PDA

View Full Version : Freezing at the parks?

megustamex
01-29-2009, 11:44 AM
We're scheduled to go next week and the forecast is looking COLD at night - 36-39 a few nights for the low! Looks like it was like that last week as well. For anyone who just returned - were you absolutely freezing at night at the parks? Winter coats necessary or did it not get that cold until the middle of the night?

indytraveler
01-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Was in Orlando week of 1-19 / 1-21. It reached 50 degrees each day but the wind was terrible. Overnight was cold, played golf Wed. am and had a frost delay! Wow!
Did see plenty of heavier jackets around Downtown Disney at night, not sure if they would count as a winter ski parka. I didn't bring out my winter coat even though I had it along. Something about being from the north and in Florida and not wearing a winter coat. If the jet stream moves like it did last week then you will need some sort of coat / jacket. I guess it all depends on what you think cold is.

dixiepixie
01-29-2009, 12:04 PM
We were there 1/16-1/24 and most of our trip was cold. We wore sweatshirts and gloves in the morning and most days kept them on all day. I also brought some handwarmers to keep in my pockets. Nights were very chilly too, especially on our Wishes cruse! We layered as much as possible the whole time so that we could always shed what we didn't want and just stick it in the stroller. We had a magical time and the cold didn't take away from it at all. I hope you have a great trip!

Daisy'sMom
01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
We do have winter here in Florida also. It is just that you are not suppose to experience it at Disney. Perhaps someone could sprinkle some warm pixie dust over the parks next weeks. I am going on Tuesday and it looks down right cold!!!!! :mickey:

Ian
01-29-2009, 02:10 PM
We went to MVMCP on December 2nd of last year and it was COLD. Like low 30's cold.

It's weird ... it's routinely in the low 20's up here in the Philly area, but for some reason in Disney it feels so much colder. Maybe because you're out in it for so long.

Anyway, bundle up and avoid the TTA. That's my suggestion!

Trev&Ev Mom
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Just returned yesterday. We were there 1/21-28. When we landed, it was 34 degrees! But by the end of the trip it had warmed up to 82! Go figure! Plan to bring both types of cold because the weather forcasters down there were predicting some more cold this weekend!

Imagineer1981
01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
I actually love the parks when its cold...so nice to enjoy the park and not have my clothes stick to me with sweat and the smell of 25 thousand other sweaty people

CaptSmee
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
We're scheduled to go next week and the forecast is looking COLD at night - 36-39 a few nights for the low! Looks like it was like that last week as well. For anyone who just returned - were you absolutely freezing at night at the parks? Winter coats necessary or did it not get that cold until the middle of the night?

It was freezing cold and we were not prepared for it! My mother caught Pneumonia! Be ready if it says the temp will be that low, 'cause we were not!

lindique
01-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I have been to DW many times during the winter. The main problem is that the sun goes down very early. And with the sunset comes a drop in temperature of about 20-30 degrees! If you're going to stand around at night waiting for the fireworks or a parade, you will get cold pretty quickly. You won't need arctic survival gear, but an intermediate-type jacket, gloves, and hat will certainly feel good if the long range forecast comes true.

JPL
01-29-2009, 06:15 PM
It can get really cold and it's a damp cold so it does feel much colder add some wind and it's down right :freeze:

Last January I was at EMHs and it had to be in the low 20s with the windchill. I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt and my winter coat and was still cold :winter: The poor CMs looked like they were dressed for the artic.

tiggerandpooh63
01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
We were there last week too and layers is the name of the game - the first day I had 4 layers on - turtleneck, sweatshirt, fleece and leather coat (with gloves). Each day I was able to shed a layer. Even on the day it turned to upper 70's I still needed a jacket in the morning and at night when the sun went down.

It obviously depends on how well you handle cold in general. My son wore shorts and a hoodie all week and was fine!:mickey:

Darbylew
01-29-2009, 07:56 PM
We live here in Florida. The weather can change quickly. One day it will be warm and
the next freezing. I have been to DW in the
winter (we live in the panhandle of Florida).
When it is cold here it is soooooo cold. Take
warm clothes - you can always take a jacket
or sweater off and tie it around your waist.
When the sun goes down it feels even colder.
FIRST TRIP 1972 :mickey:
LAST TRIP OCTOBER 2008 ;)
NEXT TRIP MARCH 2009 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN

SandmanGStefani24
01-29-2009, 07:57 PM
I actually love the parks when its cold...so nice to enjoy the park and not have my clothes stick to me with sweat and the smell of 25 thousand other sweaty people

I agree!! I am so excited that it's gonna be nice and cool when I get there in a week and a half! I have never been to the World and it not been hot. This should be a blast!

Daisy'sMom
01-29-2009, 08:29 PM
We went to MVMCP on December 2nd of last year and it was COLD. Like low 30's cold.

It's weird ... it's routinely in the low 20's up here in the Philly area, but for some reason in Disney it feels so much colder. Maybe because you're out in it for so long.

Anyway, bundle up and avoid the TTA. That's my suggestion!

It was cold that night. We went to the Candlelight Processional on the 2nd. And it was freezing!!!!!:mickey:

Daisy'sMom
01-29-2009, 08:30 PM
I agree!! I am so excited that it's gonna be nice and cool when I get there in a week and a half! I have never been to the World and it not been hot. This should be a blast!

Don't count on to much cold weather. It might be for a day, it might not be at all. You never know.