PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to write a book for Wish Organizations

Hayden's Dad
01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't know if this should go here or somewhere else feelfre to move it.

I want to write a guide book that could be given to families going to Disney for "wishes" like Make a Wish, and Give Kids the World. I found when we went with Hayden in October on his Make a Wish Trip that alot of the families were very lost as to what to do when to do it and where to go. Fortunately We had our family here to help us most other's aren't that lucky.

We already voluteer with our local Hospice group to help families here, but this could be a guide book for Wish Groups to give out or for any family with children or family members with disabilities to help them navigate the most magical place in the world.

What do you all think? Also does anyone know who I would need to contact to get permission to write the book from?

Thanks everyone. :mickey:

SBETigg
01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
That's a worthy enterprise, Kyle. You don't need permission to write something like that. You could contact the Make a Wish foundation or the individuals who helped you when you were there with Hayden for first-hand interviews/research resources to help give life to your project.

What you do need to do is write a good nonfiction proposal, and then query some agents and editors with the proposal to see if anyone would be interested in taking it on. Unless what you want is to make a smaller-scale sort of booklet to hand out at facilities to help people. In that case, it's something you could do on your own and perhaps you could solicit donations to help defray costs.

For more information on putting together a winning non-fiction proposal, you could do a Google search to see what you find online. Or, in the reference section at the bookstore or library, you could try to pick up a copy of Jeff Herman's Guide to Agents, Editors, and Publishers which is very helpful, updated annually, and contains everything you need to know about putting together your proposal and trying to sell it. I hope this helps to get you started.

Hayden's Dad
01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
But wouldn't I need permission from Disney to use pictures of their characters, Icons, and such? Especially since I am writing about them? Thanks so much for the advice just don't want to make my favorite place mad at me for copyright infringement.

VWL Mom
01-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Hopefully it is ok to post this link since it is for the WDW News site.http://www.wdwnews.com/ViewPressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=99972

Seems like it may be a place to start.

SBETigg
01-23-2009, 01:29 PM
As far as simply writing, I didn't think permissions would be needed, but obviously a guidebook needs some photo enhancement. They are protective and famously litigious, so it's probably wise to be cautious and I would hate to steer you wrong. As far as working with a publisher, the publisher would work with you to secure the necessary rights should they be interested in the project.

As far as working on your own, VWL Mom sent a great link, which does state that you need permission to use pictures of characters among other things. They might even take an interest and help you with your project, so it wouldn't hurt to contact someone at Disney.

irish1967
01-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Kyle - I wonder if you could start with contacting either Make a Wish or Give the Kids the World - I would imagine that either would have a legal liason, if not department, that could advise you on how to start.

Personally, I think it is a GREAT idea and I think you should definitely go for it. No reason why you can't get started while working out the legal aspects...

Stitchahula
01-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Kyle,
I just wanted to say how great I think you are. You are using your experience to try to make things easier for other families. What you are doing will make a difference to the families. Some might not have ever had been to disney and having a guide will be a great help to them. That way they won't need to try to figure things out and will just be able to enjoy themselves. Good luck with the book.

merlinmagic4
01-24-2009, 05:07 PM
I think it's a great idea! We had no information about Disney at all when we went courtesy of the Make a Wish Foundation in 2003. We didn't know about ADRs or special events or anything. Looking back I sure wish I had been more knowledgeable.

joanna71985
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
What a great idea! Best of luck with the book. :)

Hayden's Dad
01-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the link that was great and some great information. Thanks for the encouragement. I will let you all know how things go. :mickey:

dmosher
01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Yes actually, to use images of Disney, you will need to get permission. They are usually pretty eager to allow it especially in that case, but you should contact public relations:
Here is an official notice for guidebook publishers from WDW news.

I know some of the items here can be confusing, so if you need any help with it, let me know.
:pipes:
D
-----
Guidelines for Guidebook Media / Walt Disney World® Resort

Disney Destinations Public Relations at Walt Disney World® Resort welcomes coverage in Guidebooks. However, due to limited staffing, the proliferation of Guidebooks and the deep level of detail these books demand, Public Relations support is limited. Public Relations works with editors -- but is not responsible for the review of Guidebooks' editorial content for either comment or to validate the information contained in the Guidebooks.

Guidebooks can help themselves to develop accurate content by first checking their copy against information contained in two important online sources (both of which will also be invaluable to writers in the research that may precede any site visits* that they make):

( disneyworld.com, the consumer vacation-planning site filled with information about the Vacation Kingdom.

( wdwnews.com, a media-only site where writers and editors can access a wide array of information, from news releases to ongoing events. Please share the news of this important media research tool with your project colleagues. Visit often for news updates; the site is updated constantly.

Please note: the photos displayed on this news Web site are for professional news media use only. Public Relations has a separate set of images approved for use in Guidebooks.

*--site visits should be arranged and executed without the involvement of Public Relations. (This does not preclude the possibility that when Public Relations is working with a Guidebook, courtesy theme park admission tickets may be extended to writers and researchers on fact-finding visits.)

Guidelines for -- and advantages of -- use of Walt Disney World® Resort images in guidebooks

Each Guidebook request is handled on a case-by-case basis. After review of a request, a Guidebook that Public Relations determines it will work with may include Disney-provided images subject to guidelines and restrictions that will follow.

Disney-provided images have been reviewed to determine that they accurately portray Walt Disney World® Resort at the time they are made available. They also have been reviewed to assure they do not include equity entertainers requiring royalty payments or any prominently displayed individuals for whom a model release isn't on file. Furthermore, they have been cleared for use in regard to third party characters or properties incorporated in an attraction or ride or even in internal clearances relating to Disney characters that may be represented.

For a Guidebook with which Public Relations is working to use any of these Disney-provided images, the procedure is:

A catalogue of available approved Walt Disney World® Resort and Disney Cruise Line images will be provided for review to Guidebook editors with whom Public Relations at Walt Disney World® Resort is working.
Public Relations will require a permission letter agreement (prepared by Public Relations) to be executed. The letter will denote specific images from the catalogue (described above) that the Guidebook editor has requested to use. Guidebooks shall not have any right to use such selected images until the permission letter has been fully executed.
Use of images (photos, artwork or illustrations) depicting the characters that appear at Walt Disney World® Resort -- other than those included among approved Walt Disney World® Resort and Disney Cruise Line images for potential Guidebook use -- is prohibited.
Art that depicts Disney logos is prohibited.
The copyright notice as indicated in the permission agreement must accompany each and every Disney-supplied image.
Public Relations is unable to review photos obtained from other sources.
Walt Disney World® is a trademark and is not a geographic location. Walt Disney World® Resort is the correct reference to the place where attractions and facilities such as Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park and Downtown Disney® Area are located. Thus we promote the reference "Walt Disney World® Resort" in guidebook copy.
Used in the book title, "Walt Disney World® Resort" cannot be placed in a prominent fashion or in a size type or style to make it stand out more than any other feature on the guidebook's cover.

Guidelines subject to change without notice.

LibertyTreeGal
01-26-2009, 07:01 AM
I also think this is awesome! Kyle you are my hero!

Who wants to read a book written by someone who is on the outside and can only relate the concerns of people and situations he can't understand?

How about --

Hayden's Wish: Navigating the Walt Disney World Maze with a Wish Child

Too wordy I know, but I guarantee the people around here will support you every step of the way!

g8rgirl29
01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Kyle, You are truly inspirational!!! I wish you the best in this endeavor!!! You have so much experience with this that I think you are the perfect person to do this!!! :tink: Here is a little Pixie Dust to get you started :pixie:

beksy
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Just wanted to say that I agree with the above posters--you and your wife are truly inspirational in the way you want to give back and help others through the tough times you've endured. This book sounds like a wonderful idea and I agree that you are perfect to write it. You have an insiders perspective and know WDW! :mickey: