PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth Descent Updated?

jclightchasr
01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Have they made any further changes to the descent scene in spaceship earth? I was on wikipedia and the article mentioned as of late they were trying to improve it. My last ride was soft opening Dec. 07' with working video screens and basically a tunnel that seemed to be constructed of nothing more than black fabric and glorified white christmas lights.

JPL
01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Nope same lame descent and you still end being one of the Jetsons :ack:

cindchan
01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Oh well that just stinks....I haven't seen it yet (it being still closed when I was there last), but I was hoping for something better than the video I saw online. Sounds boring. I like the old decent. There was so much in the way of cool stuff to look at!

Tekneek
01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I have not been on it since the change, but my wife was on it back in September and was very underwhelmed by it. She thought it was the worst version yet. I am really surprised that they would ruin a classic like that.

Iluvpooh
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I wish, but no it was the same in November as it was last year.

DisneyGlutton
01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
The tunnel itself is rather underwhelming, but I totally love the interactive ending. Next time we ride we are doing it in a foreign language just to see what we get from random choices!:) But like everyone said, it hasn't been changed since the renovation. Changing a classic can be tricky and controversial, but I think they did a good job with SE (minus the descent tunnel itself, I guess they ran out of $, though if the tunnel wasn't a bore, you wouldn't pay attention to the interactive video maybe, idk).

DisneyNut2005
01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
...though if the tunnel wasn't a bore, you wouldn't pay attention to the interactive video maybe, idk).

Exactly. I agree.

Too many people seem to miss that point, IMO.

The SSE upgrade is awesome, including the ending, so I don't think that being so hard on it is such a good idea.

Ian
01-27-2009, 08:22 AM
I think the ending is terrible and no ... it hasn't been updated.

The beginning is pretty terrific, but I think the video part at the end is just an embarrassment. One of the most un-imaginative and underwhelming pieces of Imagineering ever.

DizneyRox
01-27-2009, 09:51 AM
One of the most un-imaginative and underwhelming pieces of Imagineering ever.Pretty sad when you can make SGE look like a marvel of modern technology and innovation.

Septbride2002
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
I kinda like it......:razz:

megustamex
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Okay, I'm going to go against the crowd...I LOVED it.
I guess I really liked the cheesy choose your own video adventure at the end. Reminded me a bit of the old Horizons...I'm sure I'll be massacred at this point....

DawsonAR
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
We loved it. The kids really had a blast with it.

Polynesian Dweller
01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
When we first rode the rehabed SE, I expected to hate the ending. I ended up not hating it, not loving it either, but it wasn't as bad as people had made it out to be. It could be a better film with better integration of the people into the cartoon. But it was OK.

yourmagicalguide
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Okay, I'm going to go against the crowd...I LOVED it.
I guess I really liked the cheesy choose your own video adventure at the end. Reminded me a bit of the old Horizons...I'm sure I'll be massacred at this point....

I have very fond memories of Horizons' choose your own adventure, so don't feel like you're the only one :mickey: There's just something about feeling like you have control over your destiny :)

cindchan
01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Exactly. I agree.

Too many people seem to miss that point, IMO.

No, I know exactly what's there. The interactive thing. And I think that's exactly what people are talking about. Now granted, I haven't ridden it yet, and will in Mar, before I truly decide if I like it.

It's just that, it seems like there's only so many choices and that it wouldn't be quite so interesting after several rides.

But as I said, I'll wait to ride and then see what I think of it.

JPL
01-27-2009, 09:16 PM
The beginning is pretty terrific, but I think the video part at the end is just an embarrassment. One of the most un-imaginative and underwhelming pieces of Imagineering ever.

I couldn't agree more the technology they are using is very underwhelming to say the least. The cut paste of your picture on the cartoon looks like something one of my kindergarten students did :ack:

Not to mention how sexist the actual choices and roles they show in the future really are. I answered a few times just randomly and every answer having to do with cooking or cleaning put my face on the woman character in the cartoon.

Sorry but Imagineering struck out with this one in my book. It went from a must ride classic experience to a "if I have time" attraction and yes I get the point with what they were trying to do but it just doesn't work.

DisneyGlutton
01-28-2009, 02:06 AM
It's just that, it seems like there's only so many choices and that it wouldn't be quite so interesting after several rides.

I totally disagree! Maybe I'm nuts, but I try to get on SE at least three times a trip. The possibilities of the combinations of the ending...there are at least three options for every question, with at least six questions (my memory isn't as good as it should be) so that's a minimum of 729 endings! It has its flaws sure, like the picture not always being great, but even Disney can't manage perfection! (Though I will have to pay attention to the sexist things mentioned above, I guess I don't pick the home option enough, its mostly leisure for me, lol)

TinkerbellT421
01-28-2009, 08:45 AM
I dont mind the ending. I dont love it but I dont hate it either. SE is still a favorite of mine. And as long as they never get rid of it completely Im happy. Ok so whats her name is really annoying I find....But I never really listen to the story all that much anyway...I learned to tone her out. I just enjoy the ride...One new thing that wasnt there when we rode on it in January of 08 was at the end of the ride when your walking through all the interactive games...They take your pictures (everyone that was just on the ride) and theres about ten flat screens hanging from the ceiling and they take your pictures from the "Your life" or whatever its called on the ride and post them on the flat screens. They just post your head on all different things, like scuba divers, and I cant remember what else but I didnt notice that last year in 08 maybe we just walked right through I dont remember.

hardingella
01-28-2009, 09:54 AM
We loved it. The kids really had a blast with it.

:ditto::ditto:

mcjaco
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
The fanboys of SSE are still claiming that Disney is updating the descent on a regular basis, because they've seen curtain movement. (I'm rolling my eyes).

I find it hard to believe that they'd still be making updates a year after the refurb.

Mrs Bus Driver
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
I think they did a great job with it. First rode it in 2002 and thought it really needed an upgrade. As for the so called cheesy ending, I liked it. However your opinion about it may have to do with your attitude or the company you ride with. In order to enjoy it you have to "play" with it. This causes you to interact with the other person in your car. I understand this is not everyone's cup of tea but I saw a lot of people enjoying this.

Next time we ride we are doing it in a foreign language just to see what we get from random choices!

About our 3rd trip on this ride DD pushed German before I could say anything (I think we may have been fighting over the controls). It was so funny we could hardly get out of the car. This is one of my favorite memories of that trip. :mickey:

Tekneek
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
The interactive screen thing would work if it weren't the only thing happening. Being forced into that is extremely underwhelming compared to what SSE has been like over the previous life of the attraction.

Altair
01-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Make the goofyest face you can when they take the picture. Then check yourself out when they put you up on the wall to show where you're from. It kind of livens things up a bit.:blush:

Daisy'sMom
01-28-2009, 07:49 PM
We love it. :mickey:

cindchan
01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Make the goofyest face you can when they take the picture. Then check yourself out when they put you up on the wall to show where you're from. It kind of livens things up a bit.:blush:

:funny: :rotfl:

Okay! I'm going to have to try that now! A goofy face on a scuba diver, or someone flying a space ship, or whatever, sounds like a laugh riot!! I might just buy the pic if it's funny enough!! ^_^

CaptainSad
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
If they had an exit at the top, I would take it in a heartbeat. Imagineering stunk this one up royally:ack:.

AXOAlum
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I was so sad when we went in September and found out for ourselves just how bad the rehab really turned out. I love SSE - it WAS a classic for me. Jeremy Irons was amazing, and it was nice to have a ride where you could actually learn some things (and remember some others!) without having to have "something" to play with during the ride. It just frustrates me - it reminds me of my mother. She has such severe ADHD that she can't do anything without something in her hands to play with (including texting me FROM church DURING service!!). But I digress... I cannot stand the "dumbing" down of SSE and Judy Dench is just dreadful in my book. Its like the 2nd version of JII :sick:

Marceline
01-29-2009, 03:04 AM
I have always loved SSE and heard the reviews about how horrid the new ending was.....yet.....I liked it, a lot.:thumbsup:

Granted, my favorite ending was the cheesy 80's "Tomorrows Child" song, but that would be very dated and silly now. I loved the original narration by Walter Cronkite dearly, so Jeremy Irons was a letdown to me at one point....but, it's okay, things change.;)

The new ending had my DD and I rolling every time we rode. We liked picking new answers each time to see what setting it might give us. We just giggled up a storm over our big cut-out heads on little cartoon bodies. They even included my DD's mouse ears, it was hilarious!

Just make a goofy face when they take your picture and have fun with it.:D

Diznee4Me
01-29-2009, 08:14 AM
On our past trip we rode it five times - loved the ending. DD couldn't get enough and the DW and I DID make faces! :D

I like Judi Dench - I think I liked Jeremy Irons a little better - but her narration didn't turn me off to the ride and the ending was fun. I even liked the hanging strings of lights - I am sure to be flamed for that :blush: - but IMHO it was a great new beginning and a fun descent to share with my DD and DW.

BMan62
01-29-2009, 08:18 AM
:funny: :rotfl:

Okay! I'm going to have to try that now! A goofy face on a scuba diver, or someone flying a space ship, or whatever, sounds like a laugh riot!! I might just buy the pic if it's funny enough!! ^_^

You don't even have to buy the pic -- send yourself the free postcard from the 'game' room after your ride. All around the map there are computers that allow you to send free "Greetings From the Future" postcards through e-mail. We did this our first time on the updated SSE and I still have a copy of it.

DisneyNut2005
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
I think the ending is terrible and no ... it hasn't been updated.

No, it's not.

...but I think the video part at the end is just an embarrassment. One of the most un-imaginative and underwhelming pieces of Imagineering ever.

That is highly untrue and you know that. Folks like you are way too hard on Disney and I just can't find a way to tolerate that, since way too many Internet fanboys already take delight in slamming EVERY new thing that Disney does (no matter how good or bad they may be) without thinking. Behaviors like that give us Disney fans a bad name and will continue to do so if things keep going down that road. :mad:

DizneyRox
01-29-2009, 10:11 AM
I can't wait to hear the response to this... :D

TinkerbellT421
01-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I can't wait to hear the response to this... :D

:ditto::thedolls: lol!

megustamex
01-29-2009, 11:51 AM
And I completely forgot to congratulate Disney on FINALLY doing something with the space after the ride that actually made me want to stick around the exhibit. I think that is the first time I actually didn't just blow through the exit of SSE. We spent a whole hour playing all the video games. My daughter had a blast!

Ian
01-29-2009, 02:15 PM
No, it's not.

That is highly untrue and you know that. Folks like you are way too hard on Disney and I just can't find a way to tolerate that, since way too many Internet fanboys already take delight in slamming EVERY new thing that Disney does (no matter how good or bad they may be) without thinking. Behaviors like that give us Disney fans a bad name and will continue to do so if things keep going down that road. :mad:You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you need to learn to respect the opinions of others.

Bottom line, it's not a fact-based situation. It's not 1+1=2. I have my opinion (it stinks ... shared by many people who have ridden the new version) and you have yours (it doesn't stink, it's wonderful, just like everything Disney does, they never get anything wrong).

Neither one is right or wrong. They're just opinions.

jclightchasr
01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
The fanboys of SSE are still claiming that Disney is updating the descent on a regular basis, because they've seen curtain movement. (I'm rolling my eyes).

I find it hard to believe that they'd still be making updates a year after the refurb.
I hope there is some validity to this, wouldn't it be amazing if they pulled back the curtains only to find out they trumped the previous versions descent? However I am not holding my breath.

For those that love the ending I am glad. They can keep the interactive screens up. Horizons ending was far more elaborate including its graphics though so comparing beyond the fact that the ending is interactive is not really a valid point.

Look at the old ending on you tube and see all that they took out. I showed it to my 10 year old son and he was shocked. He wanted to know if they were putting it back in. Most folks nowadays see plenty of cool interactive video at home or on the computer so this isn't such a big deal to people. Its funny and its cute and it there are alot of diffent ending options but it did not feel awe inspiring or overwhelming like the previous ending. There was so much to see and look at all over the place that you could ride several times and not take it all in. The classical music score was perfectly matched to the visual. Little kids liked it too. If you want my opinion the money went toward the hundreds of interactive computer screens and now even if they are getting negative feedback they are for the timebeing not able to justify a change. Classics can be enhanced, updated, and added to (ex. POTC, Smallworld) without gutting 50% of the ride, and replacing it with a TV, a black curtain, and some Christmas lights.
Disney has and can do much better.

Ian
01-29-2009, 02:42 PM
FYI ... the "fanboy" rumors have merit ... they are currently working on building out the ending.

I have no idea what all is included in it, but it's definitely in the process of being "plussed."

Look for the updates to debut end of Q1/beginning of Q2.

jrkcr
01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I guess I'm just easy to please. I liked the old, and now I like the new! :mickey:

DD8 had a blast making the post card from the future, and e mailing them to relatives. It was a fun e mail to come home to! I printed it out and put it on the frig.

And I enjoyed quietly repeating everything Judi Dench said. DD8 finally asked what I was doing. I was just trying out her accent. :blush: I don't care much for what she says(the script), but I like how she says it.

lindique
01-29-2009, 06:01 PM
FYI ... the "fanboy" rumors have merit ... they are currently working on building out the ending.

I have no idea what all is included in it, but it's definitely in the process of being "plussed."

Look for the updates to debut end of Q1/beginning of Q2.
I read about this on another website. They also hinted about an updated version of "Tomorrow's Child" during the descent. I sure hope the rumors are correct!

Marker
02-01-2009, 06:28 PM
The ending is different than it was, that is absolutely true.

I can not jump on the bandwagon of dis-liking it simply for that reason.

I actually kind of like the ending, and if I had kids riding with me, I think they'd love it.

Opinions vary, and that's fine. Some like it, some don't. I would encourage folks from not simply jumping on the bandwagon of disapproval until they've had a chance to see it for themselves. For me, it doesn't matter if everyone else in the world hates it.... I'm still going to stick by the opinion I formed myself after seeing it.

I like it. Is it the coolest thing ever, no, but I still like it. I like that it looks into the future; I like that it is done so kids will enjoy it; I like that it is interactive; I like that there is an education element to it as it should be in Epcot.

If you've seen it and you really don't like it, that's fine that's your opinion. But hopefully it's not just because its different, or because it's more fun (or cool, or trendy) to complain.

JPL
02-01-2009, 11:10 PM
I have been on it sevral times since the rehab and not only do I hate the new ending but the Judi Dench Narration really annoys me as well. It just dumbs down the total experience in my opinion. I think the work they did on updating the animatronics is awesome but that's where it stops. It's a shame they did so much good work and then ruined it with the ending and narration.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Having ridden the Walter Cronkrite, Jeremy Irons, and Judi Dench versions of SSE.....I have enjoyed each one for different reasons!

And having rode it SEVERAL times this past week, My favorite part of the ride was getting "stuck" up at the top gazing at the stars while someone was being transferred from a wheelchair.

Ian
02-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I have been on it sevral times since the rehab and not only do I hate the new ending but the Judi Dench Narration really annoys me as well. It just dumbs down the total experience in my opinion. I think the work they did on updating the animatronics is awesome but that's where it stops. It's a shame they did so much good work and then ruined it with the ending and narration.I agree about Dench's narration. I don't like it at all.

Although it's really the script I don't like more than the narration itself. It's too juvenile.

JPL
02-02-2009, 09:09 AM
The script helps her along but it's also her tone the way she is talking down like everyone riding is an idiot.

Marker
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree about Dench's narration. I don't like it at all.

Although it's really the script I don't like more than the narration itself. It's too juvenile.

Not being argumentative, just curious.

If you could rework the script to what you wanted, what audience would you target?

I won't disagree that the script has come down a notch or two, however, if it helps make it more appealing to a younger audience, I really don't have a problem with it. To me, it still gets the message across, and by targeting a younger audience, perhaps it get the message across to a broader audience. But that's just my opinion.

Now, had they chosen to make it entertaining and lost the educational aspect, I would have a problem with that. But for me, the message is still there.

DixieBelle
02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I won't disagree that the script has come down a notch or two, however, if it helps make it more appealing to a younger audience, I really don't have a problem with it. To me, it still gets the message across, and perhaps it get the message across to a broader audience.

"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
Walt Disney

" I don't believe in talking down to children. I don't believe in talking down to any certain segment. I like to kind of just talk in a general way to the audience. Children are always reaching."
Walt Disney

I Agree with Ian.
My son has learned a lot about history and it is one of his favorite subjects, but he did not learn it from someone talking to him like he was a preschooler.

Ian
02-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Not being argumentative, just curious.

If you could rework the script to what you wanted, what audience would you target?

I won't disagree that the script has come down a notch or two, however, if it helps make it more appealing to a younger audience, I really don't have a problem with it. To me, it still gets the message across, and by targeting a younger audience, perhaps it get the message across to a broader audience. But that's just my opinion.

Now, had they chosen to make it entertaining and lost the educational aspect, I would have a problem with that. But for me, the message is still there.Well Dixie Belle pretty much stole my thunder there, but yeah ... you can educate younger kids and get the message out without sounding patronizing and, well, dumbed down.

There's just something in her tone that's very lackadaisical and almost nonchalant sounding that the Cronkite and Irons narrations didn't have. I mean it's the history of man, for heaven's sake. It requires a certain amount of reverence and gravity in your voice. Dench sounds like she's hocking mops on an informercial or something.

DixieBelle
02-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Well Dixie Belle pretty much stole my thunder there,

Sorry Ian, my mother did teach me not to steal.
:blush:

Dench sounds like she's hocking mops on an informercial or something.
:laughing:

JerseyDad
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
The script helps her along but it's also her tone the way she is talking down like everyone riding is an idiot.

...the revision to SSE is just another sign of where today's society is going. This country is slowly....but surely.....being reduced to it's lowest common denominator. It's sad........and pathetic.

Granny Jill A
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't care for the new ending, but I do enjoy the nap on the way down :).

My granddaughter LOVES it, so maybe it's just the wave of the future. We old-timers will have to adapt.

Toad
02-07-2009, 06:23 PM
...the revision to SSE is just another sign of where today's society is going. This country is slowly....but surely.....being reduced to it's lowest common denominator. It's sad........and pathetic.

What's even more evident in the revision of SSE, specifically the ending, is the gradual mediation of experience as result of technology. I think people are becoming increasingly isolated and alienated from themselves and the world around them, and firsthand experiences are being replaced by virtual realities.

Zawadi
02-08-2009, 09:50 AM

Doesn't the SSE update include the narration in different languages? If it does then the technology is there to also present scripts aimed at different age groups.

JPL
02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm sure they could but the main reason a lot of these problems came up in the first place was the budget and the condition of the ride. The animatronics were basically falling apart according to some sources. You know that paper boy that now faces away from guests and is staring off into space well the real reason for that is the figure was in such bad condition due to lack of maintenance the budget didn't' allow for him to be restored. I also don't think they could come up with a more fact filled script with the new pacing of the attraction to meet their needs let alone several different ones to satisfy the different demongraphics.

Coaster_Chick!
02-08-2009, 03:03 PM
:number1:well i was @ disney last january and it was still the same.. i dont think they should make any changes @ all!! i love the nice classic version!!

Coaster_Chick!
02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
i was @ dw in january and i think the changes where good and bad.i really dont like the ending but i like the new begening i would recomend this for young children.:mickey:

Coaster_Chick!
02-08-2009, 04:27 PM
sty!! my firs post was about something else so just scatch that 1 out!!

DryCreek
02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Just got back from "The World" late (really, really late) last night.

The SSE descent still has the interactive thing. It was fun. I do miss the space station and other theming, but if nothing changed, why bother going back?

The first time through I did all of the button pushing, and then on the next time the DW did. It was entertaining, and the computer did a fair enough job of cut-and-paste to make it work.

For those of you that think the new ending is miserable, I can tell you - it can be much, much worse! What if the same bozo that screwed up the ride in the Mexico Pavilion was turned loose on the descent? Two other space ducks popping in and out looking for the missing Donald Duck Spaceship Pilot, totally distracting you from the original intent of the ride (communications through the ages).

DixieBelle
02-08-2009, 11:59 PM
"For those of you that think the new ending is miserable, I can tell you - it can be much, much worse!"..... DryCreek
You have a point.
I have been trying to remind myself, that at one time I was worried that SE was going to become a thrill ride. :rolleyes: