PDA

View Full Version : COmfort Zone for Marking Cats

thrillme
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Recently my cat has started marking. We've been spraying down the area and cleaning it well when we catch him...but...occasionally it'll pop up again . He's HEALTHY...I KNOW the problem is specifically because we introduced a new kitty (he picks different places...namely those where the other cat has rubbed...he rarely hits the same place twice). I will continue to clean if I have to because I dearly LOVE the little rascal. I could handle the problem if he stayed in one place but...he's definatly picking places the "enemy" picked (she's not spraying only rubbing)

I was at PETCO today and I saw a new product called Comfort Zone with Feliway for marking cats. The product is rather expensive...so I'm apprehensive...However the girl I was talking to says that she sells to a LOT of customers who Foster cats. It's got some "mixed" reviews on Amazon people saying it either works like a miracle or it doesn't do anything at all.

Anybody have any ideas.

Mickey91
01-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Has your cat been neutered? If not, this generally works. I have, however, heard of neutered cats still spraying, but it is fairly uncommon. I have never heard of the product you mentioned so I am of no help there. Good luck!

If you try the Comfort Zone, let me know how it works. Maybe it can get rid of my neighbor's 10 cats' need to use my front yard as their personal potty.:mad:

aapriputin
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
we had a horrible thing happen at our brand new home this fall when we shut the house up for winter weather -- the stove was leaking propane and poisoning my 3 cats, but it took a week to discover this -- my vet recommended the diffusers (before we knew why everyone was so incredibly vicious / agressive)... I LOVE them -- all three of my boys (neutered, 6 year old males) even love on the dispensers and I can tell a difference if I let them run out -- I also use the drops... not sure if we can recommend for a company or not, but http://catfaeries.com/feliway.html is wonderful!! Yes, expensive, but worth the money at our house!!!

RenDuran
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Thrillme, I feel for you! We had a cat that marked places in the house any time he saw a cat outside! I hope you find some relief with the feliway stuff!

DreaminofDisney24
01-30-2009, 03:11 PM
For cleanup I highly recommend Nature's Miracle...really helps with the odor. We have two cats, and the dominate one started to mark everything. He was stressed due to the introduction of our two puppies. We tried everything...plug-ins, sprays, new litterboxes, more litterboxes...we took him to the vet finally, and she agreed that we had been doing the right things. She gave us a prescription for kitty Prozac, and that eliminated a lot of the peeing. It calmed him down enough, with out having much effect on his loving personality. Nine months later he's almost completely weened off of the stuff, still has an accident once in awhile, and has started to play with the pups. I hope it doesn't go this far for you, but have no fear, there is light at the end of the tunnel! (And getting rid of Frodo was never, ever, ever an option! We love that furry little guy!)

DisneyDog
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I had a broken heart this time last year when a cat we adopted from the spca was marking and ruined 4 pieces of furniture (one was a very expensive leather sleeper sofa). We only had him for 2 months. He seemed to get along with my other cat (they would cuddle up together to sleep), but he wouldn't stop marking. I didn't want my other cat to start this horrible habit, and I have a little boy to consider. I didn't want him living around all of those germs, so we had to take him back. I cried my eyes out for days because I fell in love with the little guy. But, I did find out that he got a new home the next day. Now we have a dog and our cat, and everyone is very happy.

Oh, I didn't find anything that worked with the odors. The cat just kept marking. We got rid of the 3 pieces of furniture that he ruined, and I thought everything was going to be okay. But, then he started marking on furniture piece #4, and that's when I broke down and cried and made my DH take him back:( I had a bioclean company come out that same day to clean the carpets and sanitize.

thrillme
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Yep...the little demon is fixed. ALL three are. He is sooooo sweet, so loving and is loaded with personality. I got him fixed at a kitten before he even knew what to do with things.

He NEVER sprayed before. Alas we've had some "changes" in the last couple of years...got married and my DH brought over his GIRL cat. (He was a kitten with my old Mamma cat so there was never a problem). Now he's a little territorial. I KNOW this is the issue because when he sprays (fortunately it's not a WHOLE lot...) it's always places where she's rubbed and HE likes. One time he even sprayed me. He loved me, rubbed me, nuzzled, took a nap on me, nuzzled some more then turned around as if to jump off then ZAP. I had to break it to my husband that it was over between us...I belong to the cat now.

Yes we use Nature's Miracle. Great Stuff. The trick with it is to soak the area pretty good for the enzymes to take over.

I'm "thinking" this comfort zone may work because it's not a "HABIT" with him...it's really territorial anxiety. I've thought about the kitty prozac but I really don't want to "drug" him. GIRL is a very high strung cat...very nervous...she's adapting but it's taking a while. This stuff is supposed to help with that too.

Analyzing the comments that I've seen on Amazon...it looks like it works for behavorial "stresses" due to changes but not necessarily problems related to behavoir HABITS.

I'm going to check with Petco and see if about their "return" policy.

MNNHFLTX
01-30-2009, 05:11 PM
We have a neutered male cat that has had this problem on and off ever since we got him 12 years ago. I've used another similar Feliway product (can't remember the name) with very little success. In fact, there's been very little that does work, aside from restricting access to his "favored" spots. Also he and our other cat are sequestered in the laundry room at night (with their beds, food dishes and litter box, of course) to help with the behavior. And I put him in his litter box several times a day to encourage him to use it. Nevertheless, whenever he gets stressed it seems to pop up. All I can say is thank goodness for Nature's Miracle!

DisneyDog
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I checked the bottle of stuff I used on my furniture and carpet. Yup. It was feliway. It didn't work for us at all.