PDA

View Full Version : Need Unique baby Gift Ideas

julyjewel
01-29-2009, 01:18 PM
My cousin is having her 2nd baby. She is having a shower at the end of Feb. She is having a boy, but I have no idea what to get. I like to buy unique baby gifts, such as Baby keepsake boxes. Any suggestions?

mudpuppysmom
01-29-2009, 02:03 PM
When I had my first boy I bought a Longaberger basket (a kiddie purse actually) and when he was born I put his footprints on the lid and also painted his name on there too. Now, we keep all his "memories" that we would like to keep in there.....his/my hospital bracelet, the card they put in the bassinet with the baby, his first tooth, lock of hair from first h/c, etc......DH had to save the umbilical cord stump!! It's in there in a ziploc bag with the date it fell off......it's gross, but it was an event nontheless!!

When I had my 2nd several months ago, I did the same thing and he has a few things in there already (AND his first h/c was at MK in December so in a tissue with a Mickey sticker sealing it up is a lock of his hair!!). I have forgotten to put his footprints on it though and he's almost too big to fit on there so I better do it soon!

Just one idea, which I'm sure you will get a LOT on here!

GO STEELERS!!!

LauraleeH
01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
I like the idea of the footprint baskets! Very cute.

I'm not so creative, I just buy baby Pooh diaper bags and fill it with baby scents and powders and things that are needed.

Mickey'sGirl
01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Honestly, in these times, and as a parent of two sons, my opinion is that the best possible gift you could buy your cousin is diapers. If she hasn't decided what kind she will use, consider a gift card for either a service or a store that carries them. Put that together with a box of wipes, and you will have given her the best gift imaginable. Honestly.

Jen C.
01-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I like to give gift cerificates/gift cards to a local photography place that specializes in childrens photos.

disneyfan328
01-29-2009, 03:05 PM
I have done a couple of the ideas I have listed below and they have all gone over very well

1.) a gift card for a portrait sitting or to join them in a portrait club (here is PA we have Sears dept store. There's is called Smile Savers and it give the family free sitting fees for one year as well as special offers and discounts throughout the year. (at 14.99 per sitting fee(per subject at some places) the 30.00$ for the card is well worth it!!!

2.) A baby book or scrapbook - a lot of people forget about getting one of these to take to the hospital for those first memories.

3.) I have taken several baby blankets (blue or pink if you know the sex) I have then taken them out of the packages and folded them in half longwise so that athey are about 8-10 inches wide (this works best if you have all the same brand of blankets (burp clothes, towels and washclothes work too.) you start by taking the first blanket and rolling it up like you would roll your clothes to put them in a suitcase so that you end up with a cylinder 8-10 inches high. Keep wrapping one blanket around the cynlinder at a time until you have a fat circle about 12 inches across. if the blankets dont stay in place as you are wrapping them you can use diaper pins to secure the ends to the base as you go. basically you turn the blankets into a cake shape. I then put the "cake" onto a doily from the cake decorating section at wal mart and place it into a keepsake box. (depending on the size of the box you can make the cake big or small.) I use the computer or sticker letters to spell out happy birthday little one or baby girl or something on the top and I put little things on top of the cake to make it fancy like a little pair of booties or a rattle ect. you an pin ribbon around the top with stick pins to dress it up even more to make it look like icing ribbons (just make sure to tell them mom after that they are in there). close the lid and wallah a unique gift. Its hard to describe without a picture but you get the idea (hopefully).:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I have to say that all these creative ideas are really great, but what parents REALLY want, especially for the second child is:

GIFT CARDS to:

-TARGET
-WAL MART
-BABIES R US
-ANY Restaurant they can get Take Out from

Seriously, those first few weeks are so hard with a second baby, and money is tight for everyone. My favorite gifts when our kids were born were the USEFUL ones: the GIFT CARDS.

I can't even tell you where all those baby blankets, stuffed toys, gift baskets, etc. went. I sure don't still have them...:blush: But I can definitely tell you that I loved having those gift cards and I definitely used them, especially the restaurant ones.

NO new parents want (or have the time) to cook those first few weeks. Give the gift of dinner from their favorite restaurant. The new mom will especially appreciate this. :thumbsup:

disneyfan328
01-29-2009, 05:06 PM
I have to say that all these creative ideas are really great, but what parents REALLY want, especially for the second child is:

GIFT CARDS to:

-TARGET
-WAL MART
-BABIES R US
-ANY Restaurant they can get Take Out from

Seriously, those first few weeks are so hard with a second baby, and money is tight for everyone. My favorite gifts when our kids were born were the USEFUL ones: the GIFT CARDS.

I can't even tell you where all those baby blankets, stuffed toys, gift baskets, etc. went. I sure don't still have them...:blush: But I can definitely tell you that I loved having those gift cards and I definitely used them, especially the restaurant ones.

NO new parents want (or have the time) to cook those first few weeks. Give the gift of dinner from their favorite restaurant. The new mom will especially appreciate this. :thumbsup:

Ditto - I completely forgot about this one and I have done it as well. Things like Lasagna that you can make a decent quantity of and a package of those take and toss tupperware containers so that whatever doesn't get eaten in the first day or so can be cut into pieces and frozen for use at a later date. A pan of Lasagna, a bag of salad and nice loaf of Italian bread and you have an instant dinner that might get them through several meals. :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Whenever I buy baby gifts I always add one of my favorite things to the gift, a candle. I have been able to find the best baby powder scented candles. They come in pink or blue. I always put one in the gift bag or to accompany a gift card. I loved having my baby's room smell like baby powder. The ones I get are at a locally owned store, but I bet you could find them at any baby boutique or even online. Also, as a mother to two boys I have to echo what everyone else said, gift cards or diapers are the way to go. I also love the gift cards to places to order out or preparing a special meal for the faimly idea too. My sister in law and I did that for each other when we had our babies and it was so nice to have a few nights where we didn't have to worry about what to feed everyone.

murphy1
01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Can I hugely second Jen's diaper suggestion!!!!!!!! I have three girls and this is the best gift, you can go buy any size, they will love it!! I also do custom kid's clothing design, but I know right now things are tight and this was a much appreciated gift as you run through diapers more with a second or third baby.

crazypoohbear
01-29-2009, 09:06 PM
IF the first one is a boy she may have enough clothes left over for the boy.
One of hte things I got for my second boy was a baby blanket with his name birthdate etc.
Also, a diaper bag loaded with diapers, wipes, burp cloths, nasal aspirator, baby nail clippers, diaper cream.

You could go in with others and get a baby swing, baby gates, car seat etc.

thrillme
01-29-2009, 09:54 PM
I LOVED the Diapers...One big key...almost EVERYBODY buys newborns...I loved getting those diapers for when he was older...that was GREAT...

Idea...large wicker basket...(I just "like" the wicker baskets but you can use a plastic or metal tub if you like...)...the basket is actually part of the gift...if she has another child this is GREAT for "STUFF"...

Back to the basket...fill the basket with Diapers and perhaps some other miscellaneous items...Don't overlook an envelope filled with coupons...)...JOHNSON and JOHNSON baby MENTHOLATUM bath...this is the BEST product in the WORLD...My whole family loves it when they get a cold...it's heaven for those little snifflers who are too little for cold medicine.

After you've stuffed the basket cover it with a recieving blanket or two (stuff the sides inside the basket)...Top the basket with with a "sock corsage"...

Sock Corsage: These are EASY...(use 2 pairs of socks)...fold the neck of the sock down to "close" to the toe (I sometimes stuff a little tissue paper in the toe to fatten it a bit)...Use a rubber band to secure the bottom edge of the socks (secure all 4 together)...place one of those tiny silk bridal florals or baby's breath in the center...add a couple of silk green leaves...hide the rubberband with ribbons. The baby socks are reuseable and tend to be quite a HIT. They take about 5 minutes to make.

kaylamag
01-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I have a friend that i love to talk disney with, she is having a baby in March. I am working on a cd of Disney songs that she can play while putting the baby to sleep. So far i have Baby Mine, Stay Awake, Return to Pooh Corner, You'll be in my Heart, When She Loved Me, Little Wonders, Winnie the Pooh, and Never Alone (eeyores lullaby). Any other ideas?

DisneyAggies
01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Food.
Gift cert. to have the house cleaned.
Offer to do the dishes, laundry.
BABYSIT the older brother or sister for free--offer to do the grocery shopping,
or take the sibling to a playdate.
Gifts don't have always be a tangible thing.

I know after DS2 came, I was most thankful for dinners being prepared and the little things taken care of.

mickeys_princess_mom
02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
3.) I have taken several baby blankets (blue or pink if you know the sex) I have then taken them out of the packages and folded them in half longwise so that athey are about 8-10 inches wide (this works best if you have all the same brand of blankets (burp clothes, towels and washclothes work too.) you start by taking the first blanket and rolling it up like you would roll your clothes to put them in a suitcase so that you end up with a cylinder 8-10 inches high. Keep wrapping one blanket around the cynlinder at a time until you have a fat circle about 12 inches across. if the blankets dont stay in place as you are wrapping them you can use diaper pins to secure the ends to the base as you go. basically you turn the blankets into a cake shape. I then put the "cake" onto a doily from the cake decorating section at wal mart and place it into a keepsake box. (depending on the size of the box you can make the cake big or small.) I use the computer or sticker letters to spell out happy birthday little one or baby girl or something on the top and I put little things on top of the cake to make it fancy like a little pair of booties or a rattle ect. you an pin ribbon around the top with stick pins to dress it up even more to make it look like icing ribbons (just make sure to tell them mom after that they are in there). close the lid and wallah a unique gift. Its hard to describe without a picture but you get the idea (hopefully).:thumbsup:
Have done this "cake thing" with diapers instead of the blankets, and used a cylindrical pack of baby wipes in the middle as the base.
A small bear sticking out of the top layer makes it cute. Big hit.

afowl1017
02-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Having had three babies I must agree with the diaper and wipes people! I know it isn't a glamorous or unique gift but It is nice to have a supply already built up.(We even asked for diapers for Christmas this year. lol !)

Also the Lasagna dinner is AWESOME! A friend surprised me with such a dinner, completely made for me after I got home from the hospital. I was in tears....I thought it was the best thing any one had done for me (could have been the hormones though).

Gift cards and food or grocery cards work too! But if you want unique still....the Maya Wrap is great and if she is nursing....My Breastfriend pillow and the cool packs or Soothies for sore breasts! I couldn't live with out them.

VWL Mom
02-13-2009, 05:12 PM
A lot of good ideas here.

One of my favorite gifts I received for my 2nd was actually a gift for DS #1. It was a book "My Big Brother" for him to fill out, add pictures, and tell about himself so the new baby would know all about him. He was so proud when he gave it to his new brother.

momef3grls
02-13-2009, 09:43 PM
One thing I always do is buy a laundry basket (for something so small they do create a heck of a lot of laundry). I then fill it with tons of safety stuff. Eventhough they have one child already they could probably use some new plug protectors, door locks, toliet locks and corner protectors. I also put in some baby laundry detergent, after I find out what kind of washer they have (ie. HE). I also put in lots of Butt Paste( I love the name), baby wipes and baby dose of Tylenol. I try to walk down the baby isle and see what is new. I have always bought the rubber duck that tests the temp of the water and something new I saw was the new nipple medicine dispenser. It is awesome just put the dosage in and they can drink it with juice or just regular. These are things my cousins loved and also any other new mom out there.