PDA

View Full Version : Good restaurants for kids

khunter
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
We are going to Disney May 2-9. This will be my boys 6 & 3 1/2 first trip to Disney and we want to make sure they have a great time. Do you have any suggestions as to places that we should not miss taking them to eat? My older one will eat anything and right now my youngest is on a cereal kick, he can eat 1-2 boxes of cereal a week. But by then who knows what he will be into, the usual kids stuff, hot dogs, macaronni, chicken nuggets. Thanks for your help!:mickey:

MegPeg85
01-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Sci Fi in DHS is a great atmosphere for kids! It's set up to look like a drive-in movie theater. Last time I was there, they had a menu with hamburgers, chili, etc. It's always tasty. I enjoy the restaurant a lot.

50's Prime Time in DHS is also fun. It's more like a homestyle food place. The servers are hilarious!

Teppan Edo in Epcot World Showcase is one that is very fun to watch. It's entertaining since it's hibachi. I am pretty sure they have a menu for children as well. I'm a fan of Japanese food, so if you like it, I'm sure you'll love that restaurant.

Whispering Canyon Cafe in the Wilderness Lodge is so fun for kids! They have horse races around the restaurant. It's family-style serving with BBQ and things like that. I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic dinner. It's definitely family-friendly.

gwfx1031
01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I also suggest the Sci Fi in HS. Lot's of fun.

Chef Mickey's is great too for food and character interactions.

Natazu
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Jym's Top-7 Best WDW Restaurants for Little Kids:
7. Coral Reef
6. Hoop-Dee-Do
5. Whispering Canyon Cafe
4. Garden Grill
3. Marrakesh
2. Teppanyaki
1. 'Ohana

SBETigg
01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Garden Grill, Liberty Tree Tavern, 'Ohana (breakfast with characters or dinner with activities), Whispering Canyon Cafe, Sci Fi Dine In, and any of the character meals (provided your children aren't afraid of the characters). My son would have loved the T. Rex restaurant coming in at that age, but not sure when it opens. Similarly, young kids enjoy Rainforest Cafe.

I would add that at young ages, kids can be as happy at a more adult restaurant that offers good kids menu choices, so you may want to look at the Info Central section under Dining: Menus, and decide what appeals to you then bring the kids along. Almost all WDW restaurants are very kid friendly.

gerald72
01-20-2009, 04:40 PM
My guys say Boma, Whispering Canyon, Chef Mickeys, Planet Hollywood, and Pizza Planet.

wendy*darling
01-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Jym's Top-7 Best WDW Restaurants for Little Kids:
7. Coral Reef
6. Hoop-Dee-Do
5. Whispering Canyon Cafe
4. Garden Grill
3. Marrakesh
2. Teppanyaki
1. 'Ohana
Gotta say... this list is practically perfect and pretty darn comprehensive. :thumbsup:
Our first BIG trip was when our sons were 3 & 6 and we ate at just about everyone of these on that trip! And if not on that trip- then the next one at 6 & 9 years.
The only one I would add that my sons enjoyed all through the years(and still do at 18 & 21) is Crystal Palace with Pooh & Friends.

I have to say, although we do enjoy Sci-Fi now- they didn't as much when they were younger. It is dark and you don't really all sit "together" in the car. It's like a real car- so it's 2 in the front seat and 2 in the back- all facing forward. The lighting is dim and the movie clips are sometimes a tad scary (depending on your kids). Very cool environment, but I'd wait until they were a little older.

Stick with Jym's list and you won't go wrong!! :D

kakn7294
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Whispering Canyon is fun if you don't mind all the noise and your kids are not shy. Chef Mickey's (Mickey & pals), Crystal Palace (Pooh & pals), and 'Ohana (Stitch) are great character meals (good for boys). We haven't been there but Hollywood & Vine has a Playhouse Disney-themed character breakfast if your younger son is into that. My DD's enjoyed Tony's, Sci-Fi, Prime Time, and the Plaza Restaurant. Coral Reef has a huge aquarium but loses it's charm when you sit in the back, away from the tank. I haven't been to Hoop-Dee-Do in years but it's a fun show - many of the gags will be over yours boys' heads but the show is fast-paced and entertaining with a lot of singing and dancing. We haven't been to T-Rex but my girls want to go - they say it looks awesome!

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-20-2009, 06:15 PM
My DD, now 10 recommends the following places:

Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Whispering Canyon Cafe (don't forget to ask for ketchup).

She also liked Garden Grill at Epcot and loved Donald's breakfast at Tusker House.

kemps@wdw
01-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Hoop-Dee-Doo :thumbsup:
Chef Mickey's Character B'fast :thumbsup:
Whispering Canyon (WL) :thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Hoop-Dee-Doo :thumbsup:
Chef Mickey's Character B'fast :thumbsup:
Whispering Canyon (WL) :thumbsup:
Sci-Fi Diner :thumbsup:
Pecos Bill's :thumbsup:
T-Rex :thumbsup:

Just to name a few!

SBETigg
01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Coral Reef has a huge aquarium but loses it's charm when you sit in the back, away from the tank.

Or when your meal takes three hours. The fish only amuse the kids for so long. I think it's one of the worst places for younger kids.

Disney Doll
01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
I would vote for any character meals. Chef Mickey's (Mickey & Friends) is good. We also love Crystal Palace (Pooh & friends). Ohana is also fun because there are activities for the kids to do during the meal. That way they are not sitting and getting bored. They teach them Hawaiian songs, parade around the restaurant, and do coconut races.

ElenitaB
01-21-2009, 03:16 PM
We went the very first time when my DS was five. One restaurant that has stayed at the top of our list is CP. Now as he's hitting the teens, he's embarassed to be with the characters but he still appreciates the buffet.

I concur with Sherri about SciFi. My DS would ride just about any ride (with certain exceptions between ages 7 and 9 that surprisingly were not the thrill rides :secret: ) but SciFi creeped him out. Your mileage may vary, but it's also good to keep in mind that you won't all be sitting around a regular table.

wire0monkey
01-22-2009, 02:52 PM
All of the Disney restaurants make efforts to bend over backwards to deal with families with kids. It's hard to find a restaurant that is a bad experience for kids.

Here are my family's favorites:

1. Cape May Cafe (breakfast)
2. Boma (breakfast and dinner)
3. California Grill
4. Le Cellier
5. Biergarten

Some of our least favorite places ('Ohana and Whispering Canyon) are other people's favorites, so you might want to get a guidebook or a good website and scope them out for yourself.

SheLovesDisney
01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
My kids' (ages 7 and 3) faves :

1. O'hana
2. Hoop Dee Doo Review
3. Crystal Palace Breakfast
4. Biergarten
5. Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House