PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Looking for a Job?

mjaclyn
01-24-2009, 04:29 PM
You can count me in as one of those people who were laid off from their job in 2008. I've exhausted my unemployment benefits (including extensions) and still haven't been able to find work. I have my resume posted on a number of online job sites, have been on a few interviews, and check for new jobs in our weekly newspaper and local internet sites. I'm a Graphic Designer and I just don't think there is much out there right now. I remember calling about a freelance job I found in the newspaper and the hiring manager said she'd already had 45 calls in an hour and a half! The market is just terrible right now - at least where I live.

Now I'm starting to look beyond my field for possible options. The problem is I'd really like to do something part time or from home since I have a 2 1/2 year old and I'm also expecting #2 in May. I was thinking about taking the test for Census work since a bunch of my other 'mommy' friends have done that.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone know of any legitimate companies that employ people at home? A friend of mine worked for 1-800-Flowers for awhile taking orders over the phone. Of course, it's definitely not my ideal job and pays a lot less than what I normally make in my own field, but something is better than nothing right?

handmaidenofprincesses
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I lost all three of my part-time jobs within the space of a week after the stock market went all woogity, and I've been unable to find anything else since. I've even applied at Walmart and Target, etc, and although they say "Now Hiring" they don't seem to be hiring me!

It's getting really old, really fast. I'm down to about $300 in my bank account and I'm going to have to start borrowing money from my parents in order to pay for gasoline to get to and from school (which isn't going to make my parents terribly happy either) But, I guess I'll just keep applying!

Prayers and pixie dust to everybody else who's currently unemployed :pixie:

sassafras
01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
My son is a graphic artist and lost his job at a newspaper late in the summer of 08 when they downsized. Like you, he has been unable to find anything in his field in this area of the country. Fortunately, he did find employment in quality auditing at a media company. I had no idea what he did until he called one day and asked if I had gotten a new cruise line video from Disney lately since he had just audited about 60,000 of them!
Hopefully, things will pick back up eventually and both you and he can find work in your usual field!

cindchan
01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
I've managed to hold onto a job. My best friend, on the other hand, hasn't have a full time permanent job in six years. And it looks like the company his wife works for, is going belly up.

Fun times.

RenDuran
01-24-2009, 09:29 PM
My husband's company has laid off several hundred people over the past year, and the employees that are left are working shorter work weeks.

Good luck in your search!

azdisneymom
01-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I work for an elementary school district and they are cutting back too. 3 of my friends who are instructional assistants in kindergarten were told they would not be rehired for next school year. The district is eliminating their position all together. That means there will be about 90+ people looking for a job come May. Not sure if mine is next to be eliminated.

These are tough times for all. You wil be in my thoughts.

beksy
01-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Well I wasn't laid off since I didn't have a job to begin with but I need to find a summer job so that when this semester ends I can still pay rent and have water. Ideally I'd find a job in a law office and have put out applications for that but I'm not going to be really particular with the current job market. To make things more difficult I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I need a job where I'm not standing much or walking or really doing much physically. I've looked into things to do from home but it's hard to find anything legitimate. Good luck!

tinksmom02
01-24-2009, 11:11 PM
I was laid off at the end of August. Fortunately, I ws able to get a job, in the field I want to be working in, this January. I hope everyone else can find work soon, too!

dmosher
01-24-2009, 11:38 PM
This crunch is not just in the states either. I am a Makeup and Special Effects Engineer waaaay over here in New Zealand, and we are currently without work as well. The crunch is apparently hitting everyone, worldwide! I have started looking for work well outside my field as well. Take heart though, with any luck it will pick up for all of us soon.
:pipes:
D

murphy1
01-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I think things absolutely stink right now. We are lucky dh has a job, I do freelance, but it's not our main income. I am hopeful that in the next couple years things are going to get better for so many. I was a transcriptionist (at home) two years ago got bloody bored out of my mind, I am a people person.

offwego
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
It's not from home (or perhaps it could be) but have you considered contacting temp agencies?

Many people still need some relief help for peak times but don't want the hassle of a permenant employee and so go that route. It's worth looking into at least.

murphy1
01-26-2009, 03:15 PM
That is a great idea, I temp'd when I graduated from college in the recession of '90 and I enjoyed it and got paid really well.

I can't believe how bad this is, my poor neighbor who was laid off and has a college degree and ton of work experience can't even get a job at our local Wal-Mart!!

LauraleeH
01-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I can't believe how bad this is, my poor neighbor who was laid off and has a college degree and ton of work experience can't even get a job at our local Wal-Mart!!
That honestly makes me sad. I can't get a job at Target and I never went to college, so I can't imagine how upset I would be if I had spent all that time and money in college and still couldn't get a job at Wal-Mart. It's seriously scary these days...