PDA

View Full Version : My Mom is torturing me!

Madame Leona
01-21-2009, 06:29 PM
My mom has me pricing out Disney vacations for March. DH and I had planned on taking a year off :( due to the economy but my mom is putting ideas in my head. I think she may want to pay for the room and tickets but I don't want to just come out and ask her if that is what she is planning. This is a tough one. I, also, don't know if I should tell DH about this or let her tell him. I'll probably have to throw her under the bus this time. I love her but.........

Beast_fanatic
01-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Maybe she's just trying to figure out if she can pay for a trip for you guys. :shrug:

Itchy
01-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I would try a little hint to find out what her intentions are.

Like mom who many people are you wanting to plan for? Ect.

If you really don't think you can or want to afford a trip this year, why dont you in a round about way hint that you dont think that you can afford the the trip.

I know that would put pressure on her and you but it better that thinking that you wanted to do something that you really had not planned on and cause hard feelings and possibly ruin the vacation.

Then its not money well spent.

Good luck,:mickey:

dnickels
01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't think you'd be throwing her under the bus to decline.

There are definitely ways to very politely tell someone that you'd prefer to stay closer to home this year. If she insists on paying for your vacation (wow I wish my parents did that!) you can always go somewhere closer and less expensive. I see you're in Michigan so there are one of the many beach towns along the lake or Tahquamenon falls state park in the upper peninsula. Maybe a visit to Toronto or whatever else you like. Sometimes on this board we forget there are other great vacation destinations beyond Disney :thumbsup:

SBETigg
01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I would just be honest with her from the start. Tell her you wish you could go to WDW this year but you were taking a year off due to the economy and see what she says. If she's not planning for you to go with her, she will most likely respond in a way that will fill you in to her intentions. And further, I would tell my husband what was going on before I let my mother tell him. My advice would be to not be passive in decisions that will affect you. It's not throwing her under the bus, it's being active in your own decision making and planning.

Madame Leona
01-27-2009, 09:44 AM
When I said I was going to throw my mom under the bus, I meant I would let her talk to my husband. We haven't completely ruled out Disney this year but we are very cautious because of the economy. If my mom is asking, it's because she is going to pay for the majority of the vacation. We are very close with my mom and do a lot with her since we are the only family she has. We lost my dad less than a year ago and she worries that life is just too short and you shouldn't skip the things you love to do. My boys are very young (the oldest will be 3 tomorrow) and she loves spoiling them. This is one of those big spoils. I just don't want to be pushy and ask how much we will be responsible for. She'll come out with the rest of the information in her own time. (Hopefully)