PDA

View Full Version : Getting around MK...

kid@heartforever
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
The first time we went to WDW was 1999. The skyway in MK was still up, but we never got to ride it because it was not working most of the time. I know there's the railroad, but what other things could be added to get from one end of the park to the other faster? What would you like to see added to make this happen? Lets play!!! :mickey:

EditReject
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
A teleportation device. But seriously, I do not think there needs to be anything. The MK is not too terribly large of a park. If the park is not too crowded and I am by myself, I can get from one end of the park to another in about 10 minutes.

dmosher
01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
I sat bring Mr Toads Wild Ride back as and underground way of getting from one side of the park to the other! hehe
Or a mining ride from Atlantis!
:pipes:
D

joonyer
01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I think they should extend the TTA (people mover) with some additional lines and stations. Although it is not particularly fast, it is continuous loading and it would give you a chance to rest and sight-see while getting from one side of the MK to the other.

My other radical idea: A high speed subway! One side of the park to the other in 30 seconds! it could be sort of a thrill ride.

OR: Elevated moving sidewalks (like at airports, etc.)

Imagineer1981
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
The railroad actually is a decent mode of transportation. It has 3 stops which isn't too bad. While I'd like to see TTA expanded, I'd only like to see it expanded in tomorrowland

handmaidenofprincesses
01-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I'd like to see the TTA expanded as well. There's something magical about seeing Tomorrowland from up there. But I want the skyway back as well! Why did they ever take it down??

Giggy
01-27-2009, 03:24 PM
They could do something seperate between Tomorrowland and either Frontierland or Liberty Square. One way it could be advertised as a time machine into the past, the other way could be advertised as a look into the future.

joonyer
01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
. . . But I want the skyway back as well! Why did they ever take it down??

There are several reasons why the Skyway at MK was removed:
1. It was in violation of the ADA. It was almost impossible to get handicapped riders on board and you had to stop the ride to do that. And wheelchairs would not fit into the Gondolas. The expenses of making it ADA compliant along with the fact that it was also
2. Very slow loading (low through-put of riders), and
3. there were irresponsible riders (mostly teens) spitting and throwing items from the gondolas, and
5. Not to mention the fact the the DisneyLand version was closed due to the support towers developing cracks, and,
6. Also a CM was killed working in one of the stations (swept off the platform and fell 40 feet) during the time that Disney was considering whether to keep the ride due to the above reasons,

All sort of sealed the decision for Disney to remove the attraction.

And if that's not enough, on one occasion a guest jumped from one of the gondolas and fell about 20 feet in to a tree. Injured, he filed suit against Disney, claiming negligence, but it was later dismissed after he admitted that he had intentionally jumped from the gondola.

Unfortunately, we all lose when Disney has to protect itself and others from idiots.

rkwctw
01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
We like the TTA and are upset it will be closed when we go this summer. It would be great if it could be expanded to other parts of the parks, because it is shaded and you can sit down and rest and it is not to loud.
:mickey:

DryCreek
01-27-2009, 06:37 PM
3. there were irresponsible riders (mostly teens) spitting and throwing items from the gondolas

Speaking of "dropping" things from the gondola's, some of you can climb into your "wayback machine" with me and reminisce about one of the favorite pastimes, circa 1980 - trying to drop a penny into the Dixie Cups the sailors from Orlando Recruit Training Command wore while on liberty. I was targeted once, and it was a nickel! Luckily, after first liberty you didn't have to wear your uniform when off base. Also, during the whole time I was back on base (NTC side, Nuclear Power School, returned in 1981) I went in civvies. Ahhh, the days - even before EPCOT!

Now, unless you speak to an old-timer resident, you wouldn't even know that the Navy had a large base there, would you? On weekends, easily 1/4 of the crowd would be members of our USN!