PDA

View Full Version : I have an interview...pixie dust please!

beksy
01-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Wow, I just got an e-mail that one of the law firms that I am applying for as a summer intern liked my resume and cover letter and want to interview me on Tuesday! I am excited. This was one of my first choices! Now I just need to figure out how to make my writing sample better, practice questions, and figure out what a law student wears to an interview with a firm?? Anyway, at least I'm off to a good start!

MegPeg85
01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Congrats! I, too, am a law student (2L at Alabama). I was in your shoes a year ago, haha. It's nerve-wracking but you'll be ok!

As far as dress goes, I would just wear a conservative suit. I went to The Limited and bought a couple of suits (they usually have some deals to save some money). I chose neutral-colored suits with a conservative button-down blouse or shell (usually pale yellow or pale pink). I would recommend wearing closed-toed shoes (looks more professional). Also, "they" say that girls should wear skirts (although I hate it and think it's sexist). However, I do always wear skirts to interviews (of course, a skirt that isn't short). People also say to wear hose, but I have rebelled. I hate hose and refuse to wear it, haha.

In the interview, just be very conversational, polite, and interesting. Try not to look nervous. You want to be social but also respectful. I would suggest doing a practice interview with someone who is a lawyer or could act like a lawyer. It helps get rid of the nerves. You're probably going to get questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years," "what are you interested in doing," "what is your favorite class in law school so far," and "what do you like to do in your spare time." Those are just a sample, though, lol.

I was lucky and landed some jobs, so I hope this information will work for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good luck!

DizNee143
01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
:pixie: Goodluck!!! :pixie:

Jen C.
01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Sending you the best of wishes for getting the job!!! :D

DisneyWhirled
01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Best of luck to you! Please keep us posted!

adoptionislove
01-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Good luck to you! Keep us posted!

beksy
01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks everyone. It's been a crazy day (and I can't seem to get anything done so I'm on Intercot!). I found out this morning that my great-grandmother has 2 weeks to live at the most, so basically we're just waiting for her kidneys or something to shut down. She suffered a massive stoke last night. I'm 4 hours away with a snow/freezing rain storm here and at home in Virginia so I'm stuck (not to mention I can't afford to miss school). The snow's put my Rheumatoid Arthritis into a flair so I am back up on Prednisone and suffering the side affects from that too so I really, really needed the good news about the interview! Plus it gives me something else to worry about besides the breaking sounds outside the house! :confused:

TinkerbellT421
01-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Oh wow you have a lot going on. Sending you tons of prayers and pixie dust that your interview goes great. And also to help you get thru the stresses with your grandmother and all. I really hope everything works out for you. Hope all is well and hang in there. And hugs for comfort!:hug::pixie::pixie:

RedSoxFan
01-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Good luck on your interview. Just remember to breathe and relax. Also sorry to hear about your great-grandmother.

mrsgaribaldi
01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Loads of :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way. I'm sorry to hear about what your great grandma is going through too :hug: