PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Cruise/PB&J Uncrustables/Allegeries

LeeAnn
01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Last yr, my kids when on the Pirate Cruise @ YC and were served PB&J Uncrustables. Since they never had it before, it didn't appeal to them and did not eat.

Just recently, my DS had allergic reaction and we believe it was to the PB. So I had him tested and we awaiting the results.

We plan on another Pirate Cruise @ POR and worry what will my DS eat if he is indeed allergic to PB. (luckly he did not try on the last cruise).

Worried what I have now look out for. The nurse @ Dr office, really scared me. Keeping my fingers crossed that he is not allergic. If so, what are my options?

Strmchsr
01-29-2009, 10:40 AM
If he's allergic to PB just let them know when you make the reservation and they'll take care of him. Don't worry. They're very good at adjusting for people with allergies.

MomTo3Tiggers
01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I have to admit that food is one of the reasons I hesitate to send my two younger kids alone to activities like that. The two combined have allergies to peanuts, nuts, sesame and milk. The world is used to working with a peanut allergy much more than working with one to milk, and we've learned the hard way not to trust people in general. However, we do trust Disney to make food for my kids.

That said, it's too soon to worry about the peanut allergy until you get the test results back. I know people who have had similar experiences, and their child was not allergic. Yours may not be.

If he does have food allergies, you'll start a learning curve and the pirate cruise will just be a small part of it unfortunately. However, there are great resources our there and labeling is much better than it used to be.

But to answer your question, I'm sure someone in guest services will be able to answer your question about what his food options are. There probably is one. The only other problem will be if he needs to carry a epipen, which is a whole other level of complication because I don't know how Disney would feel about dealing with administering one of those. I'm sure they'll tell you.

In the meantime, wait for the test results and good luck. I hope they're negative and it was a freak occurrence. If not, use all the resources people offer you (like FAAN - Food Allergy and Anaphalaxis Network) and the learning curve will be easier.

LeeAnn
02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Thank you for your responses. After a long wait, I finally got the results and he indeed is allgergic to PB. I was in bit of denial that that could actually be a possibility. Now that I know I have to rethink, well I guess, everything.

He previously was on a cruise and didn't eat the PB&J uncrustable (thank god). He now knows not to eat it. I'm still considering the whether or not to go on the cruise (still considering if we actually go to WDW).

My concern now is all the restaurants. Which do I need to look out for? TS and CS

These are the TS we are considering, should skip any of these places:
Chef Mickey Dinner
O'Hanna Dinner
WCC Dinner
Cape May Dinner
Mama Melrose
Norway Princess Dinner
Gargen Grill
Royal Princess Lunch

The place that have a predetermimed menu as O'Hanas, will that be a problem. We ate there last year and loved it. He had no reaction but doesn't mean he is safe.

buzznwoodysmom
02-19-2009, 10:31 AM
If you just let you server know the allergies and also have it noted when making all your ADRs you should be fine at all places in WDW. My son is allergic to chicken, yes chicken! Actually all poltery and most seafood and we've never not eaten at a place in WDW because of it. Most places will even send a chef to our table to talk with us about the allergy and any options they have for us. My husband is allergic to some seafood as well. We've enjoyed all our meals and neither my son nor my husband have ever left a meal hungry. I am sure they could arrange for your DS to have a differnent meal during the pirate cruise, or you could maybe even ask if you could send his own sandwich or something to make you feel better about it.

Luv Eeyore
02-19-2009, 12:05 PM
CMs are very good with people who have food allergies (I am one of them). I would not hesitate at all with respect to the pirate cruise- just tell the CMs. Having a peanut allergy is not at all uncommon anymore, and I'm sure they have a backup food plan for the kids.

The advice to speak with the CMs at restaurants is spot on. I do this everywhere we eat and I've never had a problem (in fact, I usually end up with either better service, or some sort of extra magic!).

SodaPopMGK
02-19-2009, 09:37 PM
My son is allergic to peanuts and we have no problem with him eating at Disney. That said there are some things to be aware of, Disney does have available some baked goods that are prepackaged which have not been contaminated, all the onsite baked goods are generally off limits. Also, just make sure to mention the allergy when making dining reservations and request to see the Chef once you are seated. My sons biggest complaint is that he can only have white bread for his burgers since the rolls may have been contaminated. Best of luck and I would also suggest an id bracelet/necklace/shoelace attachment that lets others know of his allergy in an emergency.

ElenitaB
02-19-2009, 11:32 PM
While we don't have direct experience with peanut allergies (except for having been sensitized to it due to one of my son's friends who I often would have as a guest), I can vouch for the CMs who run the Pirate Cruise. One of them (well, probably more than one) was a parent himself and very concerned for all the kids under his care: very professional and a master at corraling a bunch of kids in a loving way. He worked both the Pirate Cruise and Grand Adventures in Cooking.

Seasonscraps
02-19-2009, 11:58 PM
One of my friends has two kids with food allergies - one has a peanut allergy and the other has a very severe milk/dairy allergy. She told the CMs about the allergies when she made her ADRS. They advised her to call the restaurant a couple of days before and to mention it again when they checked in at the podium. The chefs came out to go over the menu and made alternatives that were safe for her children to eat. She could not have been more pleased with the experience. Not once did she feel it was any trouble what so ever.