PDA

View Full Version : Norway Movie?

SubNET3
01-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Has anyone actually ever sat through the Norway film after Maelstrom? Is it worth it? People always bolt through the theatre right to the other side, and I went on Maelstrom twice 2 weeks ago and they were not evening playing it anymore just had all doors open. :party:

Altair
01-23-2009, 07:25 PM
We watch it once a trip. It's only about 5 or 10 minutes long.
When this pavilion first opened they tried very hard to make you stay and watch. It was kind of sad.:mickey:

SubNET3
01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
yea I remember that, they would keep the doors closed until a line formed at the ride exit then open one set keeping the others closed lol. Everyone would just line up at the exit doors.

cindchan
01-23-2009, 08:21 PM
I do, because I enjoy watching shows about other countries. They are informative and have some great scenery shots.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-23-2009, 08:35 PM
I've watched everytime I've gone. I enjoy the scenery in the films, the information, etc. But I'm a trivia nut and like things like that.

Maleficent_vf
01-23-2009, 10:05 PM
We've watched it a couple of times and skipped out a couple of times. It depends on whether we want to sit for a little while or we're anxious to get on to other things.

I'm a little attached to it as one of the little old ladies shown walking down the street in one of the scenes looks very much like a favorite great aunt. It's always nice to get a glimpse of Auntie Esther's look-a-like. :blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
I watched it when it first opened but we've skipped it in recent years.

MegPeg85
01-24-2009, 12:14 AM
The past several times I've ridden Maelstrom the movie hasn't been playing - they have just been letting people walk right through. Sadly, on my most recent trip, Maelstrom was closed temporarily :(

ILoveLegos
01-24-2009, 12:27 AM
I've watched it every time, except once. It was an EMH night and my group was really tired so we welcomed the opportunity to see the 'viking movie' we sat and waited about 30 minutes in total. Some of my friends left the theater to listen to the man & woman in conversation in the house before you see the movie. People would come sit with us a while and then wonder on through. We really started to get the giggles when so much time had past and they didn't start the movie. Then it became really funny to us because they finally sent a cast member to tell us that the movie wasn't going to be shown that night! We were hysterical by then, of course we didn't mind the wait because we really enjoyed exploring the little details of the attraction and we were enjoying one another's company. But I could imagine that the average person would not have found loosing a half hour in Epcot much fun on a EMH. I'm practically a "full time local" with an annual pass so I didn't mind waiting at all. :blush:
Back to the original question, I really like the movie, it's a combination of things, to me it's something about the little boy touching the viking ship, the narrator, the old woman crossing the street, the man sleeping as he was supposed to be painting, the ballerinas and the girl belting the other girl in the stomach in the museum, and the sled ride feels like home to me, and I'm not even Norwegian - I just really-really like the movie I guess. :thumbsup:

Mandykay
01-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I watch it about every other time. It's a quick look into Norway and some extra time in an air-conditioned theater. I always encourage the newbies I have with me to watch it at least once. I hope they start/keep playing it!

A Big Kid
01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I dont think I have ever seen it. I have always thought that it should be played BEFORE you get on the Maelstom.

WDW_Obsessed
01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
We watch it every time. I love the scenery in the film, and it's only about 5 minutes long (I think). But I will admit that it could use a bit of an update...

DakotaDisney
01-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I like the movie, but I haven't watched it every time I have gone on the ride.

I have watched it about once a trip.

It it to bad it was put at the end like that, because most people sadly won't stop to watch it.

dtootsie42
01-24-2009, 02:05 PM
We like the movie but don't always stay to watch.

Mrs Bus Driver
01-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I have only been once and stayed for the movie. I liked it but DD (21) thought it was to corny.

handmaidenofprincesses
01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I personally love the movie, and would like to stay for it every time if I could. It's short and the scenery is amazing. Unfortunately, it's hard to always convince everyone in my party that it's worth it...:(

dmosher
01-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree, it's actually a very good movie and if you haven't seen it in YEARS, it has been updated as well. If you have never seen it, it is definitely worth sitting down for a few minutes and watching. You may actually LEARN something. Seriously! Norway is a beautiful and culturally rich country and worth spending a few minutes to learn about. See... holidays (vacations) can be fun and educational.
:pipes:
D

goofy78
01-24-2009, 09:30 PM
We've watched it a couple of times and skipped out a couple of times. It depends on whether we want to sit for a little while or we're anxious to get on to other things.

exactly my answer as well. although i do enjoy the film and like watching it every time i ride maelsrom, i have skipped it to get to a dinner reservation. i would encourage everyone who hasn't seen it to sit down for a few minutes and take your mind off the trolls! it is informative and has some great views of norway.

kemps@wdw
01-24-2009, 11:35 PM
I ashamed to say that we have not viewed the movie during any of our trips. :blush: However, as our DD has become somewhat of a norwegian fan, I'm guessin we will be on our next trip in Oct...can't wait!!:yay:

Mr. Incredible
01-24-2009, 11:53 PM
I've probably been on Maelstrom 15 times and I have never once seen the movie. Maybe next time. :blush:

PetefromRI
01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I think it's an awesome film,just a little to short though.The last time we started to watch it a CM announced in a very nervous manner that we were all to leave the movie at once.I thought that maybe there was a fire but we noticed that people were still heading into the boat ride.Maybe it was just time for a coffee break;).

Gator
01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I've been on it a dozen times, at least, but I've only seen the movie twice. I saw it the first time I rode Maelstrom on my first trip. Didn't watch on my second trip. I did watch it on my third trip and remembered how good it was and how beautiful Norway is. This last trip, I skipped it because my kids are too young to tolerate a non-cartoon/non-3D movie. It should be updated a little.

SubNET3
01-26-2009, 04:44 AM
I am the type that HAS to see everything in Disney, well as much as I can, so next time it is playing I will see it. I still need to see the rest of the china film (Illuminations was starting so I bolted!) and Canada too! :mickey:

MickeysEars
01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I watch it EVERYTIME!!! I love it, to me it is EPCOT

Pagan
01-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I do, because I enjoy watching shows about other countries. They are informative and have some great scenery shots.
I second that.

Imagineer1981
01-26-2009, 02:38 PM
It doesn't help that the film is dated much like the Canada film was. The film is grainy and looks old. I especially hate that you have to wait at the boat docks for 5 minutes or so sometimes waiting for the film to end before you even have the option of skipping it. I would like to see Maelstrom redone as a longer attraction like Splash with more drops and then make the video part of the preshow or something

PinKy
01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
We generally watch it everytime we go on the ride - just to get the "full effect" - its a really pretty movie and its not long.

pixiesmimi
01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
We don't usually stay for it but did the last trip because we were trying to experience everything and not in a hurry. But I do think they should redo the whole thing and maybe put the movie at the beginning of the ride if they want people to stay and see it. We started to watch it one time and everyone else was walking through and out the exit so we decided they weren't going to show anything and followed the others. It is just kind of strange, like an after thought.

lindique
01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I stay and watch it most of the time, mainly because I've been to Norway (gorgeous country with wonderful people) and I recognize some of the places in the movie.

I agree that some parts of the film are dreadfully outdated - they show a computer in one scene that looks like it was built in the garage at the top of the Spaceship Earth ride!!:D

One way to solve this continuing problem is to show mostly historical sites in these movies - the film in the French pavilion is actually older, but doesn't show it as much because they show mostly the famous castles and other things that haven't changed in 100's of years.

King Triton
01-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I actually try to watch it once each trip. Its getting old, but it was the only one of the country movies that actually made me want to visit the country.

One poster made an interesting comment...perhaps they should show the movie before Maelstrom instead of after.

Sylvia
01-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm another one who stays and watches the movie every time. I actually enjoy waiting on the docks for the doors to open. And I also enjoy browsing through the shops and taking a photo of the giant troll. :blush:

GoldenDreams
01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I love this movie!!!! I love it so much that once when we our trip was almost over and we were out of time, we skipped the ride and snuck in the exit so that we could see the movie one more time. I love the music, I love the parade scene, I love the lady walking down the street. The only part I don't care for is the woman's fake laugh when the kid is running around outside.

When we were there in November, they were allowing people to go right through, but we sat and waited and they did play it after a few groups had gone through.

If you haven't seen it, I would obviously recommend it. :thumbsup:

Melanie
01-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I love the movie, but agree it could be updated and I like the idea of a previous poster who said it should be shown before Maelstrom. I like when the boy is touching the ship and it's all quiet and then BOOM! :D Very nostalgic for me.

Bobby T
01-29-2009, 02:01 AM
How else will you find out what the "Spirit of Norway" is without watching the film? :D

All kidding aside, Epcot is a place to take your time and not rush and run. In that vein, watching the Norway movie is an authentic Epcot experience and should be relished.

Crow
01-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Ive watched it a few times...and i have also bypassed it. it could stand an update.
might watch it in April as I will be w the nephews who have never been to WDW