PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Backyard BBQ??

pamickeys
01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Has anyone been to Mickey's Backyard BBQ? What is it like? What time does it start and end? Can you arrive at any time during it's hours? Is the food any good? Is it worth an evening of time? Thanks for your feedback! :mickey:

yjgirl32
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I was there in May of 07 and thought it was very nice. I would say to arrive early to get better seats- this was our first night at Disney and we weren't sure how the bus system worked so we ran late. The food in my opinion was very good- but again about 3 hours prior I had just gotten off a plane. Character interaction was not as good as it is at Chef Mickey's or CRT. This was more of a mob scene. They did a little show with "cowboys" rope tricks and asked kids to come up and help. I believe it stated at 6 or 6:30 and goes for about 1&1/2 hours. I'm sure there will be someone else who can answer your ?'s better.

Maleficent's Dad
01-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Please understand that I love WDW, I love all things Disney, and it takes quite a bit to get me upset while on vacation down there.

But the Backyard BBQ definitely hit a sore nerve - or three. :bang:

I'll try to give you a few of our rememberences from the not-so-fine experience.

1. It's unorganized - completely.
Whereas the HDDR has "assigned seating" and is very well organized (very efficient, very Disney), the BBQ is NOT. When they open the gates (literally, gates), the stampede begins for the "best seats." We were shocked.

The food is on tables, buffet style. Again, a free-for-all.

The characters *attempt* to form lines for pics/autographs - with little success. Again, a more limited free-for-all.

2. It's outside. This is fine if it's a nice day/evening. If it's the summer, well, good luck to ya!

3. The food is plentiful. But have fun trying to get to it and "enjoying it" at the long picnic tables.

4. Not overly kid-friendly as the picnic tables aren't conducive to booster seats. I do not know whether or not there are high chairs.

5. They do have beer - and they give out wristbands before entering to those over 21. But the beer is another free-for-all just set out on a table by the food.
Not sure about wine.
Softdrinks are available.

6. The band and "show" are nice - actually pretty cool. There's dancing which is a nice touch.

But for the price... it is in no way worth it. It's a terrible experience - at least for us it was. We will never, and I mean NEVER, be back. The food was forgetable, the show was average, the price was quite high for what you got, and the crowds, CM's, and complete and total lack of organization ruined it for us. :angry:

hlkeck
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
We were ridiculously late - so, yeah, they let you in and there is still food well after it has started. We gave ourselves 45 minutes to get there from AKL. First off, we waited 44 minutes for a bus to MK. Yep, you read that right. 44 minutes. Every other park had 3 busses come by - and we could have taken them, we just kept thinking...it'll be here in any second. THEN - the biggest torrential downpour EVER occurred as we were getting off the bus and walking to the ferry. Every person in the MK left and got in the boat line in front of us. We waited for 4 boats. We were seriously about 1.5 hours late + the 45 minutes we left early -- so...very hungry, very hot, and very tired we finally arrived with our 4 and 6 year olds who were none too pleased at this point (read: crying hysterically and laying on the ground every chance they got).

We got there and I had not picked up our tickets at our hotel. So, I had to be driven back to the dock area to get in line to pick up tickets before they would let us in while the kids and hubby waited for me.

In the end, we didn't get to spend too much time there, but my kids had the BEST time. Yes, it was unorganized. Yes, it was a free-for-all. But we all got to eat (I think they even had big slices of watermelon which was refreshing and mickey ice cream bars and beer), and we all got to dance and have fun. We missed all the characters, which was a bit of a disappointment for the kids - but goofy started a big conga line and they just had a blast. DD6 actually said on the way out, exhausted, face beet-red from dancing her heart out, "Mom! That was the best time I have ever had at Disney!"

In the end, that one statement made it all worth it - and for a few hours we forgot about the pain to get there. :mickey:

tink'72
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
In the pictures I thought I saw a buffet line. Is the food really just put in the center of the table for anyone to grab??? I'm assuming since you are at a picnic table you sit with other families and if that is the case with the food I think I may cancel. Is there anyone out there who has recently been and clear up the buffet line question????

Thank you.

brian2000boston
01-28-2009, 09:45 PM
In the pictures I thought I saw a buffet line. Is the food really just put in the center of the table for anyone to grab??? I'm assuming since you are at a picnic table you sit with other families and if that is the case with the food I think I may cancel. Is there anyone out there who has recently been and clear up the buffet line question????

Thank you.

from Disney site

Come join Mickey, Minnie and the gang along with your merrymakin' hosts, Sarsaparilla Sal and Tumbleweed, for a hearty country picnic. With a full line-up of line-dancin', western-singin', rope-trickin' and kid-friendly entertainment, there's gonna' be some foot-stompin' in the outdoor pavilion on BBQ night. Enjoy an all-you-care-to-eat buffet featuring BBQ pork ribs, Smoked BBQ Chicken and hot dogs with all the trimmings. It's a knee-slappin' good time!

sounds like buffet maybe???

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
The food is located in a back area, and you have to go up and get what you want. I enjoyed the food.

But keep in mind, it's not your typical character experience and you are not guaranteed to meet any character, other than the fact that they will be there for atmosphere. They typically will not sign autographs or stop for photos when they are on the dance floor.

There is another thread discussing it here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=149265).

pamickeys
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
"Mom! That was the best time I have ever had at Disney!"

In the end, that one statement made it all worth it - and for a few hours we forgot about the pain to get there.

Thanks to all who replied--and hlkeck, sorry for all your delays but it was worth it in the end.:mickey: