PDA

View Full Version : Disney Stock, 1 certificate, what to do with?

GrumpyFan
01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
My wife bought me a share of Disney stock a few years ago from oneshare.com (an Intercot sponsor (http://www.oneshare.com/Stock.aspx?img=217&stock=disney&kbid=1774), btw), but I don't know what to do with it. Every year I will get a dividend check, this year's is a whopping 35 cents (whoohoo!). Can I put this share into an account with a broker, and then add more? Is it worth it, if I just own 1?

Does anybody else have Disney (or other) single shares like this? And, what have you done with yours?

Sunshine1010
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
...would love to know this too.

scoot241
01-28-2009, 07:24 PM
You can actually buy stock directly from Disney.

http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/faq_investmentplan.html

Polynesian Dweller
01-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Its stock like any other so it can be traded like any other except for one issue. Its not a board lot. Board lots are quantities of 100 and it is difficult to trade less than board lots. You can, but you may not get the full listed share price since traders want board lots not 1 share at a time and will pay less for board lots.

So, enjoy it but you would have to buy 99 more before its of real interest to the stock market.

sassafras
01-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I bought DH 1 share of Pixar stock for Valentine's Day a few years ago. Then they merged with Disney and he was given 1 share in trade. Like you,he gets a small dividend check once a year. We just let it ride. Have framed the stock and hung it in the spare bedroom with the Pixar Stock and the rest of my Disney stuff. Guess you could say we use his as decoration!

GrumpyFan
01-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Its stock like any other so it can be traded like any other except for one issue. Its not a board lot. Board lots are quantities of 100 and it is difficult to trade less than board lots. You can, but you may not get the full listed share price since traders want board lots not 1 share at a time and will pay less for board lots.

So, enjoy it but you would have to buy 99 more before its of real interest to the stock market.

You make it sound like it's just a souveneir.

I don't really want to trade it. But, I would like to put it away and collect the dividends, maybe buy a few more and just let them sit in an account, but I'm not sure what it would cost or if it would be worth doing.

BMan62
01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
You make it sound like it's just a souveneir.

Basically, that is exactly what the 'One Share' program is all about. It gives you a feeling that you are a part of the company and gives you the little perks - Annual Report, Dividend Check, etc. It is not really meant to be a traded share.

Why else would you pay 4+ times share price for a single share! :thedolls: Right now, the stock price is $22.28 and 'One Share' with frame, matte, and engraving is $120. I know the $39 transfer fee is pretty standard, but even so $80 vs. $22?????

CaptainSad
01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
My 4 kids gave me a framed share for Christmas about 6 years and I have it hanging on the wall. I faithfully put the .35 cents in the bank and vote when that time comes around. I don't care to get anymore. All I know is that I am part owner of Disney.