possibly even a nonverbal learning disorder, which encompasses a whole social aspect as well. I am truly wondering if he will succeed in public school. What kind of environment is best?

I have always been a huge advocate of public schools and we have a good system. However, my son is not succeeding and I think it is so important that a child experience success in school. He moves on to a 7/8 school next year that is likely to be completely overwhelming for him.

I have no one to turn to about this so I hope someone out there has some words of wisdom!

Tink2002
01-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Will he be seeing a speech-language pathologist or any other professionals to work with him on his condition? These are the people that you want to talk to, especially with speech, because they will be able to do an evaluation of your sons own unique abilities and then help you from there and discuss what environments would be best.

With this kind of a delay or disorder (not sure what it would fall under...) it's their job to help your son communicate in a way that makes him more likely to succeed and work with him on strategies for friends, etc.!

Good luck with everything! :D

merlinmagic4
01-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks :) Actually, the nonverbal learning disorder has nothing to do with speech (or at least not in our case) :confused: It's a set of learning difficulties that include having a hard time reading nonverbal cues from other people. He seems to be an "average" kid but is really struggling :( We're just at the beginning and I am wondering what I can do to help him succeed in school and in life!

Mickey'sGirl
01-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks :) Actually, the nonverbal learning disorder has nothing to do with speech (or at least not in our case) :confused: It's a set of learning difficulties that include having a hard time reading nonverbal cues from other people. He seems to be an "average" kid but is really struggling :( We're just at the beginning and I am wondering what I can do to help him succeed in school and in life!
Kelly, did they mention "Communication Disorder" or "Asperger's"? Both things include issues with not "getting" the non-verbal speech, language and learning cues. Both of my son's are autistic (Asperger's is part of the spectrum). We tried private schools with my older son, but he was too much of an effort for them, and he was asked to leave. So he was sent to our public school....and hence, our younger son has also just started at the same public school (in JK). I HONESTLY believe that with appropriate advocacy on your part, you will achieve the greatest success within the Public system....PROVIDED you are able to augment the education with some private instruction. This is the route we have taken with both of our children and they are having good success at school. It is a lot of work on our part, on our sons' parts and on the school's part. But we have a very open communication, and an extremely supportive set of educators at the school, which includes our private therapists and tutors, and we all want what will allow them to be the best they can be.

If you want to chat, drop me a PM. I am extremely enthused about this subject. :hug: for you and your family!

DizneyRox
01-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Did the school recommend seeing a doctor? Did they discuss next steps? Is this the first time is was brought up?

Around these parts teachers need to be very careful about what is said around parents, etc. They are NOT doctors and cannot diagnose problems. They may be able to tell, but to offer some sort of diagnosis is a big no-no. Once you have a diagnosis, they can usually work with that and figure out a plan.

Most of the time a public school is best. You should talk to the teachers and/or principal about what they can offer. Because of budgets and such, testing will probably be necessary so they can justify the expense, etc. But that's where you should start.

Seperate, private education may still be necessary, but before you just start paying for it, see what the public school system has to offer. It's your taxes at work!

crazypoohbear
01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Does you son have an IEP that gives instruction on what services he is to receive?
Does your school system offer someone who is "Qualified" to instruct him.?
If your school system does not have a qualified staff person or after a period of time you do not feel he is improving or getting the services he needs ( and it is written in his IEP) you can investigate private schools that can handle his type of disabiity. If you are a stong enough advocate for your son it would be your school systems responsibility to send him to a place that can provide him with the tools necessary to succeed in school and life.
I wish you the best of luck with your child.

merlinmagic4
01-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone! He has just been diagnosed after some basic testing and now they are going to do more testing to refine the diagnosis, I guess. They were originally looking at a 504 (because he has medical issues) but are holding off in case they decide to do an IEP. So, this is all very new.

Jen, they haven't looked into the NLD too deeply yet. I didn't fully report on all of our struggles with him because I figured it had nothing to do with school. However, the SPED chairperson gave me a booklet on NLD and it was my kid they were describing (on a more mild level but definitely there). They mentioned Aspergers and Oppositional Defiant Disorder and those are the two that I always questioned in him (again, on a mild level so never really looked into it).

DisneyRox, they did diagnose him with a visual perceptual learning disability. That came from the standard testing the educational psychologist did with him. It was fairly clear cut. I do believe I will have to enlist a private psychologist to help with the NLD. The man we had seen earlier this year is an ED.D so he should be helpful.

crazypoohbear, I can be a strong advocate if I need to be :) My husband and I are both teacher trained (he is actively teaching, I am not) so that is helpful.

Tink2002
01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Sounds like you are well on your way to figuring things out with a diagnosis that is so new! Remember that it will take time to learn more about his disability and narrow the diagnosis, and to place him in the best environment and set up a team of people to support him. You may actually find that you will work with a Speech-language pathologist since helping with nonverbal communiction issues (falls under something they call "pragmatics" but it really just means knowing the rules of communication and what is appropriate where, etc, how to react to people) I believe falls under the scope of practice.

You sound like very involved parents, so I wouldn't worry, you will do what is best for your son!!

Mickey'sGirl
01-30-2009, 03:32 PM
You may actually find that you will work with a Speech-language pathologist since helping with nonverbal communiction issues (falls under something they call "pragmatics" but it really just means knowing the rules of communication and what is appropriate where, etc, how to react to people) I believe falls under the scope of practice.Yep...both of my guys have been seeing Speech pathologists and therapists ( -- because of the communication piece as well as speech specific issues) since they were 3. Social stories are part of their weekly sessions.

murphy1
01-30-2009, 04:59 PM
My oldest finally got IEP for math and is now making A's in math, she's in grade 4. She also saw a speech path in K b/c she wouldn't talk in K. Just get your child any help you think he needs. We are so fortunate to be in a wonderful school district with great teachers and admin, but I have been a part of this team, as Kelly mentioned, you are your child's #1 advocate.

handmaidenofprincesses
02-07-2009, 02:02 PM
My cousin's son was diagnosed with a visual processing disability not too long ago.... I think it's technically called oculometer processing deficits, or something like that... but he is still in public school and, with help from his family, teachers, and doctors, is doing really well! His improvement has been amazing, actually. I'm sure your son will end up just the same once everything gets going in the right direction. Good luck! :pixie:

sportsguy2315
02-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Kelly, did they mention "Communication Disorder" or "Asperger's"? Both things include issues with not "getting" the non-verbal speech, language and learning cues. Both of my son's are autistic (Asperger's is part of the spectrum).

I have Asperger's and made it through 12 years in the public school. If you want the perspective of someone who lives with this disorder, feel free to PM me. :) Best of luck!

joanna71985
02-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I too have Asperger's, and was also in a public school from 1st-12th grade. It sure was a challenge at times.

Bethanymouse
02-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Alright, sounds like everyone on here has offered some great advice. Here is some advice from a school psychologist who sits on the Child Study Team, the team that will come up with an IEP if necessary.

First, get yourself a copy of PRISE= Parental Rights in Special Education. It will give you your rights a a parent who has a child in special education (if you go that route).

A 504 plan is derived from public law 504, which allows children with medical conditions to receive special modification and accomodations without special education.

An IEP is an individualized education plan, a special education program is designed specifically for your child taking into consideration his areas of weakness and disability as well as strengths.

Who has evaluated your child? If you feel your child needs special education services, you can write to the CST requesting an evaluation. This will begin the process to determine if he is eligible for special education. It sounds like you are on the right path to getting your child the help needed. If you have any questions feel free to PM me at any time.

HollyB
02-16-2009, 09:29 AM
People are giving you good advice. I just wanted to point out that different schools call their support different things. In our district, it is a Building Support Team (BST). It can be intimidating to go to your first BST meeting because there are so many staff people from your district there (often: Principal, OT, PT, Speech Therapist, Teacher, Social Worker, Psychologist, etc.) and you! My best advice is make them give you any paperwork (testing, etc.) on your kid before you go to the meeting. There is a lot of it and it's too much to digest in the half hour or so they schedule. That way you can go in with your questions and concerns and the meeting will be much more productive. At least in our district, however, you have to ask.

BTW, my son had an IEP for 4 years with the school district. By the middle of the third and all of the 4th, he was mostly on monitoring. He didn't need it at all for middle school and is doing great!

Good luck.