PDA

View Full Version : Fibbing about # in party for ressies

huzzah4
01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
OK, here's the deal, my wife and I love eating at WDW. Finding new and exciting restaraunts is one of the highlights of each trip that we take. Unfortunately, since we are a party of two we seem to get stuck in the crappiest tables, no room, behind the hostess stand, near the bathrooms or kitchen, etc. If we were to make the reservations for three people and then have our third person "not show up" we would obviously be seated at a better table, but will we eventually be in trouble for doing this? I would really like a better table (it stinks being treated as a second class citizen for having chosen to not reproduce), but I don't want to end up paying for an additional meal if we are caught. I need some opinions on how to approach this.

DizneyRox
01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
You'll probably still be seated at a table for two.

And everyone needs to be there when you check in, so before your table is assigned, they will know you have only two people.

BTW - I have not experienced this bad location problem and I usually go with only one other person. Might just be bad luck...

InLikeSin
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
I am no expert but I don't think they would give you a 3 or 4 top table if you inform them your other party isn't showing up... seems to me they would just make you wait for an available table for 2. You'd be at the same tables and your wait time might increase if theres not a 2 person table ready at your ADR time. Im sure someone will correct this if im wrong

SBETigg
01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
There are a number of WDW restaurants that won't seat you until all of your party shows up. There's a chance that if you drop from three to two, you will lose the ADR-- but I can't imagine them actually not seating you in that case. They're usually pretty accommodating. I wouldn't fib or fudge, though. I would wait until you get to your table and then if it doesn't suit you, ask to change tables. You may have to be willing to wait a bit, depending on availability.

faline
01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
For most of our dining reservations, we're a party of two and I've never noticed that I've gotten bad tables because of that. In fact, we've even had the same table for the two of us at Le Cellier that we had as a party of four. I'd suggest you be truthful when you make your reservations.

By the way, Intercot's terms of service prohibit discussions of "beating the system".

Ian
01-26-2009, 06:41 PM
You would definitely just get a table for two. I've actually had this happen to me legitimately and we've always ended up with a table for two.

They won't waste a four person table on you when they could seat a walk-up there.

sassafras
01-26-2009, 07:31 PM
My sister and I were at Port Orleans a couple of years ago and the concierge was trying to find us a time to go to Boatwrights. It was HER suggestion and she made the reservation for 3 to get us a table. Told us to just tell them the extra person had gotten sick and had to stay at home. No one ever questioned us as to where the third party was; however, I can't say it got us any better or worse table. I'd say just go as 2.

irish1967
01-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Hmmm - I think the concierge CMs probably play by a different set of rules than the guests do and what she did was within her authority.

But, I digress - to the OP - we have requested table changes for a variety of reasons and while we may have ended up waiting a bit for another table, our requests have never been turned down. That is the route I would take.

goofy78
01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
i would have to say be honest. it is the best policy! as for seating arrangements, just tell them that you would like to have a great table location or a great view from your table. you may wait a few more minutes to get this but it's worth it in my opinion. also, see if when you make the ADR that they put a note in there stating that you have a seating preference. either way just be honest with them. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
01-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I would choose to be honest, if you are unhappy with where you are seated, ask to be moved, as simple as that!!
However, as another poster said, we had the same experience of concierge making an ADR for us for a different number of people in our party then what we actually had. They told us to let them know that one of them couldn't show up. We thought it was uncomfortable, we weren't looking to do that, but sure enough, we were seated at our last minute ADR at Kona within a half an hour. I guess that is up to their discretion??

Ksmith75
01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
My husband and I are a party of two and yes, we sometimes get not so good seats. At the Whispering Canyon - we had a seats off of the main restaurant - so we missed all the excitement and were kinda bummed. Our server said that they usually seat people with kids in the main part. But our server made sure we had a good time. We still only make res's for 2 people though....I wouldnt want a larger party to not be able to make an adr....

Dragongirlx
01-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I go with my sister and we always make reservations for two. The only time we ever had a bad table was in the sci fi diner ( and the whole experieince was pretty bad).
I suggest honesty is the best policy and if you aren't happy at were you are seated ask to be moved ( as previous people have suggested)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I've seen at Wolfgang waiters seat 1 person at a 4 top and put us at a 4 top behind the swinging doors to the drink station. It was really quite annoying but we requested a nice view. The view was of a tree and part of the lake.

Typically, being honest helps. If you don't like it, you can ask to be moved. That's what the hospitality industry is supposed to do - serve their customers. If they make a fuss over it, politely ask to speak to a manager.

megustamex
01-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm surprised the "3rd person didn't show up" works. We had a reservation for 6 at Boma and my aunt and uncle decided they didn't want to eat there. So when we got there as a party for 4 they made us wait longer so that they could change us to a table for 4. It was really bad because it seemed like we were waiting as long as some people who were just walking up without reservations. So I don't know if lying would work everywhere anyway.

jcvalenti
01-27-2009, 04:04 PM
2 tops are the most flexible seating in a restaurant. Adding more to the party would almost assuredly reduce the availability of ADRs, or their ability to seat you promptly.

If you have concerns about seating, I would just bring it up when checking in. I've asked for certain areas in restaurants, and have always been accomodated. For instance, when we travel with the kid, I always ask to be seated away from the kitchen, since sometimes the kid will spring up from the chair and I don't want him getting smacked by a hurried waiter rushing through the door.

It's never been a problem for me ... so I'd just be honest and upfront about what you want.

WelshieLover
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I woudl not make an ADR for 3. However, don't be shy about asking for a better table. When we were at the Crystal Palace on January 9th, they tried to seat our party of 6 adults at a table meant to seat 4 comfortably. I told them that was not going to work. We had to wait 5 minutes but we did get a better table and they were very nice about it.

katzctkpt
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
...from what I can gather they are pretty stringent about seating you when all the party is present....this past December at LTT our latter half of the party was en route, and on the cell phone with us, but they made us wait anyway.....

.....about lying, why ?? that would most likley cheat a "real" family of 3 out of dinner....plus, as stated earlier by a mod, discussing cheating is a NO NO ......:cool:

mrmcgiv
01-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Last trip we went (party of 4) and I swear we got the worst tables ever and it effected the trip and dining experience. At Ohana I did not even realize we could see the castle lit up, we were by the bathroom in a corner. At Le Cellier we were right by the Hostess table and the kitchen...it was awful. At Chef Mickey we were out in the open area upon entering that looked like a cafeteria. At Coral Reef we got a good Table. At Whisperign Canyon our server was lousy..no fun..not one fun comment....so to me our seating was not great. Other servers had a blast..not ours. 1900 ParkAfre - Good table - good service - good food. Crystal palace -all good there too.

When I requested a certain type of table upon checking in the nostessjust looked at me like I had 6 heads...we were not accomodated at all.

Good Luck with Good Tables

Disney_Barbie
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
i would have to say be honest. it is the best policy! Just tell them that you would like to have a great table location or a great view from your table. you may wait a few more minutes to get this but it's worth it in my opinion.

I agree. Be honest. We are 99% of the time a party for 2 and ALWAYS seem to "luck out" at our tables. However, most of the time I have scoped out the restaurants and decided where I want to sit (IE - a booth, a table by the window, inside, outside, ect) and I generally tell them this when booking & again when checking in & MOST IMORTANTLY mention that we'll be glad to wait longer to accomodate our table choice (AND HONESTLY MEAN IT : we do not hassle the host staff if we don't get seated in the next 10 mins) and it ALWAYS seems to work for us.
Some highlights of our fav's tables include :
a PERFECT window table @ Cali Grill, looking STRAIGHT at the castle during Wishes
A window view @ Capn'Jacks facing the water @ sunset
An large outdoor table @ Tony's where we not only got a GREAT view of Spectromagic, but could also see most of wishes, Our server mentioned it was the ONLY table @ tony's you can see the fireworks from. You generally can't because of the other buildings inthe way, but the slants of the roofs and stuff worked out just perfect so we could see the high fireworks.
An illuminations view table @ Rose & crown.
A LARGE booth (seriously, you could have fit 5-6 in there) facing the aquarium @ Coral Reef
Oh, and FYI we go in Aug when it's super busy & there is the free dinning, so it's not like we're lucking out due to a slow season.

We've also had our room upgraded 3 times, been given free admission to the P&P party & are often receiving free drinks & desserts @ WDW resturants, along with @ home & other vacations. Some might say we're "lucky" but I like to think that the CMs take note and appreciate good old fashioned manners :)