PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours

goofy78
01-24-2009, 10:09 PM
its been a while since i have been to WDW and i was wondering if there have been any recent changes to star tours (since 2005). i saw the renovation after the phantom menace came out but was wondering if they have done anything since. :yoda:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Everything looked the same to me last Sept.

tadshome
01-25-2009, 02:58 AM
I didn't notice any changes :mickey:

missymouseworld
01-25-2009, 06:28 AM
My DS 6, is a Star Wars fan, big time, and is looking forward to our April trip to go to the Star Tours attraction. My question is, is it suitable for a 6 year old and what is the height restriction? Can someone describe the attraction for me so if it is not suitable for him, I can slowly diffuse his excitement!
Thanks.

mrsgaribaldi
01-25-2009, 07:32 AM
My DS 6, is a Star Wars fan, big time, and is looking forward to our April trip to go to the Star Tours attraction. My question is, is it suitable for a 6 year old and what is the height restriction? Can someone describe the attraction for me so if it is not suitable for him, I can slowly diffuse his excitement!
Thanks.

It's a motion simulator ride, like Body Wars in Epcot if you've ever done that. There are about 5 rows of 6 each in front of the screen. It's not really scary. The height requirement forStar Tours is 40 inches (102 cm). Children under 3 are not permitted to ride; children under 7 must be accompanied by an adult.

rkwctw
01-25-2009, 01:39 PM
We did not notice any major changes last year either. My DD is a big Star Wars fan as well and rode the first time when she was five years old and loved it. We will be in WDW in June for the Stars Wars weekend, counting down the days.

EditReject
01-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I was there in August and Dec and there have been no changes to the actual ride. As a Star Wars geek, I still love it every time I go on it though.

As far as youngsters going on the ride, my 4 year old nephew (who met the height restriction) enjoyed it. I think he got more of a kick out of the actual in-ship robot than what was on the screen.

dmosher
01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
While there are proposed changes for Start Tours and it has been released that there is a team working on an upgrade for it, don't expect to see it any time soon. No other information has been released and anything else about it would have to move this topic over to the Rumors section of the forum I think. But as it stands, no changes have been made or will be for some time.
:pipes:
D

AmandaChan
01-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Not that I've noticed. It still makes me nauseous :)

KylesMom
01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
i saw the renovation after the phantom menace came out but was wondering if they have done anything since. Although they may have changed a bit of the outside Ewok Village, added the Jedi Training stage and do change minor things to the queue occassionally, the actual film is the same one that originally showed in 1989.

Rumours come and go about how Disney's been working on an upgrade with Lucas, but nothing has come to fruition.

My DS 6, is a Star Wars fan, big time, and is looking forward to our April trip to go to the Star Tours attraction. My question is, is it suitable for a 6 year old and what is the height restriction? This ride is often more difficult on the parents than it is on the kids. If you or anyone in your party is prone to motion sickness, request sitting in the first row. As far as being suitable for a 6-year old, the theming is great.

If your child does not make the height requirement, ask if they can run a "flight check" for you. This is where they show the movie, but the simulator is not in motion. We would do this for DS from ages 3 through 5. Of course, at age 6 I could no longer keep making excuses, so we then started going on the full-motion ride. This is the only ride at Disney that messes with my tummy. Well, I'm sure Mission:Space Orange Team would, but I refuse to ride that one! I should add that if the park is overly busy, or it is Star Wars Weekends, they will decline to do the Flight Check.

missymouseworld
01-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks to all for the information. However, the little guy may have to wait for a "flight check" because my husband and I are not good on motion sickness rides. I know I won't be able to get around it, he is looking forward to it. I will just ask the CM and see what happens from there. It doesn't help that my other children (12,15) are ride "chickens" and the 6 year old goes on more rides than them. :mickey:

LarryBoy
01-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I hope you talk someone into riding this with your 6 year old. My DS started riding ST at 3.5 and has loved it ever since. He actually fell in love with Star Wars because of the ride, but any young Star Wars fan will love ST. If you can't get anybody to ride with him, you at least need to take him to the gift shop.

missymouseworld
01-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Looks like moms going to have to take the hit.
Thanks..........:sick:

Septbride2002
01-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Have your husband waiting for you outside with a bottle of water and sit down right away. I get a little queesy after motion rides but if I sit down afterwards and drink some cold water it usually passes pretty quickly. Also try not eat anything right before you get on.

~Amanda

TinkerMel
01-26-2009, 11:51 AM
My DS loved it when he was 3 when it was all over. However, on the way in, he was not so sure because he didn't like darkness on the rides. When the lights went out to begin, he was scared, but then he was fine. He loved it when we were leaving, and can't wait to do it again in May.
I, on the other hand, felt myself getting sick and just closed my eyes. I was fine as long as I was not looking at the screen. I'm going to try to keep my eyes closed from the beginning next time, so I don't have that unpleasant sensation at all. Good luck!

missymouseworld
01-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Good advice, hopefully it will work.:mickey:

dfamasb
01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
My step-dad gets ill on all the motion simulators, but he finds that if he takes a dramamine an hour or so before he rides he's just fine. Might be worth a shot!

Imagineer1981
01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
The ride is still exactly the same as it always has been minus a few minor theming changes as mentioned. The worse change was when they has an authentic movie costume of Darth Vader at the ramp exiting the ride and it got replaced with a tv with the Energizer Bunny...TERRIBLE!!!!

handmaidenofprincesses
01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks to all for the information. However, the little guy may have to wait for a "flight check" because my husband and I are not good on motion sickness rides. I know I won't be able to get around it, he is looking forward to it. I will just ask the CM and see what happens from there. It doesn't help that my other children (12,15) are ride "chickens" and the 6 year old goes on more rides than them. :mickey:

I wouldn't worry too much; I'm not great with motion simulators but Star Tours is one of my favorite rides! However, if you do find yourself getting a bit queasy, try to focus on the robotic pilot instead of the movie screen. Also, as a PP said, request seats in the front row- there's more room and it's always seemed much smoother to me.

Stu29573
01-27-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm not great with motion rides (Rockin RollerCoaster made me sick as a dog, and don't even ask about the old Body Wars ride), but I've never had an issue on Star Tours. By the way, I've found that closing my eyes makes it worse...:mickey:

joelkfla
01-27-2009, 09:48 AM
, as a PP said, request seats in the front row- there's more room and it's always seemed much smoother to me.
Sea World used to have a viewing port where you could watch their Ice Station Arctic (or whatever) simulator in action. It's the same technology, and the back of the cabin clearly moved more aggressively than the front.

missymouseworld
01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh no...what to do...now that I know all this, I probably made it worse for myself. Maybe I can bribe one of my other children to go on....money always works!;)

KylesMom
01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Quite honestly, I can control the queasiness as long as I look at my feet most of the time and sit in the front row. I certainly didn't want to scare you, just warn you to be prepared on what to expect.

Maybe I can bribe one of my other children to go on....money always works! That solution works too! :D

missymouseworld
01-27-2009, 05:17 PM
I would rather be prepared than be surprised and be sick the rest of the day. Thanks.:D

linedropper
01-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Good ride but let down with the overall experience. Very star wars like on the outside but once in you see c 3po and maybe a little r2d2 but other then that it is nothing like star wars! It just could have been done alot better! Scene and ride have nothing to do with star wars! And the character from short circuit is the driver!

Steve:mickey:

goofy78
01-28-2009, 04:50 AM
The ride is still exactly the same as it always has been minus a few minor theming changes as mentioned. The worse change was when they has an authentic movie costume of Darth Vader at the ramp exiting the ride and it got replaced with a tv with the Energizer Bunny...TERRIBLE!!!!

I remeber when that was taken away, didn't they have a storm trooper as well?

Imagineer1981
01-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I remeber when that was taken away, didn't they have a storm trooper as well?

I think they did have a Storm Trooper too. Sad, sad, sad