PDA

View Full Version : Evening EMH at AK - worth it or too crowded?

ewasilau
01-23-2009, 01:52 PM
I've been reading that parks with evening EMH often are the most crowded. We have a tentative plan for our family trip next week that includes going to AK in the afternoon and staying for evening EMH (on Wed. Jan. 27). It would be our first time there, and we have 3 kids, all under 5. What's open during evening EMH? They won't be doing the major rides (though DH and I might try to hit 1 or 2), so should we skip it then and go another time? (we do plan to go there twice, though not for full days, during our 5 park days as our kids LOVE animals) Should our first visit there be at another time/day?

joelkfla
01-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Based on bus ridership, I think DAK is pretty empty during EMH, especially after the 1st hour.

But that's probably because the Safari, both animal trails, and 2 of the 3 shows are closed. Flights of Wonder usually has it's last performance around 3 p.m., and Finding Nemo between 4 & 5.

FOTLK does have a show during EMH, usually during the 1st hour.

Obviously, your kids will not be riding Everest, Dinosaur, or Primeval Whirl. That leaves the ITTBa Bug 4D movie, TriceraTops Spin, and possibly Kali River Rapids (38" height requirement). There are a limited number of characters available.

bshaw96
01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
We did AK during EMH on our 2006 trip and loved it! We virtually had the park to ourselves. The animal exhibits/rides close around 5 I believe it was, and a lot of people left. We rode EE like 3 or 4 times that night. And we went during the busy summer months. Now MK EMH was a whole different monster!

#1donaldfan
01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
:thumbsup:.....we love AK late evening into the EMH's.....you'll have a bunch of fun, believe me....:thumbsup:

mrmcgiv
01-23-2009, 06:05 PM
We went in Dec..Itw as worth it, but make sure you know what is open durn EMH so you can save it for night time. It was limited but we found plenty to do!! And the kids LOVED the boneyard..which we missed last trip!!!!

Also if you are going late in the day PLAN b/c you have to hit shows at certain times. We liked nemo(I think the last show was at 4:45) a lot and I bet your kids would too. I think there is one EMH Lion King show. We wanted to see flights of wonder (bird show) but we could now fit it all in.

EeyoresBestFriend
01-23-2009, 06:32 PM
AK at night has a completely different feel and we absolutely LOVE it! :dance: It is way quieter and has almost a romantic feel to it ~:heart:
We always try to catch at least one Evening with them . . .

ThanxForNoticin
01-23-2009, 07:41 PM
I think your plan sounds fine. If you are there in the afternoon, make sure you get to enjoy the animals - the safari, perhaps a walking trail, and maybe Rafiki's Conservation Station. After 5:00, the animals are not available, so you can enjoy some of the attractions like Tough to be a Bug, and some of the fun in Dinoland. The EMH at AK will not be terribly crowded at the end of Jan. You won't need to worry about waiting long for most attractions. If you can catch a Nemo show and/or the Lion King show, you're kids will enjoy it a lot. Have a great time.

PeterPan
01-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Well, AK is just very special to my family. We went many times before we ever had an opportunity to be in the park after dark! You know, for a few years after it opened, it was closed before dark every single day! I think they felt like if you could not see the animals, then you should not be in the park. I am so glad they changed that philosophy - and really I think the EMH happened after there was actually SOMETHING TO DO at AK at night.

AK in the dark is nothing short of MAGICAL. The whole place has such an earthy vibe during the day, but at night...it is just OOOZING a kind of wild/tamed quiet charm.

Why not go? What have you got to loose? You have paid for the priviledge of EMH by being a Resort Guest. Try it for yourself! It is the only way for you to see if your family will fall in love with AK (especially after dark) the way my family has.

I KNOW you will have a ball at AK EMH.

kemps@wdw
01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Not to dis anyones elses preferences, but we never do EMHs @ any park. Have always found the crowds too large for our tastes. :shrug: