PDA

View Full Version : Don't Ditch the "Rabbit Ears" Just Yet

Ed
01-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Senate votes to delay digital transition by 4 months to June 12

10:13 PM EST, January 26, 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate on Monday voted unanimously to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12 — setting the stage for Congress to pass the proposal as early as Tuesday.

Monday's Senate vote is a big victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who have been pushing for a delay amid growing concerns that too many Americans won't be ready for the currently scheduled Feb. 17 changeover.

The Nielsen Co. estimates that more than 6.5 million U.S. households that rely on analog television sets to pick up over-the-air broadcast signals could see their TV sets go dark next month if the transition is not postponed.

"Delaying the upcoming DTV switch is the right thing to do," said Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., author of the bill to push back the deadline. "I firmly believe that our nation is not yet ready to make this transition at this time."

The issue now goes to the House, where Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., has vowed to work with House leaders to bring Rockefeller's bill up for a floor vote on Tuesday.

President Barack Obama earlier this month called for the transition date to be postponed after the Commerce Department hit a $1.34 billion funding limit for government coupons that consumers may use to help pay for digital TV converter boxes. The boxes, which generally cost between $40 and $80 each and can be purchased without a coupon, translate digital signals back into analog ones for older TVs.

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration, the arm of the Commerce Department administering the program, is now sending out new coupons only as older, unredeemed ones expire and free up more money. The NTIA had nearly 2.6 million coupon requests on a waiting list as of last Wednesday.

Jonathan Collegio, vice president for the digital television transition for the National Association of Broadcasters, argues that the Nielsen numbers may overstate the number of viewers who are not ready for the digital transition. He noted that the numbers exclude consumers who have already purchased a converter box but not yet installed it, as well as those who have requested coupons but not yet received them.

What's more, consumers who subscribe to cable or satellite TV service or who own a TV with a digital tuner will not lose reception.

Still Gene Kimmelman, vice president for federal policy at Consumers Union, argues that millions of Americans — particularly low-income and elderly viewers — will pay the price because "the government has failed to deliver the converter boxes these people deserve just to keep watching free, over-the-air broadcast signals."

In 2005, Congress required broadcasters to switch from analog to digital signals, which are more efficient, to free up valuable chunks of wireless spectrum to be used for commercial wireless services and interoperable emergency-response networks.

Republicans in both the House and Senate have raised concerns that a delay would confuse consumers, burden wireless companies and public safety agencies waiting for the airwaves that will be vacated and create added costs for television stations that would have to continue broadcasting both analog and digital signals.

Paula Kerger, president and CEO of the Public Broadcasting Service, estimates that delaying the digital TV transition to June 12 would cost public broadcasters $22 million.

But Rockefeller managed to ease some of these concerns by allowing broadcast stations to make the switch from analog to digital signals sooner than the June deadline if they choose and by permitting public safety agencies to take over vacant spectrum that has been promised to them as soon as it becomes available.

___

Beast_fanatic
01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
This actually sort of annoys me as I was already sick of the DTV tests and commercials.

I do understand that the economy may have made it difficult for some to be prepared though particularly since the government ran out of coupons.

LauraleeH
01-27-2009, 02:03 PM
They've been showing commercials for this for a year and a half. Every time, they said you have until February 2009! If you couldn't get converted in 1 1/2 years, what difference is another 4 months going to be?

thrillme
01-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one annoyed by this. They've been saying it forever now. JUST DO IT!!!

Most apartment complexes and even several new subdivisions (mine's 15+ years old and the restrictions were already in place). They have cable ready to go and say NO to outside roof top antennas (I guess satillite squeeked by).

I really just don't believe that people in the almost 2 years of warning couldn't either get a coupon or scrape together $20-40 to buy a converter if they really need it. I know our cable company was offering 3-5 channels for something like $5 a month.

My first and foremost gripe is that they should have passed out the coupons to those over 65 FIRST.

Worse case scenerio...the people who don't have the converter box and NEED it will have to take up reading for a couple of months till their coupons come in. I've used rabbit ears and the reception is usually quite rotten. When I had my first apartment I opted to cut back elsewhere because the reception was so bad with rabbit ears that I signed up for basic cable.

I'm tired of it

gueli
01-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Why delay the inevitible... There has been significant advertising, the program for the discount coupons has supposidly almost run out of money, What more can people do? Those who were not ready in february will not be ready 4 months later, they most likely will wait until the switch has happened.

I hope people have gotten the message that they do not need to replace their TV's.

I hate that they continue to push this date back.

:beer:

RedheadWriter
01-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Unless you have a DTV ready TV, you will need to hitch up your rooftop or rabbit ear antennas to the DTV converter box. {Unless you did what I did and used a coat hanger (worked just fine!) So Cheap I Be.....}I have only one TV I wanted to put the box on as I have DirecTV in the living room
But seriously, I hooked up my mom's four TVS to the DTV boxes a month ago so I also said "And we went nuts getting ready for what?" when I heard about the delay.
I do like all of the back -channels that come through, though, some of which you can't get on cable/satellite.

thrillme
01-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Interesting update...I read in our local paper that we're supposedly HIGH on the list because a several of our "border" towns (near Mexico) are some of the ones that are in bad shape/not ready.

All sorts of rumors are flying about this...some say no one really believes there'll be a problem since some receive transmissions from Mexico others are saying a lot of people got the coupon but are scared to actually use it :confused:

thrillme
01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Well it looks like the house defeated the bill so the original date is going to stand.

GOOD...

Waterfall ahead...YEP...Sharp rocks at the bottom...YEP...Bring it on!

I'll bet all those who didn't get ready in the beginning will magically get ready now.

DizneyRox
01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Well it looks like the house defeated the bill so the original date is going to stand.

GOOD...

Waterfall ahead...YEP...Sharp rocks at the bottom...YEP...Bring it on!

I'll bet all those who didn't get ready in the beginning will magically get ready now.
Something tells me this could be another Y2K bug type of nothing.

Oh no, people won't be able to see commercials and they will stop buying products! They will get snow, they will figure it out and get a box and life will continue...

My TV went out on me a while back, I lived...

BrerGnat
01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
It's television, for goodness sake. It's not rocket science. Why is this a government issue?

I mean, honestly.

It's 2009. UPGRADE your cable if you want to ENTERTAIN yourself with televison.

That's all I'm going to say. :-o

Ed
01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm with Nat on this one. :thumbsup:

This has been publicized for soooooo long, beginning long before the economy went south. People have had more than enough time to prepare for this. But it appears many procrastinated.

This is so much like the situation that arises when hurricanes approach; the wise folks prepare accordingly, but all too many don't take any precautions. Those are the ones you see on CNN (if your non-digital TV works, that is!) boo-hooing "We didn't think it would hit us" or "We didn't think it would be this bad."

You snooze, you lose. Game over.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Bucking the Obama administration, House Republicans on Wednesday defeated a bill to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting to June 12 — leaving the current Feb. 17 deadline intact for now.

The 258-168 vote failed to clear the two-thirds threshold needed for passage. It’s a victory for the GOP members, who warn that postponing the transition would confuse consumers.
The House Republicans say a delay also would burden wireless companies and public safety agencies waiting for the spectrum that will be vacated by the switchover, and create added costs for television stations that would have to continue broadcasting both analog and digital signals for four more months.

The defeat is a setback for the administration of President Barack Obama and Democrats on Capitol Hill, who fear too many Americans won’t be ready for next month’s analog shut-off. The Nielsen Co. estimates more than 6.5 million U.S. households that rely on analog television sets to pick up over-the-air broadcast signals still are not prepared for the transition. People who subscribe to cable or satellite TV or have a newer TV with a digital tuner will not be affected.

“In my opinion, we could do nothing worse than to delay this transition date,” said Joe Barton of Texas, the top Republican on the House Commerce Committee. “The bill is a solution looking for a problem that exists mostly in the mind of the Obama administration.”

Barton led the push to scuttle the bill, which passed the Senate unanimously on Monday night.

The Obama administration had no immediate comment on the House vote.

Congress in 2005 required broadcasters to switch from analog to digital signals, which are more efficient, to free up valuable chunks of wireless spectrum to be used for commercial services and interoperable emergency-response networks.

But the Obama administration called for the transition date to be postponed after the Commerce Department earlier this month hit a $1.34 billion funding limit for coupons to subsidize digital TV converter boxes for consumers. The coupon program allows consumers to request up to two $40 vouchers per household to help pay for the boxes, which translate digital signals back into analog ones for older TVs. The boxes generally cost between $40 and $80 each and can be purchased without a coupon.

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration, the arm of the Commerce Department administering the program, is now sending out new coupons only as older, unredeemed ones reach a 90-day expiration date and free up more money. The NTIA had nearly 2.6 million coupon requests on a waiting list last week and those people will not receive their coupons before Feb. 17.

NotaGeek
01-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Personally? I think it's a waste of taxpayer money to give vouchers to pay for the boxes. Television is a luxury ... not a right. We could have taken ALL that money and kept music in hundreds of schools. :soapbox:

They have advertised this for 2 years ... that's enough time.

BrerGnat
01-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Personally? I think it's a waste of taxpayer money to give vouchers to pay for the boxes. Television is a luxury ... not a right.

I totally agree. :thumbsup: I'm so sick of the sense of entitlement in this country...

drummerboy
01-28-2009, 10:08 PM
We've already had the switchover in our little corner of the country. You might say we were the 'beta' group.

Frankly, I think the broadcast industry, who apparently wanted this switch, should have had to foot the bill.

I'm not too sure what the big deal is with HDTV anyway--I don't want to see every bit of acne on Horatio Caine's face. :D

I suppose anyone's views on the vouchers depends on their economic circumstances. If you can't afford cable by now, you probably can't afford the converter box that became necessary because of the switch. If you already have cable, you don't need the box.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I am glad that the delay has been defeated. I have seen all I can of the DTV commercials.

I will say that I thought it was dumb to make the switch in February, because once the transition is complete, some people may have to adjust their outside antenna to regain reception of some channels they had prior to the conversion, and I would hate to be up North climbing on my snow covered roof to work on my antenna.

As far as the cost of the swicth goes, if Uncle Sam would stop subsidizing these converter boxes, it wouldn't be long before the boxes are $5 a piece WITHOUT a coupon. The coupon program has encouraged a higher price than these cheap boxes would command without the coupon program.

bicker
02-01-2009, 09:03 AM
A few notes about this.

The Senate has now passed a second bill for the delay. The House will take this bill up on February 4 -- that is the soonest their rules allow considering this without again requiring a 2/3 majority (which is why the first bill failed in the House). There are more than enough votes in favor of a delay at this point to pass the bill with the rules being only 50% majority required.

I agree that most of what television offers is outside of what you would call a "right", but do keep in mind one aspect of television that is a right: The right of all citizens to be provided equal access to emergency notifications and information. The government (wisely) has chosen to use broadcast television for emergency broadcasts. It has the distinct advantage of being both an audio and video distribution mechanism, and so therefore in addition to folks without hearing or vision disabilities being able to avail themselves of notifications and information delivered that way, blind people and deaf people can do so as well, even if in a limited way.

So that's the main way that concern about how people would retain their ability to watch (broadcast) television became an important issue with regard to the digital transition.

However, the provisions made were indeed appropriate and more than sufficient to accomplish that objective. The folks who aren't prepared now either don't watch television enough for it to matter, or through their own inaction have gotten themselves into the pickle that they're in.

What we are seeing, though, are some opportunistic politicians in Congress exploiting the whole situation to make a name for themselves, and/or working to make themselves look like heroes. They have had more than four years to raise these objections. Nothing has changed -- everything that has happened, including the CECB program running out of money for coupons, was anticipated. They didn't raise the issue earlier, because they knew that they'd not have prevailed then -- that they could only look like heroes if they capitalized on the sympathy they could muster by parading elderly procrastinators out to serve as foundation for their objections, combining that with the fear they could instill due to how little time there was left.

drummerboy
02-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I am glad As far as the cost of the swicth goes, if Uncle Sam would stop subsidizing these converter boxes, it wouldn't be long before the boxes are $5 a piece WITHOUT a coupon. The coupon program has encouraged a higher price than these cheap boxes would command without the coupon program.
Hmmm. Good point.

bicker
02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't think that they'll get down that low, at least not anytime soon. One part inside these boxes was $180, all by itself, just eighteen months ago. I do believe the boxes could get down to $25 or even $20, within the next few years.

ChipDale2708
02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
'Frankly, I think the broadcast industry, who apparently wanted this switch, should have had to foot the bill.'

I just need to correct this statement, it wasn't the Broacasters who wanted to make this switch, it was the FCC. I don't understand the background to the whole change over and the reasons, I do however work for a television station and this change has created major financial difficulties for the stations across the country. True, at the time the decision was made to start these conversions, financially things were 'okay'. Today, obviously things are not 'okay'. At this point because of this, the broadcasters should be asking for a 'bail-out'.

And sorry, I'm one of those people that has been programming the "Are you ready for the change" commercials and announcements. No one more than me wants them to go away...

bicker
02-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Do keep in mind what the article quoted in the first message in this thread pointed out:
In 2005, Congress required broadcasters to switch from analog to digital signals, which are more efficient, to free up valuable chunks of wireless spectrum to be used for commercial wireless services and interoperable emergency-response networks.A big push to solidify the date of the digital transition came as a result of 9/11, and the difficulty emergency service workers had communicating between agencies. And the people of the United States actually profit from the auctioning of radio frequencies associated with the commercial wireless services: The auction has raised over $19B so far (less than $2B of which has been allocated to cover the costs of the CECB program).

JPL
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Well they voted to delay the switch :rolleyes:

House votes to delay digital TV transition (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29003127/wid/11915829?GT1=40000)

I mean really don't we have more pressing issues right now :confused: This is really getting out of control. Maybe they just want to make sure all the people without jobs have something to do during the day.

bicker
02-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Keep in mind that this change changes the digital television transition from a hard date into a soft date. Whereas the way things were, the vast majority of channels would transition on February 17. Now, instead, channels will transition whenever they wish, as they are able, anytime between now and June 12.

That's less confusing? How?

thrillme
02-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I still think it's dumb.

I agree...television is a "privlege" not a right.

I guess I just kinda feel when I was MUCH younger I moved into my first apartment. Cheap apartment, ate whatever I could scrape together, used lots of coupons...made enough to cover expenses (I did not have a cell phone nor did I have long distance on my home phone)...I opted to NOT get cable when I first moved in to save money. After about a week the reception on my TV was TERRIBLE. Eventually I decided that cable was a "luxury" that I needed to budget for. Some how I managed to do it. Just simple "basic" cable.

I didn't expect anybody to take care of it for me. At first I felt a bit sorry for people but now...after all this delay...I'm starting to wonder WHY they feel they are "entitled".

Times change...keep up.

ChipDale2708
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=bicker;1825802]Keep in mind that this change changes the digital television transition from a hard date into a soft date. Whereas the way things were, the vast majority of channels would transition on February 17. Now, instead, channels will transition whenever they wish, as they are able, anytime between now and June 12.

QUOTE]

Just wanted to update everyone, the transition is now June 12 - no option to go ahead on the 17th. I work for two stations and one was going to drop analog on the 17th while the other waited until the June date. It was just handed down stations have to wait until June. I'm off to schedule new "oops, silly us, did we say February, we meant June" PSA spots to drive everyone crazy. Sorry...

bicker
02-05-2009, 07:39 PM
You are mistaken.

The Federal Communications Commission is issuing this Public Notice to announce the procedures that full-power television broadcast stations must follow if they wish to terminate their analog television broadcast service on or after February 17, 2009 ...[Source: FCC. (http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-09-6A1.doc) ]

So, indeed, channels can and will be transitioning before June 12, and many will be transitioning on February 17, as originally planned.

d_m_n_n
02-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Eeesh...just when I thought the end was near for all the "Are you ready..." commercials.

:thedolls: :mad: :shake: :bang: :rant: :angry: :rolleyes:

JPL
02-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Besides the fact that they are annoying and not to mention all the little tests the networks have been doing. It's a giant waste of resources that could be put to better use.

2Epcot
02-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Some TV stations to end analog signal on Feb. 17

By Peter Svensson, AP Technology Writer - 2/6/09

NEW YORK — Television viewers who use antennas and were expecting a few more months to prepare for digital TV may not have much time left before their sets go dark: Many stations still plan to drop analog broadcasts in less than two weeks.

When Congress postponed the mandatory transition to digital TV until June, it also gave stations the option to stick to the originally scheduled date of Feb. 17.

That means the shutdown of analog signals, which broadcasters had hoped would happen at nearly the same time nationwide, could now unfold in a confusing patchwork of different schedules.

Lawmakers wanted to address concerns that many households that receive TV signals through an antenna are not prepared for the switch. They were also mindful that a government fund has run out of money to subsidize digital converter boxes for older TVs.

Dozens of stations around the country now say they are going to take advantage of the option to drop analog broadcasts this month.

Many others are on the fence. The total number is likely to be in the hundreds, a substantial chunk and maybe even a majority of the country's 1,796 full-power TV stations.

The House voted Wednesday to delay the mandatory shutdown until June 12.The Senate passed the measure unanimously last week, and the bill now heads to President Barack Obama for his signature.

The legislation means analog signals could vanish entirely in some areas but persist in neighboring regions. In rural areas, low-power stations will continue to broadcast in analog even beyond June 12.

On Thursday, the Federal Communications Commission ordered stations that still plan to turn off analog signals on Feb. 17 to notify the FCC by Monday.

Acting Chairman Michael Copps said the commission could prohibit stations from making the switch if doing so is not in the public interest. For instance, if all stations in a market want to turn off early, that would draw FCC scrutiny, he said at a commission meeting.

For many broadcasters, delaying the shutdown is inconvenient and expensive. Many of them have scheduled engineering work on their equipment to make the transition on Feb. 17.

The Oklahoma Educational Television Authority, the public broadcasting network in the state, said Thursday that it planned to cease analog transmission from its full-power antennas at 1 p.m. on Feb. 17.

"We have four full-power stations all with 30-year-old-plus analog transmitters that are costly to maintain, putting out less than a quality signal," said Mark Norman, deputy director of technology at OETA.

"Sitting right alongside them are brand-new digital transmitters that have been running now for a few years. We just think it's counterproductive to continue to put money into the old ones."

Keeping the analog equipment in operation until June would cost the station about $200,000 at a time when the state is considering cutting its contribution to the budget, Norman said.

PBS spokeswoman Lea Sloan said about half of the 356 public broadcasting stations across the country will make the switch on Feb. 17. Many will do it for financial reasons. PBS said last month that if all its stations had to delay the switch, it would cost an estimated $22 million.

The Utah Broadcasters Association said the commercial stations in the state still plan to shut down analog on Feb. 17, while the public ones will wait until June.

In Wisconsin, at least two stations in Madison and five in the La Cross-Eau Claire plan to flip the switch on Feb. 17. In Minnesota, at least four stations plan to keep that date, along with five in Iowa.

Copps, the acting FCC chairman, said CBS, Fox, ABC and NBC and Telemundo had committed to keeping the stations they own broadcasting analog until June 12.

Together, they own 85 full-power stations, mainly in large cities. The rest of the stations that carry these networks are affiliates not owned by the network. ABC spokeswoman Julie Hoover said some of its stations may still go early if all other stations in their market do so.

Gannett Co. and Hearst-Argyle Television Inc. also pledged to maintain the vast majority of their stations on analog, Copps said. They own or operate 52 stations.

"These broadcasters deserve our gratitude. I encourage other broadcasters to join them," Copps said.

The transition to digital TV is being mandated because digital signals are more efficient than analog ones. Ending analog broadcasts will free up valuable space in the nation's airwaves for commercial wireless services and emergency-response networks.

In a few areas, including Hawaii, stations have already abandoned analog broadcasting.

TVs connected to cable or satellite services are not affected by the analog shutdown. But that still leaves a lot of people who could see channels go dark on Feb. 17. According to research firm MRI, 17.7% of Americans live in households with only over-the-air TV.

Most of them are ready for the analog shutdown, according to the National Association of Broadcasters and analysts at the Nielsen Co. Nielsen said Thursday that more than 5.8 million U.S. households, or 5.1% of all homes, are not ready.

At the Oklahoma public broadcasting association, Norman believes viewers are ready for the switch. The network has invited viewers to call in with transition questions on several nights. Each time, the number of callers has been smaller, Norman said.

"We really don't think it's going be as major of an issue as people anticipated," he said.