PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Downtown Disney vs. DHS

Momto3littlemice
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi all,

I know it is not acceptable to park at Downtown Disney when going to a theme park in order to get free parking. However, we have a day on our itinerary where we start the day at DHS and end up at downtown disney. I was considering whether we should park (we will have cars) at DHS and then move the cars or if it is okay to park at downtown disney, take a bus from Saratoga Springs to DHS so our car would be there when we were finishing our day there. I am not trying to beat the system, just possibly having my car in a more convenient spot.

What is your opinion on the best way to handle the cars on a day split between DHS and DD?

Thanks!:mickey:

Strmchsr
01-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Since the rule is to park at the parks I think it's best to park at DHS and move your when you're finished at the theme park. Whether you intend to or not, parking at DTD and then going to the parks would be circumventing the rules. I don't know if you're staying on site or not, but if you are it's free to park at the theme parks.

Momto3littlemice
01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks! That's sort of what I figured. I tend to be a VERY by the books rule follower so that would probably be most comfortable. We are staying offsite this year so it will make a difference - but obviously were planning to pay for parking every day. :mickey:

joelkfla
01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Speaking strictly for myself, not representing Disney in any way:

I have never seen any actual rule against parking at DTD and transferring to the park.

As long as you are returning to DTD at the end of the day, I say you have a legitimate reason to park there. Bus pickups start at 9 a.m., so you will have to walk to SS before then.

If you feel a bit guilty, then have breakfast at McD's (8 a.m.) or Earl of Sandwich (8:30 a.m.)

Imagineer1981
01-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Speaking strictly for myself, not representing Disney in any way:

I have never seen any actual rule against parking at DTD and transferring to the park.

As long as you are returning to DTD at the end of the day, I say you have a legitimate reason to park there. Bus pickups start at 9 a.m., so you will have to walk to SS before then.

If you feel a bit guilty, then have breakfast at McD's (8 a.m.) or Earl of Sandwich (8:30 a.m.)

Park at DTD, there is no rule against it, and its not like you are trying to beat the system.

JPL
01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Park at DTD, there is no rule against it, and its not like you are trying to beat the system.

Actually since you are not paying the parking fee at DHS it is in fact beating the system whether that was the OP's intent or not. I also know there are signs at DTD saying for DTD customers only all other maybe towed at owners expense.

jaredkari
01-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I may have not done the right thing. But a couple of years ago we were in Florida with my in-laws. We were staying in Cocoa Beach and couldn't all fit in one car to go to MK for a day. So we drove seperately then parked one car at DTD and all piled into one car for the final couple of miles and paid to park that car in the MK parking lot. We didn't get in trouble but maybe we just got lucky. We will not do that in the future.

Giggy
01-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Actually since you are not paying the parking fee at DHS it is in fact beating the system whether that was the OP's intent or not. I also know there are signs at DTD saying for DTD customers only all other maybe towed at owners expense.

Technically they would be DTD customers as they have also been spending time there aswell. I think the main problem would arise if they got straight out of the car and jumped straight on the bus.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-22-2009, 11:15 PM
In all honesty, it'll be easier to just take the car from DHS to DTD.

Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the bus to a resort (20 minutes) then a bus to DHS (another 20 minutes) and then repeat the process again to get to DTD at the end of the day.

So you can spend up to 40 minutes to save $12....or spend $11 and get to DTD within 10 minutes.

Buttercup
01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I was going to say the same thing as Cap'n Jessica Sparrow.
The buses at DTD are few and far between, so you're going to have to wait a while for one to show up.
There's no direct bus from DTD to any of the parks, so instead you're gonna have to go to a resort, hop off the bus, and then wait for the DHS bus to come along.

Not worth it in my opinion. :mickey:

RocknBev
01-23-2009, 09:13 AM
I agree with Cptn JS and Buttercup...the wasted time in transportation is not worth the money!

I mean you are already spending quite a bit for tix to WDW....what is a little more for parking so you can spend more time in the park...and less time with all of the transfers...and that would be two sets of transfers....there and back?

Momto3littlemice
01-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It wasn't the $11 I was worried about, more just trying to make sure the car is in a convenient place. It is our first time in a long time staying offsite so the moving the car thing is making me nervous! I appreciate all your responses!:mickey:

joelkfla
01-23-2009, 03:30 PM
In all honesty, it'll be easier to just take the car from DHS to DTD.

Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the bus to a resort (20 minutes) then a bus to DHS (another 20 minutes) and then repeat the process again to get to DTD at the end of the day.

So you can spend up to 40 minutes to save $12....or spend $11 and get to DTD within 10 minutes.
As the OP said in their followup, in this case it's more a matter of convenience than beating the parking fee.

I believe they implied they were willing to walk to SSR for the a.m. bus, so only a 10 minute walk and 1 bus ride.

And the traffic between DHS and DTD can be a real bear in the evening, plus the hassle of finding a parking spot at DTD compared to the relative ease in the morning.

All things considered, I think the times are about equal. And they could walk back to DTD from SSR in the evening, or take a little more time and enjoy a scenic boat ride from POR or OKW.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-24-2009, 12:54 AM
I never said, nor implied, that was the case. I was just pointing out that the 40+ minutes of travel to me wasn't convenient over spending the $11. I didn't think she was skipping the fees.

joelkfla
01-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Jessica - sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had implied that the OP was implying to do anything dastardly.

Just that the convenience of having your car where you end the day is one preferred by many, and IMO the inconveniences are minimal in this case. The cost saving is just a bonus.