PDA

View Full Version : 60plus minute wait to 5 minute wait?

Imagineer1981
01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I was thinking about all the attractions that used to be 60+ minute waits and now even in peak times you can almost walk right on. Star Tours, Body Wars, Great Movie Ride, they all were long, long lines but now as they have aged (or been removed) they rarely have lines anymore. I wonder if that is a sign they are going to be targeted for removal or updates

MegPeg85
01-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I sure hope not! May just some updates or refurbs would do those rides some good...I'd cry if they ever closed GMR or Star Tours!

ali'sdad2003
01-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I think that it is due to more thinkgs to do at the studios now, especially with TSM. I love TGMR. Although some of the movies are dated, I still love that ride. Plus, it is nice to sit in the A/C for that amount of time. BONUS!!:)

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-28-2009, 03:34 PM
I think it often is just a matter of timing. In June we waited about 30 minutes for TGMR, but in October there was no line at all.

Meteora
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
On Monday and Thursday of the week we were there (just a couple of weeks ago) TGMR had a line between 30 and 70 minutes the entire day. Star Tours was a bit better, but still lurked around 30-40 minutes for most of the day.

goofy78
01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
it is all about the right place at the right time. to think that the sign above me says the wait time is 18 months!!!!! and no fast pass offered :( :wait: i guess the birth of my son in a couple of months is a good enough reason to postpone a trip :woohoo: :stork: i can't wait for the little guy!!!

CaptSmee
01-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I was thinking about all the attractions that used to be 60+ minute waits and now even in peak times you can almost walk right on. Star Tours, Body Wars, Great Movie Ride, they all were long, long lines but now as they have aged (or been removed) they rarely have lines anymore. I wonder if that is a sign they are going to be targeted for removal or updates

Negative on the Star Tours, Great Movie Ride front...we were there last week when it's supposably slow season and saw 30 min waits for Star Tours on more than 1 occasion and 45 minutes at Great Movie Ride.

Tinkerbelly84
01-29-2009, 12:34 AM
I would be so upset if they ever closed the GMR! It's one of my favorite rides.

MarkC
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Shockingly, I think you can almost add Splash Mountain to the list. We were there at Christmas of all time (Dec. 30th). We got to Splash Mountain about 8:20am and walked on. We went back after Wishes around 9pm and also walked on even though BTMRR had an hour wait. I'm sure lines are long in the afternoon but our recent trips have all had very short lines. As for Great Movie Ride, it's almost always a walk-on anymore but we did have a 20 minute wait on Dec. 29th in the afternoon, which is still really low. Star Tours was even a walk-on earlier that morning. It's all about timing and planning.

Mr. Incredible
01-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree with the rides mentioned. Also, I can remember a time when it was a much longer wait to get in HM. I don't think it creates epic lines except in the busiest of seasons. For me it's been a 10 minute wait or less the last several times I've been. :number1:

MickeyMousse
01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
My DH and I can remember during our earlier trips having a long, winding 60 minute wait at Star Tours. Now I think we've waited maybe 20 minutes at the most!! I just think it has to do with the timing and that now in that particular park there are more things to do.

Aurora
01-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Shockingly, I think you can almost add Splash Mountain to the list. We were there at Christmas of all time (Dec. 30th). We got to Splash Mountain about 8:20am and walked on. We went back after Wishes around 9pm and also walked on even though BTMRR had an hour wait.

Was it a chilly day? Could that be because people didn't want to get wet? I can't imagine walking onto Splash Mountain without a FP!!

Disneyatic
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
I love TGMR, but we have never been lucky enough to find a 10 minute wait time! I think we have waited at least 30 minutes every time we rode it. But we haven't ever waited too long for Star Tours, probably 20 or 30 minutes max....it's in dire need of an update, but still fun!

I bet the lack of wait for Splash Mountain was because of the time of year and the perception that you get wet on it after the drop.

sneezyone
01-30-2009, 11:03 AM
*knocks on wood* we've been fortunate...i dont' think that other than the "big things" we've had to wait much....course we go in march and the end of september...but....

paragon
01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
And yet, Peter Pan's Flight is always an hour wait!
Its all in the timing. We walked on to TGMR and ST several times in Sept. We had our own boat for POTC, and walked onto Splash Mountain.
Longest wait time was for TSM, and EE, but the waits were shorter than the posted tmes.

KylesMom
01-30-2009, 11:50 AM
When we go in June/July, we never see TGMR with under 30 minute waits. Usually Star Tours has quite a line as well. And Splash Mountain? We insist on FP each time, the line is so long.

I wonder if that is a sign they are going to be targeted for removal or updates
I think long before you'd see closures on these, you'd see "seasonal operation".

MarkC
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Aurora, in answer to your question-- by nighttime it was light jacket weather, so that may have had an impact. I also remember going to Disney Studios on the 29th (I think) and walking onto Star Tours at about 10am. I really think it's a matter of planning. I'm guessing most of us on this board have become somewhat experts on how to attack the parks and we spend a lot less time standing in line than the 'rookies' do. Just my two cents.

handmaidenofprincesses
01-31-2009, 02:48 PM
We too were able to walk right onto Star Tours, but GMR had a fairly long wait (and this was early January, supposedly off-season) I don't think they'll be closing these anytime soon, especially since there aren't that many other non-rollercoaster rides at DHS. I won't ride RnRC or ToT, so I'm usually finished with DHS by 3 or 3:30. They still need rides like Star Tours and GMR to keep wussy people like me occupied! ;)

Speedy1998
01-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Splash Mountain has alot to do with weather. The hotter it is the longer the line will be. The cooler it is, the more likely you are not to have to wait.