PDA

View Full Version : Tiki room fans look here

jclightchasr
01-29-2009, 03:07 PM
An older question I know but which do you prefer, older version like in DL or under new management?

I personally like the classic much better Iago's voice is just is too annoying.

Also does anyone know where to get an MP3 of the classic version's music? Preferrably in its entirety.

Ian
01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Uh ... to me it's not even a contest ... I hate the new one. I haven't gone in there in years.

There are tons of official Disney albums with the old Tiki Room song on them. Try Amazon (use the INTERCOT link, please!) ... you should be able to find a lot to choose from.

EeyoresBestFriend
01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I still love the original score and I do tolerate the new show, but find it to be rather obnoxious.:sick:
I don't mind the addition of the newer bird characters, but I think it could be toned down significantly . . .maybe more in keeping with the more tropical exotic theme??
It is still one of my favorite shows. I just don't think that the addition was given a great deal of thought before implemented and ended up being poorly done.:(
I still hold hope that they may rectify it someday . . . .:shake:

yourmagicalguide
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
An older question, I know, but which do you prefer, older version like in DL or under new management?

I personally like the classic much better Iago's voice is just is too annoying.

I couldn't agree more! I can't stand Iago's voice over an extended period of time, and visiting The Tiki Room after the remodel confirmed this for me. I couldn't believe what they had done to this attraction :rub:

My vote's definitely for the classic :mickey:

Pete Olsen
01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Love the new version. I don't mind when they update classic attractions. Someday they will change it again, maybe even back to the original. I think the "Under New Management" version was a very ingenious approach. I'm just glad they are keeping the classic attraction fresh.

GrmGrninGost
01-29-2009, 05:33 PM
The new show isn't terrible, but I prefer the original. :mickey:

CaptSmee
01-29-2009, 05:46 PM
I like 'em both. The new one is more entertaining to me, but the songs in the old are better..."let's go sing where the birdies sing..."

Tinkerbelly84
01-29-2009, 07:23 PM
I never got to see the older version. :( I like the new one but I guess that is because I have nothing to compare it to.

tiggerandpooh63
01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
We just saw the new version last week and felt it was a bit annoying and was missing some of the magic of the original. Not awful but we'll probably avoid in the future unless we're dying for a break from the heat!

Mammabruski
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I went to the new show for the first time this past November. When it started like the traditional, old-fashioned show, I was so happy, and then the "real" show began. I was so bummed. :( I do not like the new show.

DisneyNut2005
01-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Both versions of the show are great and very well done, but I tend to lean more towards the new one because the constant obsessing over the original by most Disney purists gets VERY annoying and continues to make me dislike the original more and more.

Also, a lot of you don't seem to comprehend that the original show was not being well-attended at WDW in its final years, so it HAD to be changed...or removed completely, which would've made you all just as furious anyway.

The DL locals are still "in love" with the original, but most of WDW's guests shunned it basically.

Let WDW keep the "New Management" and let DL keep the old show to make each version more unique. The old show is never coming back to WDW, so get used to it.

The majority of WDW's guests (including the "non-fanatics", who, BTW, are NOT stupid and do know what they want and do know the difference between a high-quality product and a low-quality one) love UNM. Most times when I go to it, the audience does laugh, enjoy it and get into the act...and they actually stay in the theater for the entire show, making the constant walk-outs that lead to the demise of the original show in WDW in the first place. If they did hate it as much as some foamers love to falsely claim, the new show most likely would've been gone by now. But the guest attendance counts DO fall in favor of UNM...and numbers don't lie!

I also think that it'd be wise to be more respectful of the Imagineers who created it, including the multi-talented and very funny Kevin Rafferty and WDI veteran Jeff Burke (who's previous attraction credits include Kitchen Kabaret and Phantom Manor, among others). Those two are HUGE Tiki fans and worked REALLY hard to save it from the wrecking ball in the 1990s. Therefore, I VERY highly recommend viewing the Extinct Attractions Club's DVD documentary about the history of WDW's Tiki Room, which is "required viewing", IMO, and may further your appreciation and respect for the "Under New Management".

And maybe if those of you who hate UNM would stop getting so bent out of shape and start realizing that it's really just a harmless parody with absolutely no disrespect intended at all, and develop more of a sense of humor, I think you'd be more likely to end up enjoying it and having a good time. :mickey:

Rant over.

Ian
01-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Also, a lot of you don't seem to comprehend that the original show was not being well-attended at WDW in its final years ... I'm going to ignore the rest of your post, but you really need to look up the word "condescending" in the dictionary.

While you're at it ... try looking up "tolerance" and "opinion" ... you clearly need to learn those two, as well.

DizNee143
01-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Both versions of the show are great and very well done, but I tend to lean more towards the new one because the constant obsessing over the original by most Disney purists gets VERY annoying and continues to make me dislike the original more and more.

Also, a lot of you don't seem to comprehend that the original show was not being well-attended at WDW in its final years, so it HAD to be changed...or removed completely, which would've made you all just as furious anyway.

The DL locals are still "in love" with the original, but most of WDW's guests shunned it basically.

Let WDW keep the "New Management" and let DL keep the old show to make each version more unique. The old show is never coming back to WDW, so get used to it.

The majority of WDW's guests (including the "non-fanatics", who, BTW, are NOT stupid and do know what they want and do know the difference between a high-quality product and a low-quality one) love UNM. Most times when I go to it, the audience does laugh, enjoy it and get into the act...and they actually stay in the theater for the entire show, making the constant walk-outs that lead to the demise of the original show in WDW in the first place. If they did hate it as much as some foamers love to falsely claim, the new show most likely would've been gone by now. But the guest attendance counts DO fall in favor of UNM...and numbers don't lie!

I also think that it'd be wise to be more respectful of the Imagineers who created it, including the multi-talented and very funny Kevin Rafferty and WDI veteran Jeff Burke (who's previous attraction credits include Kitchen Kabaret and Phantom Manor, among others). Those two are HUGE Tiki fans and worked REALLY hard to save it from the wrecking ball in the 1990s. Therefore, I VERY highly recommend viewing the Extinct Attractions Club's DVD documentary about the history of WDW's Tiki Room, which is "required viewing", IMO, and may further your appreciation and respect for the "Under New Management".

And maybe if those of you who hate UNM would stop getting so bent out of shape and start realizing that it's really just a harmless parody with absolutely no disrespect intended at all, and develop more of a sense of humor, I think you'd be more likely to end up enjoying it and having a good time. :mickey:

Rant over.

all i have to say to your post is W-O-W!
what were in your cornflakes the day you wrote this?

personally i liked the old/original waaay better..the newer one is alright..but like what a few other people said..iagos voice just gets soo annoying after alittle while...it just goes right through you..i wish they could just keep switching it up every few years..id love to have the original back!

caryrae
01-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Should it really be called "Under New Management" anymore since this version opened almost 11 years ago (April 1998)? lol

MNNHFLTX
01-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Moderator Warning--

The INTERCOT boards are for respectful discussion about every Disney World, including what people like or dislike about any given attraction. In keeping with that, let's refrain from lecturing or judging the validity of another poster's opinion.

DizneyRox
01-30-2009, 03:21 PM
How did I know THAT was coming...

I like Ian haven't been on in years. I can't say that I was on the old one much either. I do remember sitting through UNM and thinking that's it? It's over already? Wait, I'm actually being kicked out of here! I can't believe they kicked me out! Oh, hey, there's Aloha Island, maybe I'll stop and get a Dole Whip!

Haven't been back since... To the Tiki Room, not Aloha Island, that's a must see!

jclightchasr
01-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Disney Nut, no one including myself the one who started this thread is saying they hate the attraction. We are just stating which one we prefer new or old that's all. I have seen your posts in other areas and you have mentioned the "Disney Purists" previously. I have been on Intercot for years and this site is IMO full of purists like myself. We love Disney for it's originality and forward thinking as well. Most of us would prefer attractions to be updated and enhanced but not altogether changed. I like UNM I just prefer the older version with the singing flowers, the birds of paradise, the fire and water, the enchanted fountain in the center, the music and length of the show. Oh and the thunderstorm supposedly going on outside. I appreciated you tipping your hat to the UNM creators who I did not know the history on. It does give me greater appreciation. I fear however that this site will only disappoint you if you are looking to get your feelings across to us purists. First, on this site we are numerous, second we are passionate about what we like. I love Disney, old school and new, it is my favorite place to go and vacation. On classic rides sure Disney has to appeal to the masses and they have. I don't think they will bring back the original but the purists do have some weight...look at JIYIWF, they brought back Figment, and it was an improvement over version II.

jclightchasr
01-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Should it really be called "Under New Management" anymore since this version opened almost 11 years ago (April 1998)? lol

Very good point I was thinking that myself.

beksy
01-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Somehow we always missed the Tiki Room but I loved the original song I have on CD. I saw the "new" version and enjoyed it but I was disappointed that that song was no longer used. I can't really compare the two, but music-wise I think I'd go with the original.

handmaidenofprincesses
01-31-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't think the new version is really terrible, but like most of you, it seems, I preferred the original. It's not so much being a Disney purist as feeling that the original show itself was a stronger, better written one. This "new" one fails to impress.

The other thing I have noticed, and perhaps I just have bad luck, but wherever I sit I cannot see the 2 main birds (Iago and Zazu) throughout the whole show. I don't remember this being a problem with the original.

All that said, I wish that Disney could compromise a little and a least let the Tiki birds sing the entire "Tiki Room" song once before being cut off by Iago.

Vintage Disney
01-31-2009, 05:46 PM
I prefer the original. :mickey:
We try to visit Under New Management at least once each trip.

minnesotafreeze
02-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I prefer the UNM one. I think the new birds are funny and it is a great twist on the old version. :mickey:

Hull-onian
02-01-2009, 10:30 AM
The older version. The newer version with Gilbert Godfried is too sarcastic for me. Don't like it. You should have done a poll with it.

AmandaChan
02-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I only saw it once under the 'old' mgnt and a few times since. I honestly haven't noticed a difference. I love that ride for two reasons 1)It's nice and cold, and 2) it's nice to hear Phil Hartman's voice and I'm glad they kept the opening. The ride is a neat concept, though. I'm sure it's very appealing to children.

PetefromRI
02-01-2009, 11:22 AM
This purist likes the older version.Hull-onian is right,Gilbert Godfried is way to sarcastic for Disney even though he was created by Disney Corp.I kinda like the good old fashioned,innocent Disney attractions like Carousel of Progress and the old Tiki Birds.

kemps@wdw
02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Original...No contest! I don't care for the Iago/Zazu addition, but I'm OK w/the goddess rising out of the center thing. :goodbad:

Ian
02-03-2009, 10:50 AM
This purist likes the older version.Hull-onian is right,Gilbert Godfried is way to sarcastic for Disney even though he was created by Disney Corp.I kinda like the good old fashioned,innocent Disney attractions like Carousel of Progress and the old Tiki Birds.I'm not 100% sure if it's that I like the old-fashioned attractions, but I do think that UNM showcases the worst of the era when Disney went through that "faux hip" phase, what with the bad rapping and all that.

I think one of the biggest problems Disney has today is that they try hard to be everybody else ... cool and hip and that's just not their market placement. It never will be. They want to be the cool teenager instead of just embracing their roles as the Grandfather of animated films and theme park attractions.

Trying to pull in that demographic is a mistake because Disney will never be cool. Yeah, they do okay with the young kids and tweens with Hannah Mo' and all that, but once kids are between the ages of 13 and 25 they're not going to think Disney is cool. At least not if they're cool anyway.

Disney just needs to stick to what they do best and that's providing family oriented quality fare for that segment of society to whom being perceived as "cool" and "hip" is irrelevant.

PetefromRI
02-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Ian,you couldn't have said it better.That's exactly my thoughts on what Disney means to me!

JPL
02-04-2009, 08:10 PM
First off I prefer the original version for many reasons which I really am not going to get into here. I am definately not against change in the parks provided it's for the better. For example I love what they did to the Haunted Mansion and hate what they did to POTC. Now you can tell me the same imagineers worked on both and guess what it means nothing to me. Not everything a creative idividual does no matter how good they are currently or how great they might be in the future affects my judgement on their individual projects. An author could write the greatest book in the world and his next book can be a stinker, the same goes for musicians, movie directors, actor or just about anyone else in the entertainment field. A bad idea is a bad idea period. Hey even Walt had his share of clunkers or things that simply didn't work out the way he planned it. The Tiki Room UNM just doesn't have the same charm or timelessness as the original. I could go on with examples of other attractions but I won't do that now and just save those points for discussions in which they are relevant.

DizneyRox
02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
... but once kids are between the ages of 13 and 25 they're not going to think Disney is cool. At least not if they're cool anyway.
Man, I always thought I was pretty cool...

What a bumer!

You're right though, lately Disney seems to be trying to be "cool". That has to be the reason for SSE!

I'm fairly sure a bunch of suits in an office brainstorming on what's cool are never going to get it right. Then when they pass that idea by a bunch of bean counters, it's like totally not cool fer sure!

Mousemates
02-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ian
... but once kids are between the ages of 13 and 25 they're not going to think Disney is cool. At least not if they're cool anyway.

Does that mean my DS (14) and DD (16) are disney nerds? :mickey: (by the way there are things far worse than being a disney nerd).

Giggy
02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
but once kids are between the ages of 13 and 25 they're not going to think Disney is cool. At least not if they're cool anyway.

I'm 19 and I think Disney is cool......but then again not even I think that I'm cool. :blush:

Ian
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Heh ... I've loved Disney since age 5 and on, so clearly I wasn't cool either.

What I'm saying is really just that the bulk of teens just aren't going to find Disney stuff cool. They may secretly like it and enjoy it offline with their folks, but it can't go mainstream as cool because it just, well, isn't.

But also I'm not implying that people should care about being cool or anything ... personally, I hope my kids are never too cool for Disney. :cool:

DisneyOtaku
02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Trying to pull in that demographic is a mistake because Disney will never be cool. Yeah, they do okay with the young kids and tweens with Hannah Mo' and all that, but once kids are between the ages of 13 and 25 they're not going to think Disney is cool. At least not if they're cool anyway.

As someone in the middle of the demographic, I would just like to point out that...well, I respectfully disagree.

Not taking my own feelings into consideration (since I am obviously biased, otherwise I would not be on intercot), most of my friends would DIE to get to go to WDW or DL. Perhaps not in the younger half of that age bracket, but once you leave the middle school age kids out of it, yeah. They still want to go to Disney. They grew up on the edge of the late 80s, early 90s movies and remember them greatly and would love to go.

Disney might not have the hardcore thrill factor that other parks have, but it's DISNEY.

Imagineer1981
02-09-2009, 02:15 PM
without a doubt the original is better...Iago can go

horizonsgirl
02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I saw UNM once and never had the desire to see it again. I used to love the old one and run to it year after year.

Ian, I think you are absolutely right! Why does Disney have to be "cool!" As you can see by my "name" Horizons was my favorite ride. I mourn it every time I step foot into Epcot. Maybe it wasn't a cool ride, but I thought it was!!

I guess I've always been a Disney nerd. I've been obsessed with Disney rides since I went on Small World as a 5-year-old at the New York World's Fair!!

gresh00
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I just want to say that Ian's post about Disney's identity is probably the best post I've ever read on Intercot. COULD NOT AGREE MORE.

I do like the older version better, but at least, you can still see the older version at DL.

goofy78
02-11-2009, 12:44 AM
The new show isn't terrible, but I prefer the original. :mickey:

i agree. i still go and see UNM but i do prefer the original

it's nice to hear Phil Hartman's voice and I'm glad they kept the opening.

ahh, Phil Hartman. he made the into come to life! RIP

dixielandings
02-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm not even going to read this thread for fear that there might actually be some who prefer the "new and improved" version. Ugh.

The original Tiki Room (or Tropical Serenade - I'm such a nerd), with the original preshow, is one of the highlights of every DL visit!

goofy78
02-11-2009, 10:39 AM
As you can see by my "name" Horizons was my favorite ride. I mourn it every time I step foot into Epcot. Maybe it wasn't a cool ride, but I thought it was!!

first of all, :welcome: to intercot horizonsgirl!

second of all, horizons was an awesome ride!

if we can dream it, we can do it! :mickey:

Greenlawler
02-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Got to go to DL this fall. I remembered why I enjoyed the Tiki Room so much in the older days. Frankly I do not care for the UNM, but to each his own. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. :mickey:

disneyphilip
08-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I like 'em both.

Me too. :thumbsup:

Iago's voice is just is too annoying.

Just as he's supposed to be. :D

If he wasn't, he would be very out-of-character.

seanyred
08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
I went to DL for the first time last summer and I have to say the original show is much better than the Under New Management version. I wish they would bring back the original to WDW.

Melanie
08-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I read somewhere that tied in with the rumored Fantasyland refurb, the Tiki Room is getting the Stitch treatment like the Tokyo version that debuted a little over a year ago. :stitch:

disneyphilip
08-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I wish they would bring back the original to WDW.

Sorry, but I can't see that happening.

The old show was far too unpopular and underattended in Florida to remain there.

I read somewhere that tied in with the rumored Fantasyland refurb, the Tiki Room is getting the Stitch treatment like the Tokyo version that debuted a little over a year ago. :stitch:

I don't see that happening either, but I might be okay with it as long as they keep Iago and Zazu, as well as Jose, Michael, Pierre, Fritz and the "Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room" theme song (since "Aloha e Komo Mai" ditches Jose, Michael, Pierre, Fritz and the theme song).

Mackflava99
08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
While i do like the old one better- the new one isnt as bad as people say.

Touchdown
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Personally, I prefer the old show but I think a compromise can be made. Keep the new show, except reprogram the begining so that Iago doesnt interupt the birds until after they have sang the full version of "In the Tiki Room."

Mickey91
08-31-2009, 12:35 AM
I prefer the original.

kemps@wdw
08-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Some refurbs just aren't upgrades, and this is definitely one of them! (IMHO) Iago's voice and his roll in this "new management" is sooooo annoying, that it makes ME want to blow him up! :blowup:

poohbearkris
09-01-2009, 08:37 AM
I also prefer the older one, but can tolerate the new one. BUT, my mom took my little boy while I was on a ride with my older son and she said she will never go back, that they ruined it. As far as not changing it back, it doesn't seem like it is that widely attended either, so I don't know if it would change that much.

coneygoil
09-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I like the old one better. The new one is just irritating!

I have a 45 record of the original! It was my mom's when she was a kid.

Stu29573
09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I prefer the old version. It was so totally "un-cool" that it was completely charming. With the new one, they went for "cool," but got "dated." That's always a danger, I suppose...

Bass T-bone
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
It would be interesting to try the old show again. I know that there is a generation out there that has never seen the original show. One of the problems with the new show is that it to a certain extant, relies on the Aladdin movie for the most benefit. The old show was pure entertainment and stands on it's own.

3Cabsfan
09-01-2009, 03:42 PM
The old, original attraction far outclasses the "under new management" show. Talk about a bad decision!

AdventurerKim
09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Personally, I prefer the old show but I think a compromise can be made. Keep the new show, except reprogram the begining so that Iago doesnt interupt the birds until after they have sang the full version of "In the Tiki Room."

I love that idea! That would make the new show more tolerable for me.

pixiesmimi
09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I never went to the old show but have been to the new show one time. I will never go again. It was very boring and very irritating. I can't stand that voice!

Ian
09-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I read somewhere that tied in with the rumored Fantasyland refurb, the Tiki Room is getting the Stitch treatment like the Tokyo version that debuted a little over a year ago. :stitch:Oh God ... please ... no more Stitch! :ack:

ransam
09-02-2009, 12:23 AM
my oppinion is that both are cool...why pick one over the other...i think when they did the new show, they were very respectful of the original.

bertasso59
09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
This is probably the only update I do like,but then Im a huge fan of Gilbert Gottfried and Rowan Atkinson

MNNHFLTX
09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Oh God ... please ... no more Stitch! :ack:From what I've heard, the Stitch version of the Tiki Room in Tokyo Disneyland has actually been fairly well received there. And Stitch can't be as annoying as Iago, IMO. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
09-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I want the original Tiki Room back.

Tigerinvestigator
09-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Like many have said, Iago's voice is too much to stand. I do love the tiki goddess animatronic which is very lifelike. I don't like the new music at all. Seems like the old attraction was much more peaceful.:thumbsup:

brownie
09-08-2009, 03:39 PM
We haven't seen the Under New Management version. We experienced the Disneyland version in 2007, and I enjoyed it. I really liked the :tikki:!

I'm hoping we can see the Disney World version on our next trip (hopefully next year!) It was never a priority on our previous trips.

Giggy
09-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I like the 'Under New Management' version and think it is funny. I never saw the original however so I can't compare as to which is my favourite.